General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

tundra commercial

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
I have not, sounds badass though. Bet those ricers never knew what hit 'em
Yeah. They never make eye contact at the next light.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oifish
I got the new issue of Car and Driver and the new Toyota comes in 3rd, then the Nissan and 1st is the Silverado.

I guess GM stepped up because C&D usually loves imports over domestics
+1 on that one, thats why I cancelled my subscription to C&D. Biased *** holes
Old 03-05-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SHINER
what about me??

My bad SHINER, feel free to lock the **** out of this thread
Old 03-05-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Man I started a thread about what options I could get on a 5.3 CHEVY truck and got my thread locked in about an hour, this crap is on Tundras! Lock this thread......yea i'm whinning
Old 03-05-2007, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

My dad has an 04 4dr f250 w/ 6.0L and I've beaten so many ricers in it.
Have you seen Ford's new Twin-Turbo diesel?
Yes, have you seen the cab removal procedure to work on the Ford new diesel engine (here is a short discussion on that topic)?
http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbt...1&fpart=1&vc=1

I agree with those who said that here in the States, Chevy/Dodge/Ford trucks have somewhat proved their strengths and weaknesses. Time will show how reliable these new Toyota heavy-duty trucks are.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
The two and only Toyota trucks my family owned had both motors and trannies go out before 120k miles. And that was with fairly mild use, great quality my ***, the Silverado I use as a beater has 280k miles on it and the motor and tranny have never been rebuilt. Thats some Toyota propaganda.....
Did I say trucks??? Hmmmm I meant Toyota brand in general.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:20 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,690 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Originally Posted by Toxic Texan
My wife and I have had Toyotas, right along side our GM cars for 10s of thousands of miles. Here is what I've learned: The Toyotas break just as often, and when they do, factory Toyota parts are more expensive than factory GM parts. My overall cost of ownership has been cheaper with the GM cars. That's way these days, I'm a 100% GM owner only. Though there are some Fords I would consider as well.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Toxic Texan
When you responded to me the first time I was talking about trucks, if you werent responding to me then nevermind.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by darom
Yes, have you seen the cab removal procedure to work on the Ford new diesel engine (here is a short discussion on that topic)?
http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbt...1&fpart=1&vc=1

I agree with those who said that here in the States, Chevy/Dodge/Ford trucks have somewhat proved their strengths and weaknesses. Time will show how reliable these new Toyota heavy-duty trucks are.
Sort of off topic but...

You mean just to work on the engine, the cab (place where you sit) has to be removed? Are there just pieces or do you need a friggen crane to take this thing off? Kind of seems odd to me...

Anyone got any pictures of something like this? Is it something kind of like what the semi trucks do with the nose of their truck where they pull it forward and the whole engine is there?

Diesels were not only suppose to get better mileage than gasoline engines but also be less maintenance was my general understanding of them...
Old 03-05-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya know, I wouldn't really care if people bought imports if it truly were a fair market. Aint the case, Japan inparticular taxes the crap out of American imports... Free market my butt.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

We'll see. Jap auto makers have always made more of a car truck. Im sure they have done their homework tryin to roll with the big dogs. Why not the best looking I bet it lasts
Old 03-05-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not sure there is that big of a difference between the technologies in the two, both domestic and imports are much more complicated and that much harder to work on. I know that was always my argument, they broke just as much and imports just cost more.....94 prelude starter 120+ bucks, 95 ford f 150....50 bucks and I can change it in less than thirty minutes. It came down to an easy choice to me. I just think about the new trucks and that active fuel management system thing gets me all nervous thinking about a cam swap!
Old 03-06-2007, 03:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sapper_daddy
I'm not sure there is that big of a difference between the technologies in the two, both domestic and imports are much more complicated and that much harder to work on. I know that was always my argument, they broke just as much and imports just cost more.....94 prelude starter 120+ bucks, 95 ford f 150....50 bucks and I can change it in less than thirty minutes. It came down to an easy choice to me. I just think about the new trucks and that active fuel management system thing gets me all nervous thinking about a cam swap!

I dunno if you have heard of it or not buttttttttttt.

Hp Tuners.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:40 AM
11 Second Club

Ok I read this whole thread and I have a few comments. First off I work at the Tundra plant in Indiana and I can assure you that all 5K+ american employees take a lot of pride in their work. Their aren't many parts on the Tundra that arent built in America. The engines are built in Alabama alot of parts come from Michighan and most built right around the plant. This area was dead before this plant showed up it brought in thousands of jobs and money to this community and to Indiana. I really enjoy working for them as well. Good benefits and a great work environment. I have talked to many managers that have worked for other car manufactures in the big 3 and most of them have said that the quality is much higher than they were use to seeing. The other companies build build build but we only build what is ordered making our build lower which in turn increases our quality. Why do you think lexus has such awesome quality! Anyway it is american made and it's not a ****** entertainment center. In the end you get what you pay for.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro52R
I have always said...If you wanna buy japenese..move to Japan.

Now,you will get the nay sayers.."Oh..well its built in America...and I love toyota. Toyota is the best. I've got toyota hats and my wife has a toyota lower back tattoo..Toyota is #1"

So I reply" OK...so If i buy a entertainment center from Target that says Made in Chine,but I assemble it in my living room,does that make it Made in America?"
+1 for this point of view!!
Old 03-06-2007, 04:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've heard they are having problems with the new motor's in the Tundra's. I have a MT that does a comparo of the Tundra and Chevy and Motor Trend is a huge backer of foreign ****. They still said the Chevy was the better deal and overall was a nice truck. GM, Ford and Dodge have nothing to worry about when it comes to trucks. They have the market there~Cole~
Old 03-06-2007, 08:08 AM
11 Second Club

most Toyota's are made in the us and there is nothing wrong with Toyota, I own a Camry for a daily driver, but as for the new truck, it is the ugliest thing ever, even if it has a big rear end and big brakes it still looks like ***. I would only consider this truck for a pure work truck, and by work I mean construction work. (or demo)
Old 03-06-2007, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how is this LSX RELATED?!!! lol, I think you guys should REREAD what Mr. Bungle has said in his post. The Toyotas use american made parts, assembled by Americans and god knows DESIGNED by Americans. Toyota has a relatively good product, In fact I was watching 'Top Gear', where in one of the seasons they try to destroy it(i'll try and find the link), but each time all they are allowed is hand tools to get it goin again, and after being submerged in water, strapped to a building that was blwn up and something else I cant remember, it turned out to run every time....mind you this was the european version, and a I believe 2 model generations old, maybe more. But getting back to Mr. Bungles post, i worked in a Ford Plant for over 22 months, and after that will tell you I will NEVER buy a Ford, since everything is opposite there, no team, no good management. They cut corners wherever they could in plant operation, so one tends to believe a lot of that mentality gets carried over to their vehicles. GM I hear is better, and I know the Chrysler 300C/Magnum factory i worked at for a week was MUCH better overall for cleanliness, environment and machinery. Not to say in any of this i would BUY a toyota truck, i just believe they are becomin a contender in the F/S truck sector
Old 03-06-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rawr256
Sort of off topic but...

You mean just to work on the engine, the cab (place where you sit) has to be removed? Are there just pieces or do you need a friggen crane to take this thing off? Kind of seems odd to me...

Anyone got any pictures of something like this? Is it something kind of like what the semi trucks do with the nose of their truck where they pull it forward and the whole engine is there?

Diesels were not only suppose to get better mileage than gasoline engines but also be less maintenance was my general understanding of them...

Yes that is true.

Even with the 03-06 6.0 Powerstokes it is alot easier to reomve the complete cab to do any kind of major engine work (ie. remove heads,etc)

Ford had its share of problems and recalls w/ the 6.0,its a good engine,just has alot of problems.

Don't get me wrong. The Duramax had its share of injector problems in 01-04.5.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Here are a few pictures of the Ford truck with its cab lifted. I've borrowed the pictures from here:
http://turbodieselregister.com/forum...ord+cab+remove
(you have to be a member of the site to see the rest of the posts)
Attached Thumbnails tundra commercial-attachment1.jpeg   tundra commercial-attachment2.jpeg