General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Bought a car, turned out to have Rebuilt title, owner wont respond...what can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not7Fifteen, 2 things, did you take a loan out to buy this vehicle, if you did your bank should have ran a carfax on it before funding your loan, if carfax states its clean and its really not you've got a case right there. 2, you probably will have issues with insurance with a rebuilt/salvage title, may not be able to get full coverage on it.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i've had full coverage on a couple salvaged titles. My '00 V6 Camaro was salvaged and since i had a loan it HAD to have full. No problems with American Family Insurance
Old 04-03-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jon5212
Not7Fifteen, 2 things, did you take a loan out to buy this vehicle, if you did your bank should have ran a carfax on it before funding your loan, if carfax states its clean and its really not you've got a case right there. 2, you probably will have issues with insurance with a rebuilt/salvage title, may not be able to get full coverage on it.
Sadly, I bought it with my chase card with a balance trasnfer check, and then paid an additional $130 to have 0% interest the entire life of the "loan" as long as no late payments happen... So, no carfax was run prior, I trusted the guy as I've met him personally before and talked to him on the local board a few times about the car.
I didn't even think about the insurance I've got full coverage right now, but everytime I call in a new car to be insured they DO ask what the title status is so I'm hoping they don't drop my coverage...
Old 04-03-2007, 04:18 PM
11 Second Club

Default stfu

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
"Clear" Title = NO Liens!!

"Clean" Title =NON Salvage Title!!
how old are you.
look the words up in a dictionary.they have "CLOSE" to the same meanming.
unless he got it in writing "notarised" its his car now.
ive bought and sold too many cars for some smartyass to tell me what a title is.

to the OP it was stupid to purchase a car without looking at the title.
better luck in the future

The world is full of rip offs and smart asses.
never trust anyone
Old 04-03-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ColeTrains'96Z28
i've had full coverage on a couple salvaged titles. My '00 V6 Camaro was salvaged and since i had a loan it HAD to have full. No problems with American Family Insurance
That is state dependant on where you live. Insurance company probably will not drop you, they just may not let you put comp/coll coverage on it (i work for an insurance company). Since its not actually a loan you may be SOL.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

As a matter of fact, Mythbusters did test the sugar in a gastank and it didn't do anything. They tried a bunch of stuff and the only thing, that I recall, that killed the engine was bleach.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:41 PM
TECH Junkie

where in florida does he live?

This sucks man- one of lifes little lessons. I just hope someone that reads this won't make the same mistake.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Gulf Breeze wherever that is....

Yeah, no matter how well you think you know someone or thier car, run a carfax before thinking to make a purchase, don't trust anyone...
Old 04-04-2007, 03:19 AM
On The Tree

I would have to lay the hammer to him if I were you. He knew full well what he was selling you, he lied. Courts may not help, but judges do hate scum like him, small claims may be worth a try. I personally would have never paid 1 penny UNTIL the title was in my fat little hand, I just dont trust people I dont know....hell I dont trust some people I do know Im the type of person that will spend $100 to get you to pay me $1, its a matter of principal.
My course of action would be to threaten him with legal action and then follow up if possible....if that dont work then physical violence threats come next....if all else fails I would find out his address and drive to that state and place a lien on his property, just tell them you painted the interior of his house and he refuses to pay. I had a lien placed on my house by a landscape supply company I never heard of, turns out the guy I hired to do some stone work wrote them a bad check for $1100 and since they delivered the stone to my driveway, the lien was on my house. I contacted my lawyer I used when purchasing the home and he said its very legal and will stick.....I got the stone workers address from his bank, they said he had $13000 in bad checks on that account..... I show up at his house on a Saturday morning, ring the doorbell and he answers...I tell him we have a major problem and he says he will pay the landscape company, I told him I know because we are going there now... I took this POS from his house to his bank to the landscape supply to pay, he also felt the pimp hand when we got back to his house
Old 04-04-2007, 03:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by not7fifteen
If you're saying this under presumption that I asked if it was "CLEAR" like the other guy, please read my post right above yours.
If you're responding in accoradance to my post telling him he should've read what I said up top a little closer, then my pardon.
Nah,.....I was agreeing with you guy. The whole thing sux *** tho. But too be quite honest,.......salvage tittle cars aren't always bad. Mine's a salvage title and she's fine!
Old 04-04-2007, 04:00 AM
Launching!

prove that he didnt mention to you that it was rebuilt and see if you can take his *** to court for fraud. he held crucial information about the car and sold it for the standard price of a clean title...ide be getting a new car my friend...just prove it. did it say salvage on the title?
Old 04-04-2007, 04:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
usually they say when its rebuilt, its stronger than the factory.
Wrong.

Depends on the type of rebuild.

I personally will never buy a salvaged or rebuilt car. Just my own piece of mind for knowing friends and family members that have owned them and had nothing but problems.

Especially flood cars with their electrical problems out the ***.

Not saying their aren't any good salvaged or rebuilt cars out there. Hell I'd own one if it was my car before it was rebuilt. But I only buy clean title cars personally.

Unless I was looking for a drag chassis.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SIC FUQR
prove that he didnt mention to you that it was rebuilt and see if you can take his *** to court for fraud. he held crucial information about the car and sold it for the standard price of a clean title...ide be getting a new car my friend...just prove it. did it say salvage on the title?
Crappy thing is I don't have any written proof, only what he said on the phone. And it says "REBUILT" on the title not "SALVAGE" so thats a plus I guess...
Old 04-04-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

salvage vs. rebuilt stamp varies from state to state. here in MN there is no Rebuilt title. It's always stamped salvage unless the vehicle is being parted out. i myself don't mind a rebuilt car but i inspect them very well as my dad does repairables and i know what to look for. I will however NEVER touch a flood car. I ALMOST bought a '01 black WS6, 6 speed, 19k miles for $4000 but it was a flood. Still needed to be fixed. I could have put all new harnesses in the car and new electronics and it probably would have been fine. The water level was just at the bottom of the seats. It wasn't being driven when it was flooded as it still started and ran fine. If it was running when it flooded it would have sucked water in and not ran anymore.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Teching In

i am going through the same thing. i sold my 03 cobra with a rebuilt title. i told him in person at my bank that it had one and he seemed not to car. three days after i sold it. He said he wants his money back but i was wondering what can he do?
Old 08-16-2010, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's too bad you were in such a hurry to get rid of your money.

Research, patience, and skepticism are your friends. Remember, regardless of how shiny a car is it's still a business deal.

Live and learn.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:40 AM

So sad you have gone through this mess. A lot of people like this just to sell their crappy stuff. They are good at it and if you are innocent they can really convince you to buy. I just do hope it wont happened again to anyone in here. This is a good lesson to take.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You probably can not do anything - just learn.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:24 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,690 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Guys, this thread is 3 years old. No point in replying to the OP now, it's too late. Looks like this is the reply that brought it back up....

Originally Posted by nicksGXP
i am going through the same thing. i sold my 03 cobra with a rebuilt title. i told him in person at my bank that it had one and he seemed not to car. three days after i sold it. He said he wants his money back but i was wondering what can he do?
You should really start a new thread for this. Please do so in the Lounge though, as this is no longer about an LSx vehicle. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Bought a car, turned out to have Rebuilt title, owner wont respond...what can I do?