General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

So does it drive anyone else mad when...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey man I speak from the heart. I think I am going to create a powerpoint presentation to carry around on a laptop (which I will buy just for this) so I can deliver a 10 to 15 minute presentation on how the LS1 doesnt have anything in common with a small block, and why they should all slap the person on the back of the head to their immediate right. This might also be a good time to give a brief history of each of the generations of small block engines, and a good time for the slapping to continue. Only after each person knows why the LS engine is not a 350 will the diliverable sease...however the beatings will continue until they ask forgiveness for their ignorance.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
...someone says: "yeah, this here LS1 aint nuthin but an ol' 350"

and you say "Uh...no its entirely differ..."

and they cut you off and say "Its the same damn thing"

I go into a tangent then.

Does this happen to anyone else?
Tell em to pull out their stock 350 Chevy and pit it up against a stock LS1. ... Good way to shut someone up and end this debate......Oh and No..never had anyone say this to me before!
Old 04-04-2007, 03:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ohh im forever gettin the "OH MANNNNNN its an SLP SS!!!"(the emblem is on the back) ....gawd that **** gets old...and yea y ARE people impressed when they hear its a 6peed .....hehe the best thing i get at gas stations is the stare...and i just look and say before they ask a dumb question..."yea that lope is normal"
Old 04-04-2007, 04:05 AM
Launching!

some little kids riding there bikes around my neighborhood saw me pull up and were like(not to me, to his buddies) wow, look at that camaro z28!!! I DRIVE THE BATMOBILE NOT THE CATFISH....after i realized the kid was like 8...i laughed an decided it was a good thing he was on the right path to f-bodyism...just needed to know which car was which. i gladly explained to him
Old 04-04-2007, 04:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SIC FUQR
... I DRIVE THE BATMOBILE NOT THE CATFISH....
Old 04-04-2007, 04:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
what are you laughing at 4 eyes?!!
Old 04-04-2007, 07:01 AM
TECH Veteran

My GF's uncle works on all their cars and stuff so when me and my gf you know actually got together well their was finally another car guy in the picture lol.

One day when i get to my GF's house he and my gf's brother are working on the her moms like 92 mercury gran marquis (not for sure of the year) so i walk over and ask what happened so they tellme its not wanting to start. Well thats when i look at the intake, it says 5.0, so i say hey thats same engine as the old mustangs. He says ya it will get up and go . So i proceed to say "ya not to bad i guess for a 302ci" so the uncle is like 302???? No its WAYYY bigger than a 302, i kinda laugh inside, and then just walked inside.

Then when i drove my trans am over to her house and he was there, he walked outside and was like hay man this is pretty sweet, can you pop the hood? I'm like sure, so i pop it for him and he looks at the stickers on the shock tower where it says engine size. He said "DAMNN this thing is a 5.7????" i was like ya then he says "thats bigger than the one in my truck" I just laugh and say yep . Then he said "man i bet that thing Sucks some GAS" Thats when i told him i get like high 20s on the interstate as long as i keep my foot out of it. He just kinda looked shocked, then he hit me with the whole 350 thing bc of the 5.7L i just said ya bc i didn't want to make my GF's uncle look like a dumbass.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

Oh if you tell someone that you get 30mpg on a roadtrip they think you're lying and almost get mad...like its impossible.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh if you tell someone that you get 30mpg on a roadtrip they think you're lying and almost get mad...like its impossible.

lol, yeah that happens more so than anything. usually someone will be like "wow you must be fillin gas all the time", then i tell em its pretty good overall gas-wise, then tell em my revs in 6th gear @ 120(75mph) and thats when people think Im totally full of ****, ah well
Old 04-04-2007, 10:44 AM
12 Second Club

You can't be too mad at people for thinking it's a 350. I mean, up until a while after I got my car I didn't know any better even. All i had ever seen written was 5.7L, so I thought 350ci. Unless you're saying that they are actually thinking you have an old SBC 350, then yes, that is a little too much wrong for me... I definitely knew it was a LS1, but I didn't know it was 346 instead of 350 like the SBC's and LT1's until a while after I got it when I looked it up because I was making a profile of my car on a website. Not everyone knows a lot about this car specifically, and believe it or not, they are trying to be nice by starting a conversation with you about something that they assume you are interested in . Unless they are arguing with you... then nevermind, prove them wrong .
Old 04-04-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

I mean if your talkin technically its a 346 and some change I forgot the exact number, but I mean I still dont see why its such a big deal... I mean 346.xx is damm close to a 350, I mean if your talkin to fellow LS1 enthusists (sp) then yea talk technical but for your everyday average person 4 cubic inches isnt worth bitching about IMO
Old 04-04-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Veteran

When I was in high school (class of 99) I thought the LT1 was faster than the LS1. Hell, probably was considering no one knew how to mod the LS1 at the time. However, I thouhgt the LT1-year Camaros came with both 305's and 350's and five speeds.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Yes, well most people do argue it with me. As far as I know there isnt a single part that will fit both. It would be like trying to mix 5.0 parts with a cummins. Both V8s, but entirely different engine. The LS1 began its life in 1991 (i think) on paper.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

Here are the differences between the Gen III and Gen I, gen III being the first listed: (all facts from the book "How to build High-performance chevy ls1/ls6 v8's)

Block Length: 519mm (LS1)
Block Length: 553.2mm (LT1)
Block Width: 460mm
Block Width: 434.6mm
Deck Height: 9.240 Inch
Deck Height: 9.025
Firing order: 18726543
Firing order: 18436572
Bank offset: .9488 inch
Bank offset: .88 inch
Main caps: 4 vertical & 2 side
Main caps: mostly 2 bolt, some 4. No side provisions.
Distributor Drive: No provisions
Distributor Drive: drive at rear of cam
Weight: 430lbs (LS1)
Weight: 531lbs (most gen I and II)
Connecting Rod: 6.098" on center beam con. rod
Connecting Rod: 5.7" offset rod 0.006 inch in piston
Piston Pin Diameter: .940 inch
Piston Pin Diameter: .927
Crank thrust bearing location: #3 main bearing
Crank thrust bearing location: rear main
Cylender head ports: Replicated
Cylender head ports: Mirrored
Oil pump: driven off crank
Oil pump: driven off distributor
Thermostat location: Inside water pump
Thermostat location: Exit side of engine
Intake inlet temp control: No coolant or hot oil touches intake
Intake inlet temp control: water passes thru and oil hits bottom of intake
Intake manifold: Nylon
Intake manifold: Cast iron or aluminum
Old 04-04-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

Here are the similarities: (from the same book)

Same 4.4" bore spacing (not the bore)
90 degree cylender banks
two overhead valves
valvetrain is oiled thru pushrods
con rod crank pin diameter is 2.1"
lifter diameter is .842"
single piece rear main seal
starter and oil filter are on the same side as before
Old 04-04-2007, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

So in other words, they're the same engines.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

This happens to me basically every time I drive my car. My car is pretty loud and it "hits a lick" like everyone in ******* KY likes to say.

Them: I bet this things sucks gas. What kinda gas mileage you get man?

Me: I get about 15 in town driving it pretty easy. I get about 25 on the highway too.

Them: *Deer in headlights*

Me: *Walk away*

Oh and with the cubic inches game, I just thought I'd throw this in there. The big block 396, as some of you may know, actually displaces 402 cubic inches in the 1970 and later versions. Tell someone that at a car show and what people just lose there ******* minds.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:01 AM
Launching!

I had a guy come up to me in the gas station and tell me that "my car sounded like two gorillas was on the inside trying to beat there way out of my tree fittyy" I didnt know whether he was talkin good or bad about my car.
The main thing I hate is rednecks sportin there freshly cut mullets yellin at me a red lights tellin me to "smokem down"
Old 04-05-2007, 06:16 AM
TECH Addict

I need to learn to let it go and just be cool with sayin "yeah" when i get 350d by somebody.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hardtopz28
I had a guy come up to me in the gas station and tell me that "my car sounded like two gorillas was on the inside trying to beat there way out of my tree fittyy" I didnt know whether he was talkin good or bad about my car.