General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Vote what kind of gas?
Sonoco
7.69%
Shell
37.76%
Sheetz
1.40%
BP
14.69%
EXXON
13.99%
Other (list in post)
24.48%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

What kind of gas do you guys use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think BP is Amoco. like Lukoil is Mobil. ive posted this many times before....all gas, name-brand anyway, is basically all the same. the differance comes down to price, and the individual station. most oil companies buy time off a common pipeline, so theyre all getting the same gas. then they add their own additives.....how much that really works, who knows. thats like saying quakerstate 4x4 oil is really better for your 4x4 truck then anything else.....or that 'gives more torque' oil will actually give you more torque. just a sales gimmic.
for my TA, i get the cheapest name brand 91/93 octane. my daily driver truck, the cheapest name brand regular.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sbcpower
Do any of you guys have a station called RACEWAY that sells 100 octant gas?
I have a couple raceway stations around my area but I've never stopped there to see what octanes they have available.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by styoung
i hate to tell you but as far as i know it is all the same gas, it is a open market.
That happens to be incorrect, and that's a myth.

It can be proven. It could come from the same refinery, but each gasoline company does it own crap to it.

Chevron/Texaco adds "Techron"
Shell adds "V-Power" etc etc.

Wal-Mart/Sam's has been proven to liquidate their gas with low ionized water.
QT : does some more than Wal-Mart

Hate to say it, but it DOES matter what brand you use. Stay with mainline stations, preferably ones that are owned by the company and not a "private investor".

Try to get your gas BEFORE they pump new gas to fill the stations tanks.
Try to stick to "new" stations, because the "old" stations could have quite a bit of sediment being mixed up in the gas.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

There is really no such thing as a Brand Name gas anymore. The Shell you buy today was probably BP yesterday and fine tuned to individual specs, sometimes right at the time of delivery by the truck. Major commodities like gas, which come from a few central refineries, are bought and traded on a daily basis. Like Enron was doing with electricity. Each company does not have it's own refineries and distribtuion networks. If you really believe that each individual gas company trucks their own personal blend to each station. Well, that's just a little naive. It's all branding and marketing. Get premium always and leave the brand names for TV.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

shell v-power.... since i have had the car.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:15 PM
Teching In

The whole gas situation is BS, along with half the other bullshit we're fed on a daily basis. I like the point raised before how the signs just change from day to day at certain stations. I delivered parts when I was in HS and some of the stations we delivered to would switch 'brand names' but the management and everything stayed the same. The pumps were the same, the tanks were the same. Sunoco went to Citgo, same guys, name changed from Hi-Tech Sunoco to Hi-Tech Citgo, the only thing I don't know for sure, I don't think Sunoco actually came and emptied the tanks and Citgo came and filled them up all in a few days or w/e, but again, I'm not sure.

Secondly, serious question here, if anyone knows please inform me; why is it that gas prices are always seemingly more expensive, yet the price of motor oil does not change? Don't they both come from the same crude oil from the earth? I must be missing something important to justify the price changes in the gasoline and diesel fuel, but no change in motor oil. Again, I'm hoping it isn't a stupid embarassing question, but I'd like to know.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Off topic warning here; just since we're on the topic of gasoline here thought I'd chime in an interesting story. About a year or so ago, I went to a local shell station, and tried filling my tank w/ premium gas. Unfortunately in the state of NJ we are forced to allow attendants to pump our gas; so I asked the attendant to fill 'er up with premium. Everything is going cool until the pump stops at $15 and my fuel level isn't near full. When the guy returns I asked him to please finish fueling the car as I thought the pump was at an error. He told me they were very busy and I had to go, there was a car behind me waiting to pull to my pump so I gave the guy $15 and pulled up to the next pump. The guy (arab #1) is now helping the new car, so I go find the guy from the other side (arab #2) and ask him to help me out. This guy couldnt understand what I was telling him and was now demanding that I pay him $35 as shown on the screen from the pump I just pulled up to, which was from the last customer, but you know how the numbers stay up until they clear them out. So I'm trying to explain to him that that's from the customer before me and I'm just pullin in trying to get some gas, so when it seems like he's getting it he asks so what do you want me to do. As I start to answer arab #1 returns and says to me I told you to leave, arab #2 interjects and says 'pay $35'. The two are then accusing me of stealing gas, then arab #1 yelling now says 'what do you want?!' and I yelled back 'just do your ******* job!' Arab #2 gets in my face, raises a fist and says 'what did you say?' Let me first say, I'm not a racist or anything, these guys really were arab so that's why I referring to them this way. Being that both these guys were rather small (arabs 1 and 2 < 5'8" 175lbs.) and I'm not really a small kid (6'1" 205lbs) I wasn't being intimidated by this character so I yell back at him 'gas mother ****** i want gas' arab #2 drops his fist, and i turn to arab #1 who apparently also had his hands clenched and starts screaming 'wtf do you want?!' and punches my car denting up my drivers side quarter. At this point I called the cops. Long story short, the station ended up getting shut down on the fact that the station had 2 illegal immigrants employed basically assaulting a customer haha. I fixed the dent and never took any legal action, figured it was a waste of time. Shell moved into a station further down the road, and I still buy from them today haha
Old 04-10-2007, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

******* ragheads....where in NJ was this? theres a valero on 17 in hasbrook heights that has a bunch of hindus working it. they treat your car like a leaning post. the one time i took my TA there, this little ***** put the nozzle in, then proceeded to lean his filthy, greasy little hand on my spoiler, leaving a dirty handprint on my freshly waxed black paint. the next time i took my truck there, i jumped out and pumped my own, blocking his dirty *** before he can touch anything. that was the last time i went. ill pay an extra .05 a gallon anywhere else rather then give these dirty ******* my money.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:00 PM
Teching In

Default addition

it was at the intersection of Rt.15 N/S and Berkshire Valley Rd. right by the Jefferson Township border in Morris County. Right by the New Orleans Steakhouse, if you've ever heard of it. The new shell is up rt. 15 a little further north on the southbound side, and the shell location that was closed is now under construction, looks like another gas station, they put in some high tech looking pumps, kinda like the BP styled ones.

BTW the 'new' shell I 'still' buy from is a converted Mobil, they have some european dudes workin there some guy and his kid, not sure what the accent is though. But I know what you mean, when I finally get the '02 I want no one is touching that car but me, not Hadji, and not Johnny Quest either, only me.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:10 PM
12 Second Club

Other, which ever is cheaper.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all i've heard is that BP is ****
Old 04-10-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

V-POWER FTW!! but a citgo by me has pump that has 103 or 105 or some race gas. It's where all the street racers fill up.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:28 PM
Launching!

Usually get Chevron unless theres not one around
Old 04-11-2007, 12:48 AM
TECH Addict

minimum 93 CHEVRON FTW!!!
Old 04-11-2007, 01:16 AM
12 Second Club

i go wherever but i mostly use sunoco b/c there's one at the top of my street
Old 04-11-2007, 08:19 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Blknight6989
V-POWER FTW!! but a citgo by me has pump that has 103 or 105 or some race gas. It's where all the street racers fill up.

Will it ever end... won't do a damn thing if the cars timing is set for 93...
Old 04-11-2007, 10:03 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

I always go to Mobil. 93 octane only for the LS1 car.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:08 AM
ino
TECH Enthusiast

93 and what ever is closest
Old 04-11-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Regular

No Chevron here, otherwise I'd use that.

Next up is Shell. Top Tier Gas plz
Old 04-11-2007, 10:52 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i say ever since the day i got my license, i've used sunoco 90% of the time. i get them because there are a lot of sunoco stations near my home, they're usually the cheapest, they're the only ones that have 91 octane and it's a good name brand, even if branding is often useless with gasoline.

sometimes i like to vary it up to avoid putting gas from the same place in my tank every time (as sometimes they have water in their storage area), so i'll fill up with wawa gas or something.

there are only two brands i refuse to buy: citgo because it's owned by that anti-american fuckbag venezuelan chavez and exxon because they are the most profit-hungry, largest oil company and have inferior products (e.g. they've destroyed mobil 1 oil and are marketing it by using an inferior product on a once-great name brand).
Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I always go to Mobil. 93 octane only for the LS1 car.
so you're a mod, now? it's about time.

Quick Reply: What kind of gas do you guys use?