General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

car trading question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default car trading question?

kind of simple i just dont know. If i wanted to trade cars what would all be needed to complete the transaction. My car isnt in my name would the person need to be there? anything other info?
Old 04-17-2007, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

yea pretty much you both sign the titles over to each other as if he was "buying" your car and you were "buying" his car, and then it would probally be a good idea to write up a bill of sale and have both of you guys sign it, like On such in such day, your name traded so in so cars and list both models and vin numbers and if theres any extra cash trading hands, and have both of you guys sign it, The more information the better, and you will need a notary (sp) for the titles so while your there might as well get the bill of sale notarized too, Just remember its better to be safe then sorry
Old 04-17-2007, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you still have a loan on you car? If you do, you will need to pay off the lein holder/bank to get the title in your hands before you can transfer it.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the way I got my car. It's basically the same as if you bought or sold a car: sign over your title or have whoever's name it is in sign it over, and sign your new title.

+1 for having an agreement notarized or written up by a lawyer. If it isn't then it would never stand in a courtroom if for whatever reason it came to that point.