General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

can't find a z28 around here

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by slikrider20
I think we all would. I'd like to work him down to about 11,000. It's valued at like not even 10k on KBB but i know he has some things on it.
That's a good asking price.....I wouldn't pay anymore than 11k myself.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad is telling me to stay away from T-tops because when they get old they leak...have you guys had problems with them?
Old 04-28-2007, 04:08 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

They only leak around the door window if you spray them directly with high pressure water like at a car wash. But, the hardtops do that too. Older cars with T-tops were designed differently, the newer ones do not leak like that anymore.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't worry about them leaking. Mine don't. That will reduce your chances of finding one by about 90%. I went out ing today so I figured I'd go down L street to see what i could find. I stopped at about 10+ dealerships and this is what I came up with.

98-02 Trans Am WS6 25,000 miles asking 22,500 very nice foose wheels but asking way too much!
98-02 Camaro Z28 125,000 miles asking 11,900....WAY too much. Very nice car none the less. Black, A4, very nice.
97 Camaro 30th anniversary edition 25,000 miles 14,000 WAY too much. Stick though.
98-02 Camaro white and some stock wheels.....wasn't very nice so I kept driving.

Dude that's all I found and I stopped at 10+ places. There's not much out there, but I'll keep my eye out. This one guy brought me inside to check the database and couldn't find anything after 20 minutes and I gave him a wrong number so he couldn't bother me about it. I got a whole bunch of compliments on my car though! I stopped at this one place that I had looked at before cuz they had a 98 SS a while back and he seen I found one and couldn't believe I was looking for another one for myself...haha But seriously dude take a good look at that silver one you found......it's very nice.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
They only leak around the door window if you spray them directly with high pressure water like at a car wash. But, the hardtops do that too. Older cars with T-tops were designed differently, the newer ones do not leak like that anymore.
Alright, Yeah hes definitely basing that around the older cars that he drove. But thats good news to hear. Thanks
Old 04-29-2007, 11:04 PM
TECH Resident

I sold my car, so i really need to find something now! The guy with the silver Camaro said he wont take under 12k for it..Is it true i couldn't even get a 3 year loan on a 99? I'd want at least a 4 year loan to cover that price..My dad's also tryin to keep me away from goin over 3 years cause he said thats ridiculous to go any longer
Old 04-30-2007, 03:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

You need to wait till next summer. Save some money. I paid cash for mine...nothing wrong with that. I couldn't stand making monthly payments.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:24 AM
TECH Resident

How much do you make? It'd take me forever to save that much up.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:35 AM
Launching!

I sold my car, so i really need to find something now! The guy with the silver Camaro said he wont take under 12k for it..Is it true i couldn't even get a 3 year loan on a 99? I'd want at least a 4 year loan to cover that price..My dad's also tryin to keep me away from goin over 3 years cause he said thats ridiculous to go any longer
Yeah, Im going to have to disagree with your dad, thats retarded for a kid your age.

I went with a 4 year, 3.9% loan on my 2000 Z28 (22000 miles, cost $14000 about 3 years ago) and that is running me $348 a month.

Now, on an $11000 loan, lets assume that SOMEHOW a kid like you can pull off a 7% loan (which wont happen Im sure, even w/ a cosigner, I bet you have **** for credit), a 3 year loan will run you $340 a month just about. A 4 year loan for $12000 at 7% will run you about $287.

Now, I dont know what kind of job you have, or your dad's job, but if he seems so quick to mock the fact of needing a longer loan as a younger kid then he must have plenty of cash in the 1st place, so tell him to pony up some of his own for you haha. I remember when I was 19 working full time at $7.50 an hour (this was only 4 years ago, by the way), I only pulled in $1000 or so after taxes I think. Thats beans if you ask me, and considering all the stuff you will need to pay to go with it (insurance is going to hurt you), a longer loan should NOT be out of the question. Loan rates blow *** right now, too - so that wont help you.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah i make 10 bucks an hour and i have about 3,000 down to put on it. So a 4 year loan would run me low 200's which would be easy.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I saved a couple thousand working at pizza hut fulltime during college...sucked...made 6/hr.
I quit college and worked at a factory making 11/hr but they had 17/hr overtime. And I managed to save 1500 a month after I paid rent, cell phone and other crap...so it can be done.
Now I'm in the military and a I don't make half what I used to...it really sucks so good luck with whatever you decide to do. If you think you can't wait one more year then I'd go with the 4 year loan...but i'd just wait if it were me. I think we figured it out that we make a bout 6/hr...i need to figure it out again cuz I got a raise. But at least I don't have rent anymore.

P.S. don't forget about taxes, registration, and crap. It ran me about $700 by the time i paid for the title and inspections and other random stuff, like license plates.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:14 AM
TECH Resident

Just another question. My dad also seems to think that the bank won't loan me the full amount. Keep in mind i have 0 credit. But he has awesome credit and we've been with them for years. Also, do you think they'll give me a 4 year loan on a 99 or 00? I was reading that they don't judge how long of a loan they'll give you on the year but rather the MSRP of the car. This is really pissing me off.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:29 AM
12 Second Club

I live in South Dakota and Ive found a bunch of LS1 cars, I would think Nebraska would be better than here. The only problem is I have yet to find a "good" deal or exactly what I want.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just another question. My dad also seems to think that the bank won't loan me the full amount. Keep in mind i have 0 credit. But he has awesome credit and we've been with them for years. Also, do you think they'll give me a 4 year loan on a 99 or 00? I was reading that they don't judge how long of a loan they'll give you on the year but rather the MSRP of the car. This is really pissing me off.
You should be able to get a loan for any amount, because "I think" your parents are going to HAVE to cosign for the loan, because they've gotta have something for collateral in case something goes wrong. And I'm guessing you don't own a house or anything like that. I know how you feel, I'm not sure my parents would get a loan for me or even cosign for a car of that amount, but yea I think that's how its gonna work.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:00 AM
Launching!

Assuming you get an AUTO loan, and not a PERSONAL loan, you can actually get MORE than the NADA value (note, they use NADA, not KBB). I could have gotten up to 15% MORE than the NADA value of my car (which was like, 16000 or something stupid, so I could have gotten a lot more to cover taxes/title fees).

If he makes you get a personal loan, feel free to bring lube, because the interest rate is going to hurt, even with your dad co-signing. Otherwise if he co-signs on an auto loan, it wont be too bad...but shop around, and get a good rate.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Resident

Well i have a car that i'm looking at, its in omaha. Heres the link, what do you guys think?

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

Also, i noticed the Z28 logos were taken off. Can i order some new ones? And how exactly are they attatched? I want everyone knowin its a Z28 lol
Old 05-01-2007, 11:52 PM
TECH Resident

Also, it has the square tip exaust. I'd probably just get a new muffler and some nice round tips. Where should i look to get a good muffler and tip package? I was lookin at magnaflow but i'm not sure if would like the sound. Help me out guys.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:56 PM
TECH Resident

good luck with that, I know its hard to find what you want cause everybody has they're tastes with certain colors and stuff... but its totally worth it to get what you want... good luck..!!
Old 05-01-2007, 11:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Not if you know how to ask the right questions to the seller, and request plenty of high quality photos. You simply send them a deposit to hold the car, fly out there and make the deal in person. Agree on a price before you fly out, and make sure that both of you agree on that price as long as the car is exactly as stated. If not, you can talk the seller down a bit or walk.

It isn't a waste of time if you find exactly what you are looking for.
Im believing the master of ls1tech
Old 05-02-2007, 12:02 AM
TECH Resident

We test drove a few mustang V6's.....i almost bought one. but then we stopped by a place with an older 96 z28...like 65k miles. Even with that LT1 damn does it scoot. and it was an auto.