General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

In the process of selling my car

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default In the process of selling my car

Ok, Im stuck in a position where I need help. See, Im selling my car, but Im still paying monthly payments on it. When I purchased it from the DEALERSHIP, they had to call around and find me a bank to get an auto loan from. Well, the bank is out of state, so I cant just go there in person. I took out an auto loan and the bank I borrowed money from has the title, I DONT. So how would I go about selling my car to a private seller when I dont even have the title in my hand? The bank told me it would take about 2-3 weeks to recieve the title in the mail after I payed off the loan. What do I do?
Old 05-05-2007, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

Either A. find enough Cash to pay off the loan to get the title or B. when you find a buyer your goin to have to go to the bank give them the check they will take what you still owe on the car and give you the rest then they will give you the title to sign over to the new buyer
Old 05-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

Well see heres the problem, the bank I took an auto loan from is from Pennsylvania and I live in Georgia, so going to the bank and getting the title is out of the question. And I dont have 11,000 grand strait up to just pay off the loan. So I really dont know what to do. Could the buyer maybe give me the money, I pay the bank, then they mail the title to me, and I then give it to the owner?
Old 05-06-2007, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep the car!
Old 05-06-2007, 01:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98BADAZZTA
Well see heres the problem, the bank I took an auto loan from is from Pennsylvania and I live in Georgia, so going to the bank and getting the title is out of the question. And I dont have 11,000 grand strait up to just pay off the loan. So I really dont know what to do. Could the buyer maybe give me the money, I pay the bank, then they mail the title to me, and I then give it to the owner?
Yes if you just tell them your story.. They should be very understanding...
Old 05-06-2007, 01:18 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not as uncommon as you think. You and the buyer can contact the bank,pay off the loan, explain the car has been sold, and they'll send the title to you to sign over OR sign a power of attorney form authorizing the buyer to assume ownership. The dealerships do that on a daily basis.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:08 AM
On The Tree

Yes, this is actually a common transaction. I bought my own car this way. Just call the bank and tell them what you want to do, and they'll tell you what you need to do.

-sectari
Old 05-06-2007, 04:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98BADAZZTA
Could the buyer maybe give me the money, I pay the bank, then they mail the title to me, and I then give it to the owner?
I mean he COULD, and I dont mean to be a dick, But I would NEVER hand someone a check for 11,000 + without seeing the title first, but thats just me. I mean Im sure your a straight forward person and arnt lookin to screw anyone over but theres ALOT of shaddy people in the world and you never know
Old 05-06-2007, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

thanks guys for everything. Im just gonna tell him whats going on and I hope he understands. Hopefully, everything goes smoothly.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Staging Lane

so i could just go to the dealership and just ask them for that power of attorney form and thats that? He would give me the money, him take the car, and just wait for the title to come in the mail?
Old 05-11-2007, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

I was wondering this myself, thanks for the info.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

call the bank and ask what your options are. They might even be willing to let the guy mail them the check, then mail him the title.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
call the bank and ask what your options are. They might even be willing to let the guy mail them the check, then mail him the title.
+1, one of the better options in my opinion.

if the guy's going through a bank, his bank is probably going to want to work directly with your bank anyway.