General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

do our cars have these?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 10:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it would most likely be in a place least likely to be touched in a collision, so the shifter console is a good probability.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

This info is usually checked in a case of a traffic homicide. One of our traffic homicide investigators needed the info from newer GMC truck. It required a search warrant to get in the car and a seperate search warrant to get the info from the box. I don't think it was just one box...I think the info was retained in the vehicle's computer
Old 05-10-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so 98's don't have them?
Old 05-10-2007, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

A few years ago I was on a bowling team with a GM service manager. At that time, I was having all kinds of problems with my 1996 Grand Am...engine randomly dying, missing, etc. It was constantly turning on the service engine light.

Anyway, one night he brought a portable computer, I think he called it a Tech 2000 or something and hooked it up to my car.

He was able to show me the instances where a code was thrown, and also the speed, the RPM's, and all kinds of other numbers that were captured at the instant the code was thrown.

So, if this was on a 96 Grand Am, I wouldn't be surprised if at least this information is also stored in Trans Ams as well.

Last edited by Rybo Flavin; 05-10-2007 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rybo Flavin
A few years ago I was on a bowling team with GM service manager. At that time, I was having all kinds of problems with my 1996 Grand Am...engine randomly dying, missing, etc. It was constantly turning on the service engine light.

Anyway, one night he brought a portable computer, I think he called it a Tech 2000 or something and hooked it up to my car.

He was able to show me the instances where a code was thrown, and also the speed, the RPM's, and all kinds of other numbers that were captured at the instant the code was thrown.

So, if this was on a 96 Grand Am, I wouldn't be surprised if at least this information is also stored in Trans Ams as well.
every gm vehicle with obd 2 can be hooked up to their tech 2
they have a tech 3 now actually, but yeah every obd 2 car has that capability dont get it confused with the big brother black box
Old 05-10-2007, 10:32 AM
Teching In

This issue needs to be closely monitored. I have read an article ( don't recall where) that the next version of the obd computer will have the capability to monitor the parameters of the car and transmit it to road side antenae. On Star is just a small piece of the pie. Cellular technology has come a long way. Everyone needs to be vigilant of pending federal and state legislation.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Actually, I wouldn't mind the insurance companies have the information.

It's not necessarily a "big brother" thing really.

Think of it realistically, if you speed and cause an accident that's YOUR fault and it's because you were doing 70 in a 45, should you be covered?

This way, the insurance companies and decide better WHO to cover and for how much.

Why have laws if you are not going to enforce them? Then whine about HOW they are TRYING to enforce them?

If the iditiots that cause accidents preimums go up, then the insurnace companies can lower the premiums for those that AREN'T idiots on the road.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Splitz
Actually, I wouldn't mind the insurance companies have the information.

It's not necessarily a "big brother" thing really.

Think of it realistically, if you speed and cause an accident that's YOUR fault and it's because you were doing 70 in a 45, should you be covered?

This way, the insurance companies and decide better WHO to cover and for how much.

Why have laws if you are not going to enforce them? Then whine about HOW they are TRYING to enforce them?

If the iditiots that cause accidents preimums go up, then the insurnace companies can lower the premiums for those that AREN'T idiots on the road.
Think about if they knew you were speeding and blamed the accident automatically on you because you were speeding. It would be a big brother thing, they know what direction and how fast you are traveling at any given time. Try passing someone and having the guy run you off the road. An old guy was doing about 35 in a 45 and when I went to pass him I ended up doing 70or so with my car more than halfway off the road, he swerved at me and sped up to 50 now I would bet any accident there was my fault with this technology.
You make it sound like only "idiots" cause accidents, an accident is accidental dude. I don't want to sound as cocky as you, but on most backroads with a 45mph speed limit, 70 is a safe speed. 70 in a 45 isn't a big deal for me anyway. I think most people drive well and there are no idiots jacking up your car insurance bill and peoplle doing 70 in a 45 should be covered.
I broke my hand once and on the way to the hospital I was going north passed a cop doing 80 (he was heading south) and another at 120 plus (heading north with me) and neither pulled me over. It was so gross looking they would've let me go lol...but my point is they don't always enforce the laws. I've been followed 4 miles from literally my house, where a state cop waited 2 houses down, to a school 2 miles there and 2 back. He waited 5 minutes in the parking lot for me to go home too. I didn't like being watched then by him and I wouldn't like being watched constantly through technology.

I guess we do need to keep an eye on legislative business more closely. You don't really hear that in the news.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its a very good thing to have on your car. If you hit someone and kill them, and nobody can agree on how fast you were going, that little black box can keep you out of jail. If your not doing anything wrong why would it bother you?
Old 05-10-2007, 10:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mr.Powers
I am indeed mad now... I want it gone... But the problem is I haven't a clue where it would be. There isn't really a description given of it damit.
please refer to post 16
Old 05-10-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zo6iscool
Think about if they knew you were speeding and blamed the accident automatically on you because you were speeding. It would be a big brother thing, they know what direction and how fast you are traveling at any given time. Try passing someone and having the guy run you off the road. An old guy was doing about 35 in a 45 and when I went to pass him I ended up doing 70or so with my car more than halfway off the road, he swerved at me and sped up to 50 now I would bet any accident there was my fault with this technology.
You make it sound like only "idiots" cause accidents, an accident is accidental dude. I don't want to sound as cocky as you, but on most backroads with a 45mph speed limit, 70 is a safe speed. 70 in a 45 isn't a big deal for me anyway. I think most people drive well and there are no idiots jacking up your car insurance bill and peoplle doing 70 in a 45 should be covered.
I broke my hand once and on the way to the hospital I was going north passed a cop doing 80 (he was heading south) and another at 120 plus (heading north with me) and neither pulled me over. It was so gross looking they would've let me go lol...but my point is they don't always enforce the laws. I've been followed 4 miles from literally my house, where a state cop waited 2 houses down, to a school 2 miles there and 2 back. He waited 5 minutes in the parking lot for me to go home too. I didn't like being watched then by him and I wouldn't like being watched constantly through technology.

I guess we do need to keep an eye on legislative business more closely. You don't really hear that in the news.
Now, my post wasn't about speeding TICKETS, getting caught via that way.

I only referred to accidents that are caused by speeding.

Speed limits are made for a reason, the NTTA sets speed limits based on population size, exits/entraces to the road among other factors. Speed limits are not made to **** people off, they are made mostly as a SAFETY factor (obviousl yyou think it's ok to drive 70 in a 45, why do you not follow that law).

Anyway, to determins liability in an accident, I agree with that use only, NOT to be used by cops to catch speeders. Only in acccident situation where liability is in question.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camaroextra
its a very good thing to have on your car. If you hit someone and kill them, and nobody can agree on how fast you were going, that little black box can keep you out of jail. If your not doing anything wrong why would it bother you?
Agreed!

install the thing, doesn't bother me one bit.

I've driven company vehicles that have the "Drive Right" system installed that record different parameters:
1. Top Speed
2. Deceleration Rate
3. Acceleration Rate
4. Braking pressure
5. Throttle Pressure

Feel for those guys that don't follow THAT!
Old 05-10-2007, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by zo6iscool
but on most backroads with a 45mph speed limit, 70 is a safe speed.
...thats got to be the most retarded statment ive read .....dude it doesnt matter...they set speed limits for a reason..now im not gonna be a hypocrit and say i havent done **** like this...b/c id be lyin straight through my teeth but it doesnt make it right b/c u drive an Fbody but less face it..there are some people drivin that shouldnt b behind the wheel of a car....LS1 DRIVERS INCLUDED!!!
Old 05-10-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Either way the car companies can do what they want, Its not an infringement on any of your rights, because your CHOSE to drive a car.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by camaroextra
Either way the car companies can do what they want, Its not an infringement on any of your rights, because your CHOSE to drive a car.
i agree
Old 05-10-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

i work at a gm dealer and couldnt tell you where its at i dont know i was under the impression you had to have onstar to have something like that.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

98 F-Bodys do NOT have the "black box".
99-02 F-Bodys do have the "black box".

I don't think its a big deal. Don't purposely hit anyone going 100mph and you should be okay

It can also save the wrongly accussed.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

I live on back roads and the speed limit is 35 mph, way way to slow. I have been in cars doing 80 mph and they haven't even left there lane.(I have lived here for 20 years now and have yet to see an wreck on my roads.) Now I have never done that in my car but I can tell you I never go under 50 and neither does anyone else. My 80 year old grandma who drives 5 to 10 mph under the speed limit every does 50 on this road. I am just trying to say I see his point where so roads are just set way to low when it comes to the speed limit.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

The people who dont mind this type of stuff are the same ones who love rules....they need rules to function correctly. I dont need that type of structure in my life, I seem to do fine on my own. I always go in the "out" door at Home Depot....because I can.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:27 PM
TECH Regular

Just one step closer to where you don't even get to drive the car. You just tell it where you want to go and it goes there while you read the paper or surf the net. Might as well just take the f'n bus.

Or, it constantly monitors your driving and everytime you do something wrong the dash spits out a ticket.

Fun fun fun.

Now all the communists can chime in.

Quick Reply: do our cars have these?