General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

do our cars have these?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

think about this!!!! if the cops get the (black box ) they will only use it to screw you NOT save your *** they need to blame, blame anyone it makes them look good,they won;t listend they only point fingers,
Old 05-10-2007, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My stepmom recently wrecked her 2006 Impala. she hit the *** of a H2 on I-4 here in Orlando. Totally fucked the car up. She went on to try and sue GM for the airbags not deploying while my Dad and I were against it from the get go cause you could see that the damage to the car was above the bag sensors. So a GM tech came and retrieved the computer and told her exactly how fast she was going at impact, when she hit the brakes and when the car came to a stop. Needless to say the airbag sensor was never triggered. It was all in the "black box". $9700 later they got the car back.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by billyb
think about this!!!! if the cops get the (black box ) they will only use it to screw you NOT save your *** they need to blame, blame anyone it makes them look good,they won;t listend they only point fingers,
Blame? I don't think it's blame. More like physical evidence. Someone blows a red light and t-bones your car at well over the speed limit. They say "I was driving the posted limit" You check the box and it shows that they are lying. I think, in this incident, the info would help
Old 05-10-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Veteran

yea i heard about this about 3 months ago and still couldnt figure it out.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by signal12
Blame? I don't think it's blame. More like physical evidence. Someone blows a red light and t-bones your car at well over the speed limit. They say "I was driving the posted limit" You check the box and it shows that they are lying. I think, in this incident, the info would help
What about if you are speeding, say 10 over, and somebody else blows a red light. They can see you were speeding but can't prove the other guy ran the red because it's a speeder's word against a non speeder's word.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Some of the statements made in this thread go way beyond retarded, and I literally mean that a mentally retarded person could probably debate those people who made the posts and win.

Bottom line: don't get in a car and break the ******* law if you don't want to be held responsible for the consequences. EVERY ONE of you knows the basic traffic laws in your area and agreed to abide by those laws by obtaining your driver's license, WHETHER YOU THOUGHT THOSE LAWS WERE LEGITIMATE OR NOT.

And by the way, if it was up to me, about 25% of the people who have posted in this thread would have their licenses revoked simply because I don't want to risk my life by getting into a car knowing that they are on the road.
And the communist shows it's colors.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spink
And the communist shows it's colors.
oh, now that's COLD!
Old 05-10-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Resident

oh lord it's hard to humble,when your perfect in everyway.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Some of the statements made in this thread go way beyond retarded, and I literally mean that a mentally retarded person could probably debate those people who made the posts and win.

Bottom line: don't get in a car and break the ******* law if you don't want to be held responsible for the consequences. EVERY ONE of you knows the basic traffic laws in your area and agreed to abide by those laws by obtaining your driver's license, WHETHER YOU THOUGHT THOSE LAWS WERE LEGITIMATE OR NOT.

And by the way, if it was up to me, about 25% of the people who have posted in this thread would have their licenses revoked simply because I don't want to risk my life by getting into a car knowing that they are on the road.
then in that case they should just start to issue tickets to everyone who has modified their car because you dont mod your car with the intention to never use the power you gained.......and btw it is a violation of your civil rights just becuase you signed the contract saying you would make payments or bought the car outright doesnt mean you also agreed to have some jackass looking over your shoulder. things like that require a release and i never recall signing one when i bought it.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

If you Google " Event Data Recorder" you will find a lot of information on this subject and maybe some things you didn't want to know. They have been used in litigation both civil and criminal.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:15 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JKDZ28
98 F-Bodys do NOT have the "black box".
99-02 F-Bodys do have the "black box".
Haha bitches!
Old 05-10-2007, 08:17 PM
Launching!

Since 1996 all F-body's carry the EDR.

This was heavily pushed by the insurance companies as a tool to study accident causes and statistics to improve safety....yeah right!

Notice no mention of a EDR appears in the manuals of cars carrying this and no sales person has ever mentioned it?
Old 05-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Teching In

I think this box has good and bad features. I do not think that it should be installed and operational without the consent of the owner. If they let people know that the box is installed and what it does in the owners manual, and provided an on/off switch for the box (like passenger air bags), then I think it would be OK.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well its not in the engine bay and im sure it isnt in the pcm. it would be hidden inside the car like maybe under the dash up agaisnt the firewall or under the glove box somewhere
Old 05-10-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sundaydriver

Since 1996 all F-body's carry the EDR.

This was heavily pushed by the insurance companies as a tool to study accident causes and statistics to improve safety....yeah right!

Notice no mention of a EDR appears in the manuals of cars carrying this and no sales person has ever mentioned it?
According to the F-Body F.A.Q the 1998 cars DO NOT have the "black box". Check it out in all the years. Including post #21 in the 1998 section.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....80&postcount=2
Old 05-11-2007, 05:28 AM
12 Second Club

yes..im a '97..no black box for me
Old 05-11-2007, 06:59 AM
Staging Lane

No one in law enforcement has the time or energy(or legal grounds) to pull your info from the data recorder for just a speeding ticket. If your car is involved in a traffic homicide or what looks like a THI, then someone will probably try to obtain this info. Speeding tickets are just civil issues. The info on the box/recorder would only be used in some type of serious criminal case.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:06 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Spink
What about if you are speeding, say 10 over, and somebody else blows a red light. They can see you were speeding but can't prove the other guy ran the red because it's a speeder's word against a non speeder's word.
Well, to prove someone was speeding, 10 over, during an accident investigation would be really difficult. Running red lights can be hard to prove too.
Like I said, unless someone dies during this event, no one is going to be legally able to get this info from the recorder.
So have fun, go fast don't wreck or kill someone and you should not have any data recorder issues.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

like previously stated, fellas this isnt new news...yea 98 and before dont have em...but how many times have u read about somebody gettin fucked b/c of their "little black box"...u guys are ****** paranoid
Old 05-11-2007, 11:42 AM
Launching!

its under the console, if you remove it the airbag wont go off. Scramble your noggin or go to jail.

Quick Reply: do our cars have these?