General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

do our cars have these?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 10:39 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oohtwo WS6
The people who dont mind this type of stuff are the same ones who love rules....they need rules to function correctly. I dont need that type of structure in my life, I seem to do fine on my own. I always go in the "out" door at Home Depot....because I can.
Yep pretty much.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

these black boxes (generic pictured below) are always a hot issue.. here's a little more information

AIR BAG SDM / BLACK BOX / EDR / CRASH DATA AVAILABLE (depending on year and model)

Vehicle speed (in five one-second intervals preceding impact)
Engine speed (in five one-second intervals preceding impact)
Brake status (in five one-second intervals preceding impact)
Throttle position (in five one-second intervals preceding impact)
Driver's seat belt state (On/Off)
Passenger's airbag enabled or disabled state (On/Off)
Airbag Warning Lamp status (On/Off)
Time from vehicle impact to airbag deployment
Maximum Delta-V ( DV ) for near-deployment event
Delta-V ( DV ) vs. time for frontal airbag deployment event
Time from vehicle impact to time of maximum Delta-V ( DV )
Time between near-deploy and deploy event (if within 5 seconds)

and from the national highway traffic safety administration's own website (nhtsa.gov), a usa today article in pdf format

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/edr-sit...ack_boxes-.pdf

relevant quote:
"Motorists never learned that ''it would be possible for GM, or anyone else
to whom GM provided the data surreptitiously recorded by the SDM, to
invade the driver's privacy and monitor the particular driver's driving
characteristics and seatbelt use habits at a particular point in time,'' the
lawsuit alleges.
The lawsuit targets the 1999 model year or later for eight cars: the Chevrolet
Corvette and Camaro; the Pontiac Firebird; the Cadillac DeVille, El
Dorado, and Seville; and the Buick Century and Park Avenue."
Old 05-15-2007, 07:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by reocamaro
Right away I can tell the republicans from the people that actually have a clue. I'm surprised this is becoming an issue as of recent. I would think Bush thought this scheme up, he's all for spying on Americans.

It has no relevance to the subject, whether or not it monitors you, but the fact that technology will advance to the extent as mentioned in the above article. All they have to do is serialize their program with your license plate number and anytime it's recorded doing over the speed limit based upon location, they'll end up mailing you a ticket. What a clever way to develop revenue for new programs.
There is no legal way to obtain the info from the box/recorder for just a ticket. Speeding or otherwise. These are all just civil infractions. The right to privacy far outweighs the ability to grab this information from your car's computer.
DUIs and THIs are another story. If it's a THI crash, your info is probably subject to search through a search warrant.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by reocamaro
Right away I can tell the republicans from the people that actually have a clue. I'm surprised this is becoming an issue as of recent. I would think Bush thought this scheme up, he's all for spying on Americans.

It has no relevance to the subject, whether or not it monitors you, but the fact that technology will advance to the extent as mentioned in the above article. All they have to do is serialize their program with your license plate number and anytime it's recorded doing over the speed limit based upon location, they'll end up mailing you a ticket. What a clever way to develop revenue for new programs.
totally.

think about it, you get pulled over for speeding and the cop downloads your driving history and nails you for all the times you broke the speed limit and didnt get caught. i'm sure they could work it that way, by getting caught speeding or whatever it would be probable cause to look at the driving history of the vehicle.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by badhoopty
totally.

think about it, you get pulled over for speeding and the cop downloads your driving history and nails you for all the times you broke the speed limit and didnt get caught. i'm sure they could work it that way, by getting caught speeding or whatever it would be probable cause to look at the driving history of the vehicle.
SPEEDING IS NOT CRIMINAL...usually. I can't give a lesson in constitutional law. However, again, your vehicle information cannot be accessed for just speeding. A crash involving a death, oh yea. It's subject to search. Along with your tire tread, brakes, weight of the vehicle...the list goes on.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:07 AM
Teching In

I looked at http://www.harristechnical.com/downloads/cdrlist.pdf and found my Australian made 2004 Pontiac GTO doesn't have this box--at least it's not listed. Hurray for the Aussies!
Old 05-16-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

yeah I had heard before that 96+ had it. Looks like that is the case.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:42 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MajorCosmos
I looked at http://www.harristechnical.com/downloads/cdrlist.pdf and found my Australian made 2004 Pontiac GTO doesn't have this box--at least it's not listed. Hurray for the Aussies!
The Aussie version of the Event Data Recorder is the amount of wallabee, dingo, and crocodile debris in the grille. Displays excessive speed & late braking.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's some more information, specifically about litigation involving these Event Data Recorders.

Three examples: "California v. Whelan, San Fernando Superior Court, Case No. PA045773 (2006)

The defendant was convicted in a jury trial on three counts of second degree murder and two related counts of driving under the influence with a BAC of 0.26. The EDR in the defendant's car, a 2003 Chevrolet Corvette, recorded a speed of 156 miles per hour at five seconds before impact with a 1988 Honda Accord."

"Nevada v. Corcran, 8th District Court, Case No. 06-C-222574-C (2006)

A Nevada Highway Patrol trooper pled guilty to five counts of felony reckless driving in an on-duty crash that killed four people and injured one in February, 2006. The defendant was driving 113mph in a police cruiser that crashed into a Cadillac on I-15 south of Las Vegas. The police determined the emergency lights and siren were not in use, that the defendant was not in pursuit of another vehicle and was not answering an emergency dispatch at the time of the crash. Crash data was recovered from the police cruiser, a 2005 Crown Victoria, by Ford Motor Co. "

" Virginia v. O'Connell, Chesterfield Circuit Court, Case No. CR04F009991 (2004)

This was a criminal case where EDR evidence was introduced by the prosecution and defense. Charges included Racing, DUI, Hit & Run, Manslaughter and DUI Manslaughter. The defendant was convicted in a bench trial."

More cases:
http://www.harristechnical.com/cdr5.htm
Old 05-17-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok guys im going by what i know from being a gm tech for the past few years. Ive seen insurance guys come into my dealer with some computer and pull the information out of the "blackbox" which im pretty sure is just the SDM or (Sensing and Diagnostic module) its the module that controls the SIR system. now you CAN remove this module ( i have done it on one of the cars i was working on to try and see if it was causing a problem witht eh air bag system.), but your car will always have a check engine light on and your AIR BAGS WILL NOT FUNCTION, neither will the seatbelt pretensioners (though im not sure if the F-bodys have these because i think they were introduced in 2003). i will do some more investigating about this and see if i can find out for sure that it IS the SDM.

Also just to give you guys some peace of mind. i think the only people who can read that Data From the SDM are the INsurance investigators. I know i can look up all the data for DTC and stuff like that with a tech 2 and i can record data when a DTC is et or when anythign happens. But i cannot get that info from the SDM as far as i know. But i will try tomorrow and see if i can just for ***** and giggles.

hope this helps a bit.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:07 AM
Launching!

im gonna rip mine apart and find that crap box!!!!

Quick Reply: do our cars have these?