General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Is it worth going through the hassle of selling an A4 car to get an M6?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
No, get what YOU want, not what others tell you to get.

Your opinion.

And when you get those shitty times at the track because you screwed up your launch, or lose to some respected car on the road because you missed a shift, you can say that YOU lost, and not your transmission.

Lol obviously you are an auto guy, I gave my opinion just as this thread was asking. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, are they not? As for the worse times at the track...I have had both transmissions, and in my personal experience, I do much better with the m6(yes, the auto had a stall). Like said above, I have yet to miss a shift while racing, only lite driving will I seldomly miss one. I would never trade this m6 in for any auto! Unless of course, I was running crazy times at the track, where there is no room for mistakes. I bought this car to have fun in, not to run 9s at the track; Although i'm sure thats fun too.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Veteran

I have a M6 and theres is times I wish I had a A4.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:09 AM
TECH Resident

Well how about this story. Was driving out to my aunt's and saw a couple car guys at the exxon on the corner... so as I slowly make the turn, they are looking over. I punch it, go to shift into 2nd and bam my hand hits the 32 ounces of cold mountain refreshment.. and bam miss the gear

Damn Wendy's Iced Tea. It will spill if I pt it in the flip out holder and the two rear holders can't hold crap either. Sooo I had to have it behind the shifter.. and with the short stick and the pro 5.0 its just too low when I have a large drink there...

Well anyways it was terribly embarassing.. I went to do a nice fats shift and my wrist hits the drink and knocks the lid off hehe.. Not to mention I spilled about 4 oounces of it

Sigh.. how embarassing
Old 05-28-2007, 08:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 207 Likes on 160 Posts

I have an A4 and drove a M6 the other day. I was power shifting it, and started chirping, going sideways and stuff like that, just messing around..it was a car that was about 320 at the wheels.
I was thinking about doing the conversion with mine, but I started thinking about it and I can see me going sideways on some back road playin and taking down a Tree when I get this new Engine in.
The Auto is a little easier on the Car, doesn't put as much strain on it.
Still wouldn't mind having a M6 car as a second car, but I would have to get one that is factory, the conversion can be a pain.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

If you want to be fast at the track, keep your A4. I wish i had one.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:07 AM
TECH Resident

Haha M6 is only harder on the car when you drive it harder You can shift it and make it as docile as a kitten Just thinkof the M6 as having retractable talons vs the auto's claws
Old 05-28-2007, 09:14 AM
11 Second Club

I am still debating it..it would be one hell of a highway killer, and I will get my 500 at the wheels..
Old 05-29-2007, 01:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there ya go merv. That'd be a good combo with your 402 I love my M6 if i have to go at it from a roll good stuff. most LS1's mildly modded if they are auto's have a hard time with my LT1 from a low roll becuase with the 6 speed i shift it down and they have to wait for it to downshift. i love my M6 and wouldn't trade it for the world
Old 05-29-2007, 01:58 AM
Syn
On The Tree

The reason I'm thinking of switching is because the A4 is just not that much fun to drive on the street and I know that an M6 would be more enjoyable for that. I just don't think selling my low-ish mileage car with 1 owner is worth it when I'd be lucky to find an M6 car just like it for the money.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:06 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by aaron653
and mis-shifts when you don't want it to
Sad but honest truth... Going from 3rd to 2nd @ 105mph sucks.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:56 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ColeTrains'96Z28
there ya go merv. That'd be a good combo with your 402 I love my M6 if i have to go at it from a roll good stuff. most LS1's mildly modded if they are auto's have a hard time with my LT1 from a low roll becuase with the 6 speed i shift it down and they have to wait for it to downshift. i love my M6 and wouldn't trade it for the world
The factory LS1 Cars have a thing programmed in them called Torque Management. That is what makes it upshift/downshift slower, and softer. A built Tranny with that crap programmed out shifts like a M6 when you punch it, and it shifts immediately as soon as you hit the gas if you were on a roll. I am getting all that crap tuned out of mine when I get it fully built, so there will be no delay, just put the power straight to the road.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:39 AM
TECH Junkie

alot of guys i've talked to have/had a manual transmission, after there car gets so fast and they get the shifting gears out of there system, they end up swapping to auto in favor of going a little faster ... with that being said a manual is way more fun imo and thats what I would want.I say do the conversion.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:52 PM
Syn
On The Tree

I'd sooner sell my car to buy another than bother with a conversion. With any luck I'd be able to get an M6 car for about what I sold my car for, so I wouldn't take a hit on the labor cost of a conversion.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:40 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by Syn
I'd sooner sell my car to buy another than bother with a conversion. With any luck I'd be able to get an M6 car for about what I sold my car for, so I wouldn't take a hit on the labor cost of a conversion.
The conversion isn't that bad price wise if you can find someone to swap parts with (find an M6 guy that wants an auto).

I've personally seen a local car that was converted from M6 to A4 (done by site sponsor www.flp2win.com ) and the work was perfect. Looks and performs like it came with the auto in the first place. Top notch conversion IMO.