General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: StoleIt's MPG
5-8 MPG
5.38%
8-11 MPG
2.15%
11-14 MPG
9.68%
14-17 MPG
21.51%
17-21 MPG
37.63%
21-24 MPG
23.66%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

guess my mpg

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm hopeing atleast 17-21 because that means my setup would get atleast, oh, say 5mpg lol.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:15 AM
Launching!

21-24
Old 06-07-2007, 07:54 PM
NKAWTG...N

The answer: 15 mpg. This was all suburb driving, no highway. And a whole bunch of 1-2-3 blasts.

I am really curious to see what I can get highway. I'd bet 21 atleast.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:46 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Damn, I only get 13mpg driving around town with my stock motor.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damm, 15!
Old 06-10-2007, 02:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by StoleIt
The answer: 15 mpg. This was all suburb driving, no highway. And a whole bunch of 1-2-3 blasts.

I am really curious to see what I can get highway. I'd bet 21 atleast.
I get 26.8 highway and it has to be less than 15 in town, so you could get more than that.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:30 PM
TECH Regular

I'm gonna guess 15......
Old 06-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

my turbo car gets 22 highway mpg with 65lb injectors... and 20 mpg with some city and some highway... 20mpg all highway with some 140mph fun chasing sportbikes... i seemed to be getting about 15-18mpg all city lower end when im hauling *** around.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:29 PM
12 Second Club

haha yes i win!! what do i get?
Old 06-13-2007, 12:16 AM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by razorclaw99
haha yes i win!! what do i get?
I can change your signature for ya

Edit: signature changed
Old 06-13-2007, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
HELP..WITH FUEL ECONOMY.........
does an air filter help? yes. Does a ram air intake help? yes. Does exhaust help? yes. All are modifications that help the engine breathe better, therefore helping fuel economy. A turbo would help it breathe MUCH better, but he has upgraded fuel system as well flowing more fuel than normal which doesn't help with fuel economy. Friend of mine put a blower on his LS1 and went from 27mpg to 30mpg after tuning on 4lbs.

read again

Originally Posted by 2K1WS6TA
Turbo should only help with fuel economy, unless you happen to have that heavy right foot syndrome.
and I could also add "unless you are running a good bit of boost, and have modified the fuel system to accomidate"
Old 06-13-2007, 12:15 PM
Fiery Features Director

Help with fuel economy compared to what? If you put a turbo on a 4cyl to make the same amount of power as the 6cyl, then yes, I could see where you would have greater fuel economy because of the smaller motor. It could be more efficient. A turbo isn't the same as an air filter, which is used to trap dirt. Of course if the filter gets clogged it restricts the air entering which can cause decreased fuel economy and performance. A turbo is used to allow more air (and fuel) into the cylinder. Basically, a turbo takes the air and compresses it in order to fit more in. With more air comes more fuel thus making more power from a bigger explosion.

Last edited by Zangel; 06-13-2007 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Zangel
Help with fuel economy compared to what? If you put a turbo on a 4cyl to make the same amount of power as the 6cyl, then yes, I could see where you would have greater fuel economy because of the smaller motor. It could be more efficient. A turbo isn't the same as an air filter, which is used to trap dirt. Of course if the filter gets clogged it restricts the air entering which can cause decreased fuel economy and performance. A turbo is used to allow more air (and fuel) into the cylinder. Basically, a turbo takes the air and compresses it in order to fit more in. With more air comes more fuel thus making more power from a bigger explosion.
Zang, Zang, Zang. You've got it ALL wrong.

I'll try to explain it slow so that you can understand. You see, air goes into the turbo, magic happens, and the car goes faster. See my sig pic for a system that utilizes the "Magic x 2" theroy. You can PM me if you need me to explain it again.

You're welcome.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:25 PM
Fiery Features Director

Originally Posted by Sharpe
Zang, Zang, Zang. You've got it ALL wrong.

I'll try to explain it slow so that you can understand. You see, air goes into the turbo, magic happens, and the car goes faster. See my sig pic for a system that utilizes the "Magic x 2" theroy. You can PM me if you need me to explain it again.

You're welcome.
Damn... I knew I should have went with the rabbit in the hat and the magic wand! Could have saved me a lot of money
Old 06-13-2007, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am trying to get at the fact that some f-body guys have added FI to their cars (excluding nitrous) and have achieved equal or better fuel economy (of course depending on how you drive your car). Not saying it will be an astronomical improvement, if there is one at all.

Am I the only one who has ever seen this happen? Or was it all a figment of my imagination?
Old 06-13-2007, 08:37 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by 2K1WS6TA
I am trying to get at the fact that some f-body guys have added FI to their cars (excluding nitrous) and have achieved equal or better fuel economy (of course depending on how you drive your car). Not saying it will be an astronomical improvement, if there is one at all.

Am I the only one who has ever seen this happen? Or was it all a figment of my imagination?
I doubt it...because very rarely will you just slap on a turbo or supercharger and not do something to your fuel system and tune. Once you change those there goes fuel economy.

When I get back to my car in august I'll try driving her around on the highway and see what the MPG is then. I doubt it will be 25+ but who knows.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:38 PM
Fiery Features Director

So many things can make a small difference in your gas mileage. Some people remove a lot of weight when modifying their vehicle, change the spark plugs/wires or clean the air filter. The person could increase the air pressure in the tires or change their driving style. Maybe the difference is they are riding around with their windows rolled down rather than using the A/C. It is possible that the cars tune could have been all jacked up. When switching to FI, fuel injectors are often replaced. If the previous fuel injectors were fouled, then that could make a large improvement. You have to realize that all forced induction does is push more air (which in turn needs more fuel). Each type of forced induction does it differently, but in the end they all have the same goal.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zangel
So many things can make a small difference in your gas mileage. Some people remove a lot of weight when modifying their vehicle, change the spark plugs/wires or clean the air filter. The person could increase the air pressure in the tires or change their driving style. Maybe the difference is they are riding around with their windows rolled down rather than using the A/C. It is possible that the cars tune could have been all jacked up. When switching to FI, fuel injectors are often replaced. If the previous fuel injectors were fouled, then that could make a large improvement. You have to realize that all forced induction does is push more air (which in turn needs more fuel). Each type of forced induction does it differently, but in the end they all have the same goal.
mythbusters already put that one to rest, better mileage with windows up and AC on.

I understand your logic. I did say that my friend with the SC SS was only running 4lbs of boost, but like you said, the old injectors could have been shot. Or the O2 sensors might have been fouled out as well. All this was replaced just prior to dynotuning his car and that could be why he seemed to net higher gas mileage after FI.