General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What's the real deal with t top cars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 03:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only real danger.. if you look at the appearance and detaikl section there is a link to some of the crashes.. is with t tops if you flip they have a greater chance of breaking off and entering the inside of the car. Hence the risk of decap or head ijury etc.

Whats the likelihood of such an event? I dont know Ive only heard of it that one time. My thinking is if the car is flipping the only real difference is having a vert over any form of hard top type.. But if yer flipping Im kinda thinking yer fugged regardless.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be more concerned about a vert than a T-Top in reguard to this topic!
Old 06-11-2007, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 69Nova355
I heat T top cars are unsafe because in a roll over you increase your chances of getting injured/killed....possibly decapitated...

Just how unsafe are t top cars?
Unsafe enough that it didn't prevent me from buying one. You buy an f-body for the drive, not for safety or crash ratings!
Old 06-11-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i've never even come close to flipping my car, so i'm not worried about it. t-tops are chick magnets in the summer
Old 06-11-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

Well I know its a helluva safe car for side impact crashes. I walked out of my LT1 car with a scratched thumb.. after swerving to avoid a guy who came into my lane after merging.. then getting into a spin across all three lanes... jumping the curb at 50ish and then taking out the first tree.. only ti have the second tree destroy my driver fornt tire and get wedged between the black lits of my z28.. then spun around with the tree wedged into my front.. and slammed the drivers door into a telephone.. which then dislodged me from the tree and I landed about 100 feet facing the wrong direction

I was sitting with my right leg on top of the shifter.. with nearly the entire door shoved into the car with about a foot and a half front dash pillar and windshield crushed in about a foot and a half. Yet the side impact beam held and prevent me from dying

Damn safe car imo. I wouldnt go the speeds or drive the way we do in any other car.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
Unsafe enough that it didn't prevent me from buying one. You buy an f-body for the drive, not for safety or crash ratings!
Old 06-11-2007, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dad says his biggest fear is getting a call to confirm it was me in an accident and going and seeing my head between the pavement and the T-bar. I told him if I ever decide to take the car down a cliff he can worry about that, until than, I don't see the car rolling over to make it happen.

Everything I have heard, the cars are safer than they are set out to be. One night cruising a guy yelled over nice car to me. He than went on to tell me how it saved his life from a 90mph accident, and walked away.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:31 PM
12 Second Club

Do you plan on flipping your car or something ? lol. That's like being afraid to go outside because a plane might crash into you and you will die.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 69Nova355
I heat T top cars are unsafe because in a roll over you increase your chances of getting injured/killed....possibly decapitated...

Just how unsafe are t top cars?
Cars with T-Tops are as unsafe as cars without them. If you drive at all you are taking a risk of getting into an accident. That being said, there is a statistically better chance of injury with T-Tops versus without... but is it by a reasonable amount? Enough to make you run away and buy a hardtop? Keep in mind F-bods also tend to be leg breakers in a frontal collision. Is there anough risk to avoid f-bods alltogether? Maybe buy a minivan instead if so.

My personal take is that the Camaro is safer than any minivan or SUV made hands down. The best vehicle in an accident is the one that avoids it completely. I have avoided enough accidents with my car which would've been much uglier if I were driving my Silverado... I have no doubt the Camaro is safer overall simply because of the greater manuverability allowing me to avoid or at least lessen the damage in an accident.

That being said, if I were buying a hobby car for the strip or track, I would prefer a hardtop car simply because I would expect to crash it at some point. For something to drive on the street, I would insist on T-tops.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ttops dont bother me. What does is driving with the window like 3/4 of the way down. I always have this vision of me wrecking and slamming my head down on the glass taking the top of my skull off. Odd...
Old 06-12-2007, 04:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ErikElvis
Ttops dont bother me. What does is driving with the window like 3/4 of the way down. I always have this vision of me wrecking and slamming my head down on the glass taking the top of my skull off. Odd...
oh man that is sick, never thought of that before. I think hardtop or t-top it isn't going to matter it'll take a lot to flip these things, 2 weeks after buying my previous camaro I spun out at 105mph on a long 45mph corner, spun around 4 3/4 times rearend in and out of the ditch twice and this thing was still stuck to the ground(I didin't know the area and the road was really cool after some rain early in the day). A few years later I was t-boned by a guy that ran a red light doing 50+ mph and didn't have a scratch on me, he was driving a 1998 volvo and the whole front of his car was smashed, the engine was pushed back 6inches into the passenger compartment. Always wear your seatbelt, you ever know what's gonna happen
Old 06-12-2007, 04:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
The roof structures on the fourth-gen cars are identical between the fixed roof and t-top cars. The only difference is the fixed roof cars have additional metal along the edges of the roofline.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....81&postcount=4
that doesnt make sence. you cant say something is identical and then point out an obvious difference.

also, what you said in the link to the picture...do you really know for sure there is no extra support added by the rails above the window glass?

i rode in a t-top and thought the panel above my head missing was wierd...just me though.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Teching In

oddly i remember hearing about that happening to some kid from the school my dad taught school at long ago, idk that it took the top of his skull off but it killed him i believe... i always keep my windows all the way up or all the way down,

in my opinion it would take a hell of a lot to tip these cars over with the low center of gravity in the unlucky event that it did happen id say its just luck weither or not ur going to die
Old 06-12-2007, 05:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1>girlfriend
that doesnt make sence. you cant say something is identical and then point out an obvious difference.

also, what you said in the link to the picture...do you really know for sure there is no extra support added by the rails above the window glass?

i rode in a t-top and thought the panel above my head missing was wierd...just me though.
i heard the roof on hardtop cars is glued on just like the windshields, makes sense i guess...
Old 06-12-2007, 05:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by spy2520
i heard the roof on hardtop cars is glued on just like the windshields, makes sense i guess...
yea they are...well i think they are ive chaged about 3 head-liners and they look like they are just glued....
Old 06-12-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Default gm deadly duo.

www.safetyforum.com/fcars/ do they still make any cars with t-tops
Old 06-12-2007, 07:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by billyb
t-tops are more dangerous...discussion over.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

Holly ****!!!... I thought about that happening before a few days ago for some reason.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Get yourself a big wheel and be careful of cars back down the driveways. They might decapitate you too.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by billyb
The reason these cars are so dangerous are the inexperienced idiots behind the wheel. The fbody itself is pretty safely designed car IMO. Most cars did not have dual air bags and ABS standard back in 1993. I also liked how that article cited a high risk of ejection if you aren't wearing your seatbelt and cited that as a safety flaw.

Quick Reply: What's the real deal with t top cars?