General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Oil consuption/PCV question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 05:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil consuption/PCV question

Hey everyone:

I've tried searching for some answers however not really found one. My question(s) is:

Are the vents on the valve covers (for the PCV system) to allow for pressure to escape into the intake manifold and get burned by combustion, OR, is do the valve covers pull vacuum from the intake manifold? From what I've been reading I almost understand that the second senario is correct? If that is true, how does the oil get into the intake?

So my second question is: Am I going to damage something if I have capped off the intake manfold port from the PCV, and run a hose off the PCV to a fitting I installed in the oil filler cap? I have left the rest of the system alone except for what I mentioned above. Is there a need to run a breather from the valve cover with this configuration? Again, I've only capped the intake port, and ran an hose from the PCV to a fitting on the oil filler cap to dump back into the crankcase; I have not done anything else to the PCV system, so will this cause a problem or do I still need a breather in the valve cover?

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-12-2007, 09:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'd be better off I believe venting the system. How is the pressure gonna be relieved if your putting it right back in the valve cover? Vent it or get a catch can.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

Ok. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I completly deleted mine, capped it all off and run two breathers. It stoped my consumption but it also shortens the life of the oil. Im ok with that though, Id rather change more often and not worry about wether its full or not. JMHO.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I run synthetic and religiously change at 3K miles regardless, so breathers don't sound bad in that respect.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just so you know the intake creates the vacume and its sucking up the oil vapors the the pvc is pulling out of the engine and sucking it in with the rest of the incoming air.