General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: I want looks. What has more P magnet status? lol
Keep the Trans am
86.59%
Get the GTO
13.41%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

WS6 or GTO

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 02:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Girls point of veiw:

T/A is way sexier. Keep it.
Thats a chick magnet right there, its got more curves and finer lines, just looks all around better.
If I had to chose between a guy in a T/A or GTO, it'd be a T/A.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:49 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

IMHO the T/A's look waaaay better. The GTO's look like a Cavalier with a Grand Am front clip.

Plus they are heavy cars, well a little more.

What I really do like about the GTO's is that they are built really nice.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

WS6 looks mean
GTO's looks like a bloated cavalier
GTO's R to heavy
Old 06-20-2007, 07:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

The GTO gets more looks than the WS6 is very, very hard to believe. Take a very good looking GTO, then a very good looking WS6 and park them side by side. Study people's reactions to the two cars from a distance. I bet most of them will drool over the WS6 passing by the GTO almost without looking it.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:10 AM
TECH Regular

just sold my MS4 cammed m6 black WS6 for a silver 05 GTO with a large cam from azps it has one of there power packages(head cam(high 240's is all they will say) intake exhaust). I miss how mean the WS6 looked the GTO is definately heavier but dam is so much nicer, plus it's sporting E cutouts so it can draw plenty of attention to. I still miss the look of the WS6 front end but when I have to make a long trip I'm so much happier I'm in the GTO. So for me it wasn't that hard of a decision. It might have been if I was going from my car to a stock goat. drive one around a little, if you do I don't think you will miss the f-body any.

oh and yes you can feel the extra weight of the Goat, and I'm not to big of a fan of the IRS when trying to launch or slide some corners(wants to one legger sometimes) but the previous owner gave me a slip where it went 11.7 in the low 120mph range. i like the fact it can do this and be reliable and comforatble to ride in has a real back seat and the car reatains it's ride quality when you have people in the back seat.

Last edited by lt1formula2000; 06-21-2007 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:56 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

better check out your numbers.
16k or 17k trade on a car that is 29k leaves a balance of 12k or 13k.
if you pay $475 on a 12k or 13k loan you are getting bent over big time. it should be half that much, unless you are going to only pay for 24 months or some other short term. what are you thinking???
Old 06-21-2007, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Keep the T/A!!! GTO's are more Caddy like and look too bland imo.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:10 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Originally Posted by chaman
The GTO gets more looks than the WS6 is very, very hard to believe. Take a very good looking GTO, then a very good looking WS6 and park them side by side. Study people's reactions to the two cars from a distance. I bet most of them will drool over the WS6 passing by the GTO almost without looking it.
Why is it hard to believe? GTOs appeal to a different demographic than F-Bodies. F-Bodies are appreciated by F-Body enthusiasts and a select few other enthusiasts and not many other people. You'll get people who look at them and like them but my Trans Am had the exhaust note, the lope, and the look... and my GTO gets more attention than my TA ever did. Trust me, I didn't expect it, but I get it from the domestic crowd but I also get it from the import crowd, the BMW/Mercedes crowd, the old gearhead crowd (the F-Body gets this too but the GTO nameplate carries a very strong heritage with it whether people agree the new car is a real GTO or not and that alone gets some of the old gearhead guys stopping me and asking questions). You can argue it all you want but the GTO gets alot more respect from circles outside the ones the F-Body gets respect from. I never had BMW and Jaguar guys stopping by to tell me nice car when I had the Trans Am. They just looked at it like it was a loud, poorly built, domestic piece of crap (and it was, but it was my loud, poorly built, domestic piece of crap ).

To me the F-Body design is nice but it definitely falls within its build dates. The long front and rear overhangs (probably the biggest thing I dont like about them and nothing we can do about it), the build quality, the features and ergonomics, the list could go on and on...

I'll be the first to tell you if you're looking for a car to make as fast as possibly with the money you have the F-Body is a far, far, far better choice. I look at my GTO like a more mature version of the WS6. Its a little heavier but the extra power of the LS2 makes up for it in stock form for the most part (results may vary but my LS2 GTO was 6 tenths and 3mph quicker in the 1/4 than my Trans Am was stock for stock). The GTO rides so nice, handles every bit as well as the Trans Am did despite the extra weight (BTW: My GTO without any weight removed only weighs 3,600 lbs, plenty of convertible F-Bodies out there that tip the scales at that), and they'll stay solid for alot longer because of the better build quality.

Each car has their place and their purpose, but based off of all the pros and cons of each car the GTO is the "better" car (better build, more powerful engine, not that much more weight, better suspension for the most part unless you're racing it, much more rare, and while its not saying much and its barely doing it they're holding value a little better than F-Bodies too), it just may not be better for you. Thats what you have to decide.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:24 PM
Launching!

say no to goat, with independent rear, heavy as hell, small rear tire choice....keep the T/A...
Old 06-22-2007, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by red beast
say no to goat, with independent rear, heavy as hell, small rear tire choice....keep the T/A...
IRS is nice in a car you drive on the streets alot, they're no heavier than some F-Bodies (and I'd bet there are quite a few 'verts that are actually heavier than my GTO is), and you can fit 275-285s on there (which thats as big as most F-Body guys run). Its no worse than a convertible F-Body with 275s on the rear except its got more power to begin with and a better suspension under it for street driving.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

The WS6 looks like it's going fast standing still , the GTO ahhh, not so much
Old 06-23-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by josh99ta
IRS is nice in a car you drive on the streets alot, they're no heavier than some F-Bodies (and I'd bet there are quite a few 'verts that are actually heavier than my GTO is), and you can fit 275-285s on there (which thats as big as most F-Body guys run). Its no worse than a convertible F-Body with 275s on the rear except its got more power to begin with and a better suspension under it for street driving.
Do you have some contract with Pontiac to address every negative comment made about GTO's on this site?
Old 06-23-2007, 07:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Why is it hard to believe? GTOs appeal to a different demographic than F-Bodies. F-Bodies are appreciated by F-Body enthusiasts and a select few other enthusiasts and not many other people. You'll get people who look at them and like them but my Trans Am had the exhaust note, the lope, and the look... and my GTO gets more attention than my TA ever did. Trust me, I didn't expect it, but I get it from the domestic crowd but I also get it from the import crowd, the BMW/Mercedes crowd, the old gearhead crowd (the F-Body gets this too but the GTO nameplate carries a very strong heritage with it whether people agree the new car is a real GTO or not and that alone gets some of the old gearhead guys stopping me and asking questions). You can argue it all you want but the GTO gets alot more respect from circles outside the ones the F-Body gets respect from. I never had BMW and Jaguar guys stopping by to tell me nice car when I had the Trans Am. They just looked at it like it was a loud, poorly built, domestic piece of crap (and it was, but it was my loud, poorly built, domestic piece of crap ).

To me the F-Body design is nice but it definitely falls within its build dates. The long front and rear overhangs (probably the biggest thing I dont like about them and nothing we can do about it), the build quality, the features and ergonomics, the list could go on and on...

I'll be the first to tell you if you're looking for a car to make as fast as possibly with the money you have the F-Body is a far, far, far better choice. I look at my GTO like a more mature version of the WS6. Its a little heavier but the extra power of the LS2 makes up for it in stock form for the most part (results may vary but my LS2 GTO was 6 tenths and 3mph quicker in the 1/4 than my Trans Am was stock for stock). The GTO rides so nice, handles every bit as well as the Trans Am did despite the extra weight (BTW: My GTO without any weight removed only weighs 3,600 lbs, plenty of convertible F-Bodies out there that tip the scales at that), and they'll stay solid for alot longer because of the better build quality.

Each car has their place and their purpose, but based off of all the pros and cons of each car the GTO is the "better" car (better build, more powerful engine, not that much more weight, better suspension for the most part unless you're racing it, much more rare, and while its not saying much and its barely doing it they're holding value a little better than F-Bodies too), it just may not be better for you. Thats what you have to decide.
Well no doubt the GTO has heritage and some say it started the muscle car era (which is another debate) but the Firebird has way, way more heritage than the GTO. The Firebird is possibly the GM car with the most media exposure (after the Vette) through all its history (movies, television series...even in the recent Bullrun TV show).

Sales of the current GTO proves also that the public also never quite felt attracted to it. Ive been in car shows with newer GTOs and the4th gen TA/Firebirds always draw the bigger crowds. My guess this has also been the experience of a lot of guys here.

No doubt is better built but remember ypu are talking about basically a brand new car. Time will tell how well it will hold as it ages.

Guess experiences vary but I have gotten tons of respect from the import and European car enthusiasts at car shows, the street etc. Just recently some guy with a real nice 2 door BMW (sorry about details but all I know it was one of the top of the line newer cars) gave me thumbs up after I passed him in the highway.. Quite funny because I passed him, just casually cruising, when he floored it just to get by my side and gave the thumbs up. The look of a WS6 in the rear view mirror makes little children cry!!! LOL!!! Calling the GTO a mature version of a WS6 dont make much sense at all.. Is more of a mature version of a Gran Prix.....in all the GTO is great car but the look of a WS6 is very hard to beat...
Old 06-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 207 Likes on 174 Posts

My brother had a Brazen Orange GTO bought and there ended up being some non-disclosure issues with the dealer, so he returned it after driving it home. I convinced him to save the extra money and get a WS6. He couldn't be happier with his decision. T-tops are a big part of it. There's a whole fun factor on a nice day that you simply can't get with the goat.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mistacamawo
Do you have some contract with Pontiac to address every negative comment made about GTO's on this site?
No. I own a GTO and I've owned two F-Bodies (one of which I still have). I'm not F-Body bashing, but I'm not blind to their downfalls either. I'm an objective person which is something alot of people on here cant say. Each car serves their own purpose. I'm just trying to give the OP a different point of view over the "WS6 > all" lemming mentality that is so prevalent here because while it is a good car and it does have its strengths its far, far, far from the best thing on four wheels at its price point or any price point for that matter.

I'll give you styling and T-Tops, and I'll give you cheaper mods and a live axle thats far better for drag racing and making big power. But in every other single category the GTO is a better car. I'd seriously encourage the OP to go out and test drive a few GTOs, both automatic and manual, and compare them to his WS6 (how they're built, how they ride, the difference between power delivery of the LS1 and LS2 engines) and let him make the decision based on HIS experience and what HE wants, not because a bunch of guys think the WS6 looks cooler.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Veteran

I have driven the new GTO. Great car no doubt and I think all can agree. Even after driving it still like the TA more. As you say the GTO is better built but please, you talk like the 4th gen f-body was a POS. Thats is what gets some people going against you.... My TA is a 1999 model and rides very solid without any squeaks and rattles. The T-tops are in very good shape without ant leaks. Its all in the way you maintain them. F-bodies are usually abused in their lifetime. I bet your basically new car in the hands of a careless, abusive owner will have the very same squeeks, rattles that a lot of f-bodies have.

About the best thing in four wheels for the price argument is also debatable. The SRT8 lineup although is a four door vehicle has a more powerful motor, better standard equipment, more factory installed performance equipment (like Brembo brakes), luxury etc for a very competitive price.

At times it seems you are trying to convince yourself about why you got the GTO. Everyone else seems to be very clear of their preferences.

Last edited by chaman; 06-24-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

WS6 all day

2000 ws6 A4 (totalled)
Old 06-24-2007, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by chaman
\
At times it seems you are trying to convince yourself about why you got the GTO. Everyone else seems to be very clear of their preferences.
Are you kidding me!? I'd sell everything I have on wheels and half of what I dont if push came to shove just to keep the GTO. Its a car that moves well

F-Bodies aren't well built cars. They're just not. That doesn't mean they're poorly built, but you have to look at what you're comparing them to (compared to a GTO they are poorly built, and compared to most Lexus vehicles the GTO could be considered to not be very well built either so it's all relative). Power window motors, headlight motors in Firebirds, door panels cracking in Firebirds, the squeaks and rattles, etc. Get one with low miles and put subframes on it ASAP and hope for the best. I took care of mine and it still developed its fair share of squeaks and rattles. I'm not saying they aren't good cars as they definitely have their purpose, but it just comes down to whether that purpose is what you're looking for or if you're looking for something else...

I'm just trying to give the OP a different point of view over the "WS6 > all" lemming mentality that is so prevalent here because while it is a good car and it does have its strengths its far, far, far from the best thing on four wheels at its price point or any price point for that matter.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:02 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 207 Likes on 174 Posts

Other issues in favor of the T/A are the greater simplicity of design, higher production numbers, and thus bigger aftermarket, greater parts availability, and ease of service. Think about parts availability and price 5-10 years from now on the GTO.

This ties in with the known GTO suspension issues like leaky struts, bagged out bushings, tire rub on struts, etc. Getting it right means getting it "Pedderized" with Aussie aftermarket parts (read: expensive). An F-body is generally good to go with a set of Bilstein or Koni shocks.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Resident

Keep the T/A.