General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Do you consider F-bodies a "kid's car??"

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 03:19 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

GM never considered F bodies to be a "kid's car." Their projected demographic for a typical F body buyer was white, male, middle aged, professional and with a household income of approximately $80K. Usually however, it's snot nosed punks who drive like they have to prove something to everyone around them that lend to the image that F bodies are kids cars...
Old 06-21-2007, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by myk
GM never considered F bodies to be a "kid's car." Their projected demographic for a typical F body buyer was white, male, middle aged, professional and with a household income of approximately $80K.
I'm curious where you found that demographic information. Not being a smart *** or anything.

I live near Camp Pendleton, so I usually see 20-something military guys from out of state with F-bodies. In most cases, they tend to be from Southern states. Again, this may be strictly coincidence since I'm near a Marine base, but its the truth.

I'm in my middle 20's, make good money and a graduated from college, so I'm far from a "punk kid." But my friends all call my car the "the redneck sled of death."

That's when I give them a big
Old 06-21-2007, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

Most of the people I know that drive F-bodies are early 20's. I see F-bodies more as an affordable way to get some American muscle.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01bird58
Im getting up there in age (24) and most of my friends have been buying used vettes of late. They keep making fun of me for holding onto my "teenager sports car". I don't care too much what they say, but I am curious what your opinions are. I personally love my F-bod and will never part with it.
next time your buddys make fun of you for holding on to you teenage sports car laugh at them and tell them to pull the vett to the line!! most mildly modded F bodys dont have much problem with the stock/ light mod vetts. C6 and C6 ZO6 exempt!!! and if your friends are buying C6 ZO6es then yes those cars do make the F bodys look like childs toys!!
Old 06-21-2007, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

It was a toss up for me. Hell I'm net even 21 yet but I work my *** off and go to school and make good money. For me it came down 2 cars 01-02 Fbody or FRC vette only. I was looking for both, then I ran across my beauty. I'm in love with her f-body haha. I have no regrets because one of my friends with an 02 Z06 gets told to take his daddys car home which would **** me off.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:05 AM
Staging Lane

its funny i'm 19 and i have an ls1 camaro. My dad is 50 ... he has a '69 Corvette stingray. It seems so stereotypical (to me at least) yet so wierd at the same time. Right now i am 19, driving the car of my dreams (this and a Saleen S7 which i dont see me driving in the near future ha) it has taken my dad 30-40 some odd years in order to funally drive his dream car. I think you can definitely tell their i a generation gap, but each of us love each others cars .. i love driving the vette and he loves my camaro. I'm glad hes not just driving it for looks or status. I know he truly loves his car and isn't going to go around modding a original matching numbers classic
Old 06-22-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
"
i call my f-body "my drunken corvette." that's exactly what f-bodys are. they're the corvette's younger, punkass little brother full of rattles, creeks, vibrations - and i love every damn minute of it.
i love this quote b/c its the ****** truth
Old 06-23-2007, 12:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01bird58
Do you consider F-bodies a "kid's car??"
Hell F%*k no.
Originally Posted by Steelo00GT
Screw them. I know they are your friends, but any RWD car with a ton of power that you can easily lose control of is not a "kids" car.

There's a simple reason these cars have the highest mortality rate of any car on the road. They're affordable, underrated and underestimated.

Last edited by greysteel_M6; 06-23-2007 at 12:29 AM.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:27 AM
TECH Regular

I only know of a few kids that are under 21 that own these cars and didn't have mommy and daddy pay for it, and even then most don't them. Fbods will always be a gearhead car in my eyes. The car that you can always work on to make it bigger and faster. Anyone with a corvette is just jealous because for the most part their community of people involve a lot of ****** (not saying we don't have our own) and people who generally don't want to get involved in cars. How many corvettes do you see modded up around where you live? In MN and SC I have yet to see more than a handful total.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got my first GM v-8 when i was 19, my first f-body when i was 23 and my first ls-1 when i was 24 and i love this car to death. But when im older i look forward to having a z06 corvette parked next to my sophisticated working man's sports car aka my 2002 nbm camaro
Old 06-23-2007, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by myk
GM never considered F bodies to be a "kid's car." Their projected demographic for a typical F body buyer was white, male, middle aged, professional and with a household income of approximately $80K. Usually however, it's snot nosed punks who drive like they have to prove something to everyone around them that lend to the image that F bodies are kids cars...
Im a latino male 25, semi-proffessional and i make half of that income
Old 06-23-2007, 12:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Around here the insurance rates are so high on Z-28's and Trans Am's for under 25's I doubt very many younger people are buying these cars. Like myself, most of the people I work with are Aerospace Engineers and the Average age of the F-body owner in my building is late 40's.
The younger Engineers seem to drive Hondas, Acuras and the like when they first get out of college. When their paychecks start coming in they seem to buy low end luxury Imports. The Techs and the Admin people drive American trucks and cars for the most part .

Job outsourcing to foriegn countries should be tied to foriegn car ownership.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:40 AM
Staging Lane

Around here I see a lot of younger guys driving f-bodies. But I see it as more of a 21-30 or so. Of course there are always exceptions. By the way, I'm 17, and yes I am paying for my car unlike most people seem to think.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:49 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by BigT2002
Fbods will always be a gearhead car in my eyes.

It's not just about the modding either. In my area, I've found that the average Corvette owner bought their car for the status symbol first, and the hobby aspect second, or not at all. Usually they're more concerned about it being a "vette" than they are about knowing the technical aspects of their car. This is normally the case with the older crowd that's never been in the hobby before and suddenly decided to buy their first performance car when they turned 50.

When it comes to V8 F-body owners, status really has nothing to do with it. This is the sort of car that you buy because you're looking for an aggressive, manly, brute of a car that is the closest thing offered in modern times to an old school muscle car. At least that's why I've always bought F-bodies.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:31 AM
TECH Regular

I've only had f-bodies since I was 16. I'm 37 now. It may not be the best old person car for most people, but **** it. Drive what you want and can afford. My next car will be a Toyota or Honda NOT. I love the feeling of driving this car. I mean DRIVING it. It's hard to in traffic and all, but when I can, it feels good the way it is setup now. Most people are either jealous they can't own a fun car or don't know **** about cars or anything mechanical for that matter.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I got my first v8 fbody at 21 (23 now). I had wanted a firebird since I was like 15 though, and I had always loved the f-body cars they were my favorite. Partly because they were the most powerful cars I could afford, but also because of their character. They feel like a normal car that has too much power for its own good, and I loved that feeling. With the vette its clear your driving a more refined higher end sports car.

Kind of like how everyone says your car is an extension of your personality. I feel like with the f-body, it says I'm a normal guy but I choose to drive a badass car, not because I have to make up for anything (vette owner stereotype) but just because its so much fun.

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
When it comes to V8 F-body owners, status really has nothing to do with it. This is the sort of car that you buy because you're looking for an aggressive, manly, brute of a car that is the closest thing offered in modern times to an old school muscle car. At least that's why I've always bought F-bodies.
That's exactly how I see it.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:07 AM
Teching In

I am 19 currently, and I have driven a 94 V6 Camaro 5 speed for a little under 2 years, and this summer I decided to upgrade after going through my first new clutch in less than a year. . . I bought my 93 Formula LT1, and I love that car to death. Sure, it could use a little more speed, but to be honest with you, I'd rather have my slow as hell LT1 Firebird than any 'vette anyday. I love the looks I get in my car, with the loud exhaust it's got and the fact that 'vettes are so common around here, I get all kinds of attention. And to offset the "It's not your car, it's your parents' car" image, I paid for my car, I paid for the title and registration fees, and I pay for insurance on the car. Not my parents. I paid cash for my Camaro when I was a Senior in HS. That little V6 is what got me hooked, I'm just continuing on my journey. . . lol
Old 06-23-2007, 04:48 AM
12 Second Club

I started out with my 3rd gen when I was 17, now i'm 20 and I bought my 01 camaro ss from a dealer. I work full-time at Caterpillar to pay for it.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

It's not just about the modding either. In my area, I've found that the average Corvette owner bought their car for the status symbol first, and the hobby aspect second, or not at all. Usually they're more concerned about it being a "vette" than they are about knowing the technical aspects of their car. This is normally the case with the older crowd that's never been in the hobby before and suddenly decided to buy their first performance car when they turned 50.
I would imagine in Licolnwood this is a very true statement.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

So let me ask you young guys this? are you going to keep your f-body and buy a corvette when you get older?

I am

Quick Reply: Do you consider F-bodies a "kid's car??"