General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Do you consider F-bodies a "kid's car??"

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 02:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A mustang is a kids car...

in all realism though... my first Camaro was a 97 V6 and a hand-me-down from my brother, to my sister, then to me... by the time i got it, it wasn't that cool anymore and I realized it was a girly car (V6 Vert) as opposed to when my brother got it and I was only 11. My second, which was a 94 Z28 I never would have been able to buy without the help/support of my Mom, I can admit that, she didn't pay a dime for it, but she made sure I had access to loans and cash.

Now I'm 20 and I have a 99 SS and again, without my Mom I would be paying interest out the *** and probably not be able to have one of my dream cars so early in life.

Now if I wanted a kids car, I would never need help from my Mom to get loans and money in line, you can pick up a kids car from a used car dealership, because here on the southside of chi-town a kids car is a falling apart $500-$2000 beater or decent car with a million miles on it, not a $14,000 or so SS Camaro.

I think once the value of a car exceeds $7,000 it is more than an average "kid" (which I consider to mean 16-18) can afford.

I can afford a used Toyota Avalon, Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Ford Taurus, Chevy Truck...... etc. and they would all be less $$ than my Camaro, are those "kids" cars too?

And 1 more thing....can a car that has a sticker price of $32,000 be a "kids" car? I don't think a "kid" will ever afford that.... I know a lot of my friends parents who couldn't afford a new $32,000 car. Even my Mom who co-signs my loans wouldn't be able to afford a $32,000 car, she drives a V6 Mustang which was $19,900 new.....

But in short....nah its a big boy car, but if u buy it used enough, it can be affordable to anybody.

Last edited by SchultzLT1; 07-06-2007 at 02:51 AM.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:10 AM
TECH Addict

i feel like a kid when i am driving it, lol
Old 07-07-2007, 12:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02silvaZ
i feel like a kid when i am driving it, lol

Old 07-07-2007, 02:14 AM
Teching In

I know i am late on this, did not read the whole thread. I wanted a camaro befor i even knew what compensating is. spanking the **** out of some rich dude who can't change his own oil with a "kid's car" is priceless.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

47 years old and I love my Hawk. Thought about a Vette but they're too common place. I get more compliments on my car from the over 30 crowd than the kids. F body = Kids car? I think not.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Sorry to dig this thread up again, but I finally found this "Customer Profile" from the GM Media Archives.

"Firebird customers are traditional male enthusiasts (age 35+) who are passionate about horsepower and straight-line acceleration. They place a high value on the driving experience. They appreciate Firebird's handling, performance and extroverted style."

Here's the link to the entire 2002 presentation.

http://media.gm.com/ca/gm/en/product...2Firebird.html

By the way- I'm 54 yrs old, and I love my 02 WS6 TA, which I bought in August of 2006, to replace my 95 TA that was just getting tired.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

The first car i bought for myself when i landed my first real job out of college was a 96 z-28 back in '98.......had it for 1 year. I sold it because I was envious of the LS1 owners....... saved up for 3 1/2 years and ordered my 2002 Camaro SS that I still own and plan on owning for a very long time........I was 23 when I bought the z-28.........27 when i bought my SS and i'm currently 32

engaged to be married, so we'll see who gets the garage when we buy our first house.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by red devilSS
The first car i bought for myself when i landed my first real job out of college was a 96 z-28 back in '98.......had it for 1 year. I sold it because I was envious of the LS1 owners....... saved up for 3 1/2 years and ordered my 2002 Camaro SS that I still own and plan on owning for a very long time........I was 23 when I bought the z-28.........27 when i bought my SS and i'm currently 32

engaged to be married, so we'll see who gets the garage when we buy our first house.
Same boat as you, but my fiance knows that the TA gets all garage privilages. She doesnt even argue, she knows better
Old 07-10-2007, 11:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was 17 when I got my first f-body and I was jealus of the older guys driving these awesome sports cars. I was in a c5 vette doing a high speed race against a bike and a f-body passed us and then the superbike like nothing. it was in the that moment i had to get one, **** just today i ripped a vette a new *******, my dad is jealus of my car, hes 60. I dont feel i will ever part with it, not when old people are drooling all over my car in the parking lot and their jaws dropping the floor when i walk up and get in.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:03 AM
TECH Resident

Im 34 and love my fbody! Most "kids" that I know drive rice and are into things like body kits, fart cans, and wings and such.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

33 and still loving the F-body.I chose my WS6 over a C5 because that's what I wanted.I still plan on having a C5,but I'm not trading/selling the WS6 for it,I just need 1 more garage spot(just need to have alittle more $ and have the WS6 built the way I want it).I've always owned a F-body or two since I was 17 and I suppose I'll always will have one around.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:22 AM
Launching!

F-body is not kid-like... If GM were a family and the cars were the members of the family, Corvette would be the skinny ADHD little brother. The F-Body would be the big bro who picks up RX-8's for dates every night.

Or, if it were football, Corvette would be the receiver or running back while the F-body would be the quarterback. Who gets the most chicks? Quarterbacks or running backs? (I don't watch football if anyone is wondering)
Old 07-11-2007, 05:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2fstws6
I am 44 year old kid , sold my 99 vette year and half ago and bought one of these kids car with 400 + rwhp.Now a v tec honda with blue neon lights and a fart can is a kids car these days.These are real modern muscle cars .Most of those vette owners have never even put the peddle down anyway.
This is true. Plus our insurance is cheaper, the car cost less to repair, and we have a little extra space with that rear seat.

I actually see this car as an old farts car. At least, that is what the 350Z community thinks. Yes, I own one of those as well. It's a little easier on the gas and parking. It's my beater. My bird is my old school powerhouse. In my circles that is what most think.

Don't get me wrong the Real Old School would be '67 Camaro. Do the Corvette folk think that is a kids car as they once were thought of?

Point is: I think the perspective is changing on these cars as the years go by.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

The older our cars become they are more able to be bought by a younger community. Just because their are some kids who have F-Bodies doesnt mean they are a kids car. Most parents do not like to buy a kid a sports car for their first car. I am only 15years old and i do have a camaro but i have learned over the years about them. I can also handle my car very well being young because i have been driving around since i was 12. Just remeber that most kids that have an F-Body cant drive it to its fullest potential.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by irbs
The older our cars become they are more able to be bought by a younger community. Just because their are some kids who have F-Bodies doesnt mean they are a kids car. Most parents do not like to buy a kid a sports car for their first car. I am only 15years old and i do have a camaro but i have learned over the years about them. I can also handle my car very well being young because i have been driving around since i was 12. Just remeber that most kids that have an F-Body cant drive it to its fullest potential.

lol WHAT!? 12!? 15!? 400 RWHP?!
Old 07-11-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think the younger kids nowadays appreciate the american muscle, all they care about is the gigantic wing and fart can. Whats bad though is all the girls go for that too lol, at least around here. I saw a honda hatchback with a 10 ft wing on it and glow in the dark A-pillar gauge pod and a big fart can come on to 465... i rolled up next to him and he immediately pulled over to the side of the road like a dog with its tail tucked in between his legs. He was afraid to get OWNED.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:36 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01bird58
Do you consider F-bodies a "kid's car??"
Nope
Old 07-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

my dad used to drag race back in the 70's and early 80's. After a while, it was financially not viable, especially after having 3 kids. So, as years went on, and money was available, he slowly started to get back into racing. In the early 90's he built and raced go-karts......then when I bought my 2002 SS back in 2002, I think that is when his "mid-life crisis" took over and he went and bought a '95 z-28. Over the past 4 years, he gradually built it into a drag racing car. Its currently at a shop having the rollcage installed.

The point is, out of all the years and makes of chevys he had to choose from...........he chose a Camaro! ya know why? because THAT is American muscle and a damn good base to make a racecar out of...........not to mention, he loved my SS.

Hey Smokin00WS6.........As for the SS getting the garage after I get married, well............if i dont get it, i'll withold sex from her, yeah, that's what i'll do! NOT! I'll just have to explain to her that the SS needs a place to sleep more than her RAV4.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know, I think age doesn't really come into it. A lot of people who drive these are under 25 because they dont have to have anything more practical. I think they only reason that middle aged people arnt as prominent in fbodies is because it is very expensive to just have a weekend car and a nice practical dd. I am 19, had my Formy for 2 years, 2nd car. I have a dd, but its a total POS and most older people have more responsibilites that trump having an fbody.

Also, you have to remember that a lot of older people might have fbodies but arnt so great on the net. My dad loves fast cars and all that, but he is internet retarded. My grandpa doesnt even have a computer and has never in his life used one or would even think about trying to use one.

My dads first car was a 69 SS350 that is now in my grandpa's possesion with a 355 4spd and is a Z/28 clone. I am just following in the footsteps.

IMO you can never be too old to have a fun car, and that is what an Fbody is.

p/s @ Jon. Yeah, it is really disappointing, most girls go for trucks or the rice. It is sad that everyone in my high school thought my car would be destroyed by a Civic Si or my one friends E36 M3. Civic refused to race, E36 his is a 5spd with 3.96 gears and about 18k+ in it, I still walked him in my near stock fbody t-tops off, passenger and full system. owned. People underestimate the fbodies.

Last edited by ThumperNC24; 07-11-2007 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:38 PM
TECH Regular

(lol)@kids car.Never heard that one.I have heard poor mans vette(Camaro).I am 28 still and always will love f-bods.

Quick Reply: Do you consider F-bodies a "kid's car??"