General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Is this a good deal

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 11:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good deal???

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, but I think I found an outstanding deal and I wanted the opinion of some experts.

The Car:

*2002 Pontiac Trans Am (Not a WS6)
*A4 (Automatic Transmission)
*White w/ charcoal interior
*34,626 miles on the odometer
*TTops
*No mods so far as I know

The BAD:
*At one point the car has been salvaged and now has a rebuilt title.(what are some problems I could run into after buying a car with a rebuilt title?)
**Car was hit in the rear.(+because less chance the motor was damaged)
*Owner doesn't really do trades so I would have to pay cash and deal with having two cars. (for a college kid not a good idea)

The Price:
starting at $11,500, but the owner is willing to come down some.
The owner is a young lady who owns a small dealership. She says she has too much invested in the car for the size of her dealership and wants to get rid of it. Claims that the car drives fine no vibrations whatsoever and the body is straight (i.e. Body work done was good, all gaps, spacing, and panels line up right)

By the way:

*kbb
**MSRP 18,000
**Private Party(FAIR): 14,000
**Trade in (FAIR): 12,000

From what I can tell from the pictures the car looks nice.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by tmaschm; 06-23-2007 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, this probably belongs in the General LSX discussion forum: https://ls1tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=118

as for your question, I am against the rebuilt title thing. you might run into more problems down the line than you know of. if you're financing it, you'll run into more problems than financing something that has a clean title. since it has a rebuilt title, if you ever decide to sell it you won't get near what you put into it. I've seen some later model Trans Ams go through these forums with under 60k miles for less than 13,000... and with a clean title. I'd search around a little more before you decide to jump on something. But my first suggestion is do what will make you happy!
Old 06-24-2007, 06:10 PM
Launching!

TTT for the day....Any more opinions
Old 06-25-2007, 07:23 AM
Launching!

TTT... for the morning.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why are you bumping this in the for sale section, wrong section - try this in LSx general.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:42 PM
Teching In

Stay away from salvage title vehicles. I bought a chevy truck with a salvage title and found many suprises in my short period of ownership (wind noises, door hinges misaligned, missing weather stripping, windshield leaks, splash guards missing,etc,etc). I also found that a some GM dealers will not work on vehicles with "flagged" titles either. If it is salvage it must be VERY cheap. $5500 would be a good starting point.