General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Towing a f-body (tow bars)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing a f-body (tow bars)

Does anyone know of a company that makes a tow bar for our cars. In case you dont know what they are, it allows the car to have all four tires on th ground and get pulled in the front by either a truck or an RV. I figured that this would be a cheaper alternative then getting AAA. If anyone could help i would really appreciate it. I tried a google search but found nothing for our cars.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

bump!
Old 07-13-2007, 12:46 AM
NKAWTG...N

Hmm never heard of it. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist...

Good luck! I'd say just stick the front wheels on a trailer though, or all four on a trailer. It can't be good for the car to have all 4 wheels on the ground and taking turns since the steering would be locked.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was in high school I made my own tow bar. It was 1/2" x 2" mild steel in a "V" shape with a bracket across the open end and slightly toward the inside to make a triangle with tabs. The tabs had a 3/4" hole for mating with the car's "L" shaped brackets. I purchased the hitch portion at an auto parts store and welded it on. The brackets on the bottom of the car were upside down "L" shaped. This time I used "1/2" x 4" mild steel welded into an L. I used two bolts to bolt through the box sub-frame of the '65 Chevy Nova to attach the brackets. The other part of the "L" bracket had a single 3/4" hole. Through the hole of the bracket and the tow-bar I used 3/4" bolts and cotter-pinned the nut on the end.

I used this set-up for a couple of years to tow to Great Lakes Drag-a-way about fifty miles one-way on weekends. Never had any problems. The two car was a '72 Chev station wagon. I kept the parking lights on the Nova while it was towed. The tow bar was over kill strong, but I used what steel there was in the metal shop. I would suggest hollow round 1-3/4" steel tubing for yours.

After I arrived at the race track I mounted the slicks.

Let me know how yours works out. They are easy to make. Just keep your angles square. Use good welds instead of bolts. The front tires of the towed car turned a necessary around turns. I left the steering wheel loose.

Quick Reply: Towing a f-body (tow bars)