General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

To get Z28 or GTO?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update:

I'm going to see if I can work something out with a Z28 owner and will need help deciding if it's a good deal.

I will post the link later.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
I would be tempted to get the GTO for its much better interior. Further, fewer younger drivers have them so it might be less beat on.
My thoughts exactly! The 05-06 LS2 GTO is so refined and sounds so damn good becuase the true-dual exhaust set-up. Also The F-Bodies interior belongs in a dumpster I have 2 F-Bodies and i love them but one of them is going soon for a new Camaro/Vette I haven't really ruled out a GTO also
Old 08-07-2007, 01:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
It really is about opinion. I see IRS as a disadvantage, and the interior on the GTO just can't make up for the lacking exterior.

As for twisty open roads, those of us living in major cities don't have much of that anyway.

I really have no problem with the F-body interior. They are not luxuary cars, anyone expecting or looking for that shouldn't be in the market for an F-body in the first place. They are muscle cars with great style (opinion), decent handling and brakes, all at an affordable price.

The GTO is a lower end luxuary coupe with a muscle car engine.

Two different cars really, and the price tag puts them in two different catigories as well.

GTO would make a nice daily driver, but to me it's just not "fun" looking/feeling enough to be a weekend toy like my Camaro is.
At least someone knows what they are talking about

I've owned an f-body befor my GTO and I can say I don't miss it... the only thing I do miss is that it was paid off. The GTO is an expensive car to mod, they are starting to get a good amount of aftermarket parts but you are still going to pay big $$$ for them and it's probably always going to be that way.

It comes down to what YOU want. They are two different cars. I suggest you drive one of each and then come to a decision.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:57 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by KtownGoat
Thats because most of us (GTO owners) wont buy crappy pacesetters, ($400 coated BTW for the GTO same as the F-body)...SS headers are $$$ no matter what type car they are for. My Kooks in the F body form are 898.91....hmmmm research is your friend!
http://marylandspeed.com/index.php?cPath=49_152
wow you are sooooo stupid.. crappy pacesetters?!?! r u serious. im not even gonna argue with an idiot right now. Just to let u know, most headers are the same but your paying for the 'name'. And im talking about ls2 headers, not ls1
Old 08-07-2007, 10:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PapaSmurf2005
At least someone knows what they are talking about

I've owned an f-body befor my GTO and I can say I don't miss it... the only thing I do miss is that it was paid off. The GTO is an expensive car to mod, they are starting to get a good amount of aftermarket parts but you are still going to pay big $$$ for them and it's probably always going to be that way.

It comes down to what YOU want. They are two different cars. I suggest you drive one of each and then come to a decision.

I dont know where you get the more expensive to md. If you are talking headers then yeah a little but eveything else is the same as an LS1 so why would it be more expensive? Plus you can actually work on the LS2 in the engine bay.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Bang for the buck? Ok number one: the GTO costs more and performs about the same if not less compared to a z28. Number two: aftermarket parts are a good bit more expensive for newer cars (the GTO). Have you looked at the price of headers for this car? You don't wanna look...trust me. The whole comfortable interior thing drives me nuts. If you want a sports car you gotta accept the fact that it's not gonna ride like a cadillac..duh! The GTO does have nice interior but all that stuff packs on the weight of the vehicle. You never know...if you look hard enough you could find a freak z28. I've never heard of freak GTO's yet.

So in other words...I say go for the camaro all day! $10,000 less for the same performance!
Old 08-07-2007, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

The whole comfortable interior thing drives me nuts. If you want a sports car you gotta accept the fact that it's not gonna ride like a cadillac..duh!
That's where you're wrong. You can get good performance without sacrificing ride comfort. Put another way, to get good performance it shouldn't have to feel like a drag car. 05/06 GTO are right about the same performance as LS1 F-bodies (stock vs. stock)...ride comfort is worlds apart.

Basically it comes down to is the ride comfort/interior worth the extra $$$. The F-bodies are gonna win the price/performance question.

And of course the GTO needs mucho grande help in the looks department.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pewter02WS6
Bang for the buck? Ok number one: the GTO costs more and performs about the same if not less compared to a z28. Number two: aftermarket parts are a good bit more expensive for newer cars (the GTO). Have you looked at the price of headers for this car? You don't wanna look...trust me. The whole comfortable interior thing drives me nuts. If you want a sports car you gotta accept the fact that it's not gonna ride like a cadillac..duh! The GTO does have nice interior but all that stuff packs on the weight of the vehicle. You never know...if you look hard enough you could find a freak z28. I've never heard of freak GTO's yet.

So in other words...I say go for the camaro all day! $10,000 less for the same performance!

I will have a freak goat on my hands in about 4 weeks, when it gets back from the shop. Right now N/A #'s are 503RWHP/454RWTQ. After the D1sc and the 402 install it should be somwhere over 800 at the wheels. Now thats a freaky goat!
Old 08-07-2007, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Look man I'm sorry. I wasn't saying they're aren't any fast ones out there by any means! LMAO! I've got a few friends with some pretty quick GTO's and I know they can be just as fast as an Fbody no problem.

johnh....my TA doesn't feel like a drag car by any means. It actually rides quite nice for a sports car. I'm not saying that if you drive a GTO that your a "soft" guy that doesn't want the feel of a sports car. It's just my personal opinion by saying that people complain about the interior and ride of comfort of fbody's yet they want a sports car. And the fbody's don't ride bad at all. And as far as an fbody having bad interior?? Maybe the camaro's. I have friends with camaros that wanna ride in my car all the time cuz the seats are much better than their's.
I'm really not trying to come off like I don't like the GTO's cuz I do like them. I would gladly drive one daily but would just rather have an Fbody for my weekend warrior ya know? And I wish they would revamp the exterior of the car and maybe go oldschool look a little with it. I'd prolly be more inclined to consider buying one. But if I do buy another LSx car I think it'll be the new camaro or a C5.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:33 PM
ino
TECH Enthusiast

I would buy the z and mod it. It would beat the gto and your insurance would probably be cheaper on the z.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Daily driver GTO would be nice still have power when u want it. If your going to do stuff to it then go with a z28, lot less expensive. Personally I dont really need a 11 second daily driver so I'd like a little more luxury. A stock gto with the 6.0 and z28 run real close stock. If your not hurting to bad for money go with a gto, if money is little tighter then go with a z28 dont stretch urself out.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
I dont know where you get the more expensive to md. If you are talking headers then yeah a little but eveything else is the same as an LS1 so why would it be more expensive? Plus you can actually work on the LS2 in the engine bay.
Go look at new aftermarket parts for these cars, headers/exhaust, brakes, FI set ups, rear end parts, etc. You'll see what I'm talking about.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pewter02WS6
You are talking about a new car vs a used car, of course there will be a price difference. When new the LS1 f-bodies cost around the same as the GTO's did.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:39 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in your shoes not too long ago and I drove an 04, and an 05 gto and yeah the GTO was pretty in the interior but my buddy told me to drive an f-body which I was not a fan of at all. I drove my buddies 6 speed 05 gto and my boy josh's 02 z28 right after and the camaro pulled harder,plus the GTO weighs too much. I went with a 2002 z28 SOM A4 black leather with 51,000 miles for 14,000 instead of over 20,000 for the GTO. I am so happy I got the z instead of the GTO. Plus the Camaro will hold more value later on then the GTO....

+1 for the z28!!11
Old 08-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

I'm fixed on getting a Z28 and I'm searching for one on this site. I see some that I like but need help with loan ideas.

Can anyone help me out with an idea on how to get a low % loan in a check form that I can put into my bank account and take out cash to entice the seller?
I'm new to car buying and need a little help on this.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PapaSmurf2005
Go look at new aftermarket parts for these cars, headers/exhaust, brakes, FI set ups, rear end parts, etc. You'll see what I'm talking about.

I have, exhaust setups are the only thing thats more exspensive. The rears in these cars seem to be fairly strong, unlike the 10 bolt. No need for new brakes IMO, they're alot better than f body brakes. As far as motor mods the LS1 and LS2 are practically the same motor so no more money there. Intake/Heads/Cam for LS1 = LS2 $$$ wise. LS2 just makes more power because of the more cubes.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TheRealSpdFreak
I'm fixed on getting a Z28 and I'm searching for one on this site. I see some that I like but need help with loan ideas.

Can anyone help me out with an idea on how to get a low % loan in a check form that I can put into my bank account and take out cash to entice the seller?
I'm new to car buying and need a little help on this.
Try www.capitalone.com auto financing. I've used them twice for new cars. They bought out a company called people first or something.

Damn, I like them both. Camaro woud be cheaper. Drive them both and decide.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
I have, exhaust setups are the only thing thats more exspensive. The rears in these cars seem to be fairly strong, unlike the 10 bolt. No need for new brakes IMO, they're alot better than f body brakes. As far as motor mods the LS1 and LS2 are practically the same motor so no more money there. Intake/Heads/Cam for LS1 = LS2 $$$ wise. LS2 just makes more power because of the more cubes.
The only replacement for displacement is: Technology, But yes, it must be nice to have the extra cubes.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

I'm not sure if a personal loan will be cheaper.

Quick Reply: To get Z28 or GTO?