General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

LS1 in the Snow?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 10:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Driving an LS1 in the snow is like openly dating a fat chick - It will get you some action, but probably diviates from your adolescent dreams...
I agree. It will get you where you want to go, but you would not want to live that way for the rest of your life.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did it once in my old 02 z28 m6 and i thought it was worse with the asr on. but i will never do it again, i like my car too much, thats why i have a beater, its a ford so i dont care if i hit a tree with it
Old 08-28-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Epro
Ohh god.... it'd be so much easier to go out and buy a $200 beater...

Have you ever seen the effects of salt on an fbody? It's NOT pretty.
I have been driving my 1998 Z28 every winter here in northeast Ohio and there is NO rust on the entire car! I we were talking about a 3rd gen f-body, then no way would I drive it; those cars rust just sitting in a heated garage while it snows outside Wash the car as soon as it gets near 40 degrees and go to either a spray and wash yourself with high-pressure and pay special attention to the undercarriage. I take my Z28 to a brushless car wash that has the undercarriage cleaning system and also applies an anti-corrosion material on the undercarriage.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

I drive my 3.4L V6 Camaro in the winter.. (Let the V8's have the garage). Just buy yourself a set of snow tires. Also, fill your trunk up with some weight. I usually put 2-3 Sand bags in the back of my car. It will give you some more traction. I always carry a shovel in my car though. Just incase I do get snowed in.

Got another question for you though.. Do they use salt or sand on the roads before/when it snows?
Old 08-28-2007, 12:22 PM
Teching In

Hey I'm in Utah also (no, I'm not mormon I'm in the Air Force) I've driven a few decently powered RWD cars during the winter with zero problem. Everything from a 400rwhp Nissan 240sx, Lexus LS430, old school mazda van ect... As long as you have decent tires you're all set. I don't know much about f-bodys but I assume you have traction control, that'll help out big time.

Either way the winters here have been pretty lowkey since I've been here (2004). And I grew up in Mass, RI and CT.

There are a couple decent Utah car forums. Not sure if I can post them up but PM me and I'll send them to you.

Good luck and welcome to Utah. It sucks here
Old 08-28-2007, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

as long as its not multiple feet , ive driven a few lts throughout winter in northern Va no problem
Old 08-28-2007, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

I add two 50 lb. bags of sand to the rear of the V6 and can get around fairly well in two or three inches of snow. As stated earlier hills can be a challenge. I have ventured out once in the Z28 in snow and would not consider it a second time.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

I would buy a 200-500 dollar beater to get through the winter. Here in NY I've seen people that drive their cars in the winter and the snow and ice isn't a problem but come spring even after just 1 winter season the salt just eats things alive.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

also be cognizant of the ground if your car is lowered or if the city uses salt on the roads. I would recommend an undercoat and studded tires. If its lowered in the spring watch out for frost heaves

Im storing mine this winter, as I live in canada...i still have a little mazda mx6, that'll suffice.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Rally cars use really narrow tires in the snow.....

Basically just go find a narrow(bettter traction)/small(better pothole resistance) set of wheels that still clear your brakes..and go buy some snow tires for them....some really really aggressive snow tires..put about 100-200lbs in the trunk..and enjoy
Old 08-29-2007, 01:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by EspaceF1Fan
Rally cars use really narrow tires in the snow.....

Basically just go find a narrow(bettter traction)/small(better pothole resistance) set of wheels that still clear your brakes..and go buy some snow tires for them....some really really aggressive snow tires..put about 100-200lbs in the trunk..and enjoy
Quite right. I've seen narrow motorcycle tires that were wider than those used for the Swedish winter stop of the WRC!! The irony is that they can actually go faster with that narrow, heavily studded rubber on ice/snow, than they can on dry gravel with gravel spec tires!!!

BTW; is your username from the F1 V-10 equipped Renault (at least I think it was a Renault) minivan??
Old 08-29-2007, 02:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Quite right. I've seen narrow motorcycle tires that were wider than those used for the Swedish winter stop of the WRC!! The irony is that they can actually go faster with that narrow, heavily studded rubber on ice/snow, than they can on dry gravel with gravel spec tires!!!

BTW; is your username from the F1 V-10 equipped Renault (at least I think it was a Renault) minivan??

You betcha about the minivan