General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

The bird almost bit the big one last night...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The bird almost bit the big one last night...

So I was driving to a friend's house yesterday, about 10:30 at night. If any of you have driven in College Station, Texas, you'll know the roads & intersections SUCK. Well I was traveling down a poorly lit road and went to make a right turn onto a street with about a 25-30 degree incline. I make the turn next to someone who's waiting to turn left, all the while attempting to avoid bottoming out, and then once I'm almost entirely through the turn, I give it some gas to get me up the incline and through the turn. But what the dark streets had hidden was the little stream that was coating the incline and horribly paved slick road. The moment I came on the gas, the back end just kicked out, flying at the car waiting to turn left. This is all on a 2 lane road, my lane and his lane. I immediately cut the wheels hard left and tapped the gas to get the back end to swing right and point my nose past his back end so if I suddenly went straight I would just go off the road and (hopefully) not hit anything. But I came completely off the gas once I knew the back end was clear of his car. I snapped back right cresting the hill of the intersection and continuing my slide forward down the now flat stretch of road. By now my passenger was halfway through saying, "Oh sh*t, son!" and I saw the oncoming traffic and made my final move. I cut the wheel left, tapped the gas one last time, and did a controlled 180, coming to a complete stop. I sat there, idling, and prayed. Very hard. The oncoming car stopped, and I reversed and turned right on the street that I had turned off of. I'm so glad that there was only one car waiting to turn left, and there was no immediate oncoming traffic at first. Somehow I managed to never leave the pavement on a narrow 2 lane road. I probably came into my turn a little too hot, but I really wish there was better lighting. I was so pissed that it happened, but my friend brought up the point that at least it wasn't on my motorcycle...

Water + RWD = Sux. The end.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:47 PM
12 Second Club

I feel your pain, on the highway the other morning after a nice rain (right after I woke up) kicked it down to get around some slow moving traffic, I was doing about 80. Well the car go pretty damn sideways for doing 80. I think I should bring pampers with me when I drive in the rain haha. Yea 300 horse rwd cars can get pretty scary in the rain. I'm not sure how I saved it I was to tired to remember.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Teching In

I've had a similair experience in the rain... but it wasnt speed that killed me, it was my tires. Kinda funny though because i work at discount tire. Anyway, heres the story! I was driving down hwy-6 (texas) and i am just hoping that the day goes by soundly in the pouring *** rain. i was on my way to my senior picture day at elkins high school when all of a sudden my rear tires not only slip out because of the rain but apparently that section of hwy-6 is notorious for having oil come up during the rain. so in this 6 lane highway i flew from the very left lane on my side to the first lane of oncoming traffic, then across all 3 of my lanes again (facing outgoing traffic) and slid down a 20 foot ditch sideways (luckily not nose down!) and then sat there. Suprisingly there was no damage to the car and i learned my lesson. It cost me $175 to tow my car out of that ditch and $430 for the new tires (BFG g-force KDW) to make sure that doesnt happen again. Turns out my calipers decide to lock up a week later and i needed to get new rotors and calipers. That was another $600 in repairs/maintanence. Not only that but in that week i decided to go ahead and order my new rims and tires which came in right at the time my calipers locked up. That was the biggest blow! $2600 for the new rims and tires which i didnt have because i had just spent $1000 just on maintanence!!! It took me some borrowing from my brothers, selling my old rims and tires while leaving the car on jacks, and a weekly payment plan to take care of all of this **** started by one incident of rain. By the way, it was also prom time so i had to put a little cash into that. Basically it took me 4 months of paying up to come back into the positive which is where im at now!
Old 09-07-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

one time the car slipped and i ended up in someones front yard. i will never forget that time. i could have hit a pole, mailbox, or even worse drive into the house. pretty scary moment in my life.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

i was driving back from Los Angeles to Salt Lake City a few years back....right when i get into Utah from Nevada a freak snow storm starts, so im scared shitless already... im going 30 mph in 6th and i drop it down to 5th because my rpms are so damn slow. As soon as i hit 5th the tires just spin, i try to control the car but im just riding the ice...i went into a ditch about 10 ft down and get stuck, luckily nothing happened to the car but it was a long night....what sucks is i was only 1 mile from where i was going to stop for the night...
Old 09-07-2007, 10:28 PM
Teching In

Last sunday riding back home on the intersate riding about 50 when the rain just hit hard as hell out of nowhere, there were cars on both sides, infront, and behind me.i felt it trying to get sideways and i couldnt correct it, it spun 3 time right in the middle of the street then across 2 lanes scariest **** ever!
Old 09-07-2007, 11:04 PM
Teching In

RAIN + DRAG RADIALS = OH F***, thats what always scares me every time it rains im like why do i always drive around on dr's
Old 09-07-2007, 11:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-lsx-automobile-discussion/774957-camaro-mishaps.html
Old 09-07-2007, 11:21 PM
10 Second Club

Drag radials + Rain = Never agian... Here is the short version.. I was on the far right lane and ended up on the far left lane of the opposite side when It was raining once.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

i took my 3rd gen out in the middle of a blizzard to go get eggs and milk, let me just say i had a blast and thank god i was the only mad man out =X

i was stuck in a parking lot of a grocery store for 20 minutes, was fun as hell ice under snow +rwd = the bomb
Old 09-08-2007, 11:51 PM
TECH Resident

Never had anything like that but had my car get stuck 200 ft from my destination cuz the snow was deep enough to lift my car off the pavement.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 913 Likes on 653 Posts

Man that sucks. Sounds like you did some good driving to get out of it.

Last week coming home from work it was cool outside, it has been in the high 90's for weeks. Since it was cool the Hawk was running better. I went through a sharp turn in 2nd gear, about 4500rpm probably about 35mph. I was almost completely out of the turn and hit the gas and blew the tires off, the car came around and shot into the other lane. I was thinking, "Yup, my car's done for." I got out of the gas so it would grab, grabbed the wheel hard and got back on the has some to get the car to settle down.

It hasn't kicked out like that before, goes to show better air makes the car run better, and like I really need heads/cam!
Old 09-09-2007, 02:40 PM
TECH Resident

I remember a few months back they were doing alot of construction in carrollton, the roads were all filled with a layer of soft dirt. i went around a corner i normally take at 25, but this time the rear end swung out (the tires are ****), the nose dove towards one curb, jerked the wheel back to the right side, same thing happens seeing as its a one lane road kinda deal. an suv turns the corner and this time im going straight at it, i said screw it im not wrecking it, so my last attempt was hitting the brakes, sliding some and my front right tire went onto the curb

glad i didnt hit that yukon head on, that probably would have ended in a total.

damage done, outter tie rod, 95$

prevantative money spend, $250 for strano springs, $450 17" wheels, $700 4 BFG KWD's
Old 09-09-2007, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

i've got a good one to. where you go to leave key west the traffic that wants to leave all meets together from both dirrections, it's basicly a 2 way road in one road so traffic all heads like > V < ...anyways i was leaving key west one day and as i took my right (it had been pooring rain and the roads slick) i took my basic right turn but problem is i had left it in 2nd because i was being an ******* only moments before doing a little drift action, but as i took the right like i always do and punch it like i always do to beat traffic i slid sideways, and this is right next to a big rig soo i'm sliding next to an 18 wheeler lol. i my *** was left and so were my front tires so i finally managed to whip it and correct and slide into my lane.... needless to say i had a hell of a time lighting a cigarette after that, almost as frightening as the time i had a shark mouth go over my hand when i was on the boat and had my head a different direction lol...GOOD TIMES
Old 09-09-2007, 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

geez that's ridiculous... yay for RWD and way more power than anyone actually needs good to know I'm not the only one who has had this kinda crap happen to them. glad most of our stories have ended in no damage... and none of them have been too bad off. well, off to wash the car and take some night shots on a rooftop tonight
Old 09-09-2007, 05:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Way back in 02 my senior year I had a 86 2.8 5 speed Camaro. My first car gave me my most pants shitting experience. I was in the left lane of two lanes turning left onto a 3 lane road, US-19 in FL. Well I had axle fluid that was leaking into the rear drums and it had just barely rained. I turned left just normally, the brake locked up in the rear on one side, as I was counter steering it let go suddenly. I ended up spinning across the three lanes, thankfully right lane in the turn hadn't gotten there yet. I come to rest on the front lawn of this auto sales place that had a dip down then went up to their lot, where I stopped I was facing the cars I was just sitting next to at the light. Traffic in the two lanes just stop and everyone is staring at me, also the cars stopped at the light heading south on 19. I just put the clutch in and fired it back up and got on my way. That was the worse experience in loosing control of the car, I learned a lot of things when I was 17.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

it's funny knowing that everyone that sees us do this is probably like.. oh look at the ******* trying to show off in his big bad V8, ******* ******.. in the mean time you're words are ohhhh shhhiiiiiittttt OMG!! oh god no no no LOL....... or oh **** hold my beer, OR from my first and only REAL crash i said the classic, HOLD MY BEER AND WATCH THIS, several seconds later we are in the woods with a tree on my hood (nissan sentra)
Old 09-10-2007, 02:17 AM
TECH Addict

Lol, you're probably one of the guys that pushes that ASR button every time you get in the car right? That's ok, I am too but glad to hear you made it without a scratch.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:24 AM
TECH Veteran

wonder what would happen if you hit the ASR button when youre sliding like that.

"ASR response: hey buddy, you turn me off all the time, now when you need me im not doing ****, have fun countersteering"
Old 09-10-2007, 03:04 AM
On The Tree

Figured Id throw my "Im and idiot" story in.

It was about 1130pm on a friday night. Me and my buddy were heading up to westchester PA for some drinks and hopefully some tail. I was getting onto 476 in springfield. It was a "damp" night out and they were apparently doing roadwork on the onramp because it had done of those huge steel plates over the hole they had dug. I went up the off ramp and goosed it as per my normal "onramp" behaviour. Apparently I had the worst timing of all time and I was right over the steel plate. The rear end started going right so I countered with some gas and a left jerk, the rear end now whips left, so I get completely out of it tap the breaks and add some gas get it back under control just in time to get another nice big steel plate, the car 180's on me and stalls out about 5 inches away from the gaurdrail and 10 feet from the highway. Im facing the wrong way on the on ramp sitting there. I believe I said to my buddy "That **** was wild son" his response was "I cant believe that just f'in happened". This lady pulls up next to us and says "you guys ok?" I tell her yea and she says "You know how to turn that thing around". I was all mostly because she could probably see the sweat pouring off of me and decided to be a smartass.