General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Weight reduction: What can I ditch without turning my Z into a hollowed out soup can?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007 | 01:28 AM
Launching!

Question Weight reduction: What can I ditch without turning my Z into a hollowed out soup can?

I'm looking for some weight reduction mods to do to my 2000 Z28 but I don't want a hollowed out race car. I'd like to keep creature comforts and have the car appear 100% stock inside/out. What can I rip out without sacrificing comfort/driveabiltiy? I want the car to be an everyday type of car with A/C, all the stereo goodies besides subs/amps.

So far I've tossed around these ideas...and they're all questionable, nothing definate.
-tune the car and delete all smog/emissions equipment(figure 30-40lbs maybe)
-remove front/rear bumper supports(the foam crap)
-remove the spare/jack/etc(and pray I never get a flat)
-VFN fiberglass hood(I'm getting it either way but I figure it'll help a bit with weight)
-NO interior removal, I HATE gutted interiors, I want to keep all seats and door panels

Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated and I'd like to get as much opinions as possible. Ideally...and this is just a dream...I'd like to get it to 3400lbs w/o me in it and still have a pleasant experience driving it daily if I want to.

DISCUSS.
Old 09-14-2007 | 06:24 AM
'Bird Director
20 Year Member

From: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant

Weight Reduction List: https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/17319-weight-reduction-list.html

Quick Reply: Weight reduction: What can I ditch without turning my Z into a hollowed out soup can?