General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Worth getting 3' Custom Y pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worth getting 3' Custom Y pipe?

Hey guys im goin to make an appointment for this week to get a 3'' custom Y pipe, to get rid of some restriction in those gay stockers. My question is, i didnt ask him yet if he will just go straight through (no cats, just got emisisons done) because i do want my car louder (already have a cutout), but if he won't take the cats off, is it worth $110 for just a 3'' Y pipe bolted up to the cats, will i see any gains, or will it be any louder with my cutout then with my stock Y pipe with the flattened driver side pipe!
Old 09-17-2007, 04:54 PM
11 Second Club

Well, if you were REALLY interested in gain, true duals would be what you should shoot for.

I know for Arizona, it is illegal to fabricate an exhaust setup without Cats, but shops will still do it anyways. If you are going Y pipe... I would stick with the cats because you wouldn't be gaining much if at all, and you don't want the horrible odor from being cat-less

Now, if you were to consider duals, getting the cats taken off would be a bit more reasonable because they are going to be pretty damn loud anyway, and you want to squeeze the most power you can out of your setup.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

waste of money, get long tubes and then upgrade your y. i think slp or someone alreayd makes a y that goes up to your stock cats and its less than that. i don't think it shows any gains tho, and i doubt it'll be ne louder if you don't remove the cats. I think the opening on the cats / stock manifolds is less than 3inches as well. i would long tubes first, then pay the guy to do a custom y, or just buy an ORY there like 100 bucks ne ways.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

what if he make it catless (i think he should) would it be worth it then, i really dont have enough money for headers yet
Old 09-17-2007, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hasenbonkers
what if he make it catless (i think he should) would it be worth it then, i really dont have enough money for headers yet

stock manifolds to an ORY to a cutout... um i dunno man.

put the 110 toward a set of long tubes, you can pick up pacesetters for under 300 bucks if you want a budget set, i don't think you'll see any gains getting the Y fabbed up , and if you decide to go with Long Tubes down the road your going to need a new one ne ways.

It's just my opinion though.

if the money's really burning a whole in your pocket, buy a Lid, and/or have you stock throttle body ported.

i think you'll like the results better... just a thought

Last edited by 98_Formula; 09-17-2007 at 05:26 PM.