General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Stiff Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 08:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stiff Power Steering

Whats up.. I've got a 2000 Ws6 with tight as hell power steering at idle. When i give her a lil juice it loosens right up. The cars been lowered and i was told that it has alot of pressure on the front end because of the springs. Now i know that in theory it kinda makes sense but im still not buying it. I've changed the fluid with a thicker viscosity ( lucus) whiched helped for a lil bit but as soon as the fluid heats up it goes right back to being tight. Could someone have put underdrive pullies on it slowing the spin of the pump at idle causing it to get stiff?? Is their another power steering pulley that would speed it up a lil bit and would that hurt the pump due to faster revolutions at higher rpm"s.. Thanks
Old 09-18-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like the begining of the end for your pwr steering pump. I have an 00 WS6, and just replaced it for the second time. The first time it went the same thing happend to me that happened to you. I would get that checked out first. Make sure that nothing is starting to leak behind the pump. If it leaks it goes right on the alternator, and you dont want that. Good luck let us know.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:49 PM
Teching In

The pump always seems to have that "wet" look but never any drops of fluid. Im gonna try and bolt on a lil smaller pulley to speed it up at idle. i hope its not going out got so much other **** to deal with. Its been like that since i bought the car bout 5 months ago
Old 09-19-2007, 11:54 AM
TECH Resident

yeah the reasoning that because its lowered its putting more pressure on the front tires as long as the rear has been lowered to its complete BS the springs are still holding up the same amount of weight

Quick Reply: Stiff Power Steering