General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

GTX handling and feel

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007 | 09:56 AM
TECH Regular

It seems like no matter what anyone says, you already have your mind made up. Do some research, buy whatever car makes you happy. And you said you wouldn't buy a "full size Cadillac", but a CTS is actually a little bit smaller than a GXP. I don't know if you just picture them in your head as being big cars but they're really not.

P.S. I think you are definitely the first person I've ever heard of that had a HUD as a mandatory requirement when buying a car...
Old 09-25-2007 | 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nicholas_Bostaph
I have a feeling I'm a little unusual in that respect. There needs to be a balance, of course, but the number one thing to me is appearance. That's how I originally decided on a Hawk, and why I'm having so much trouble finding a car now. I had a chance to look at the GTO more closely and I'm not sure I could drive it regardless of price or power. I just dislike the way it looks that much.

As for power and features, I couldn't drive a full size cadillac or anything like that just to get the gadgets, but I'd happily trade a little bit of performance for a HUD, heated seats, etc. To be honest I was really POed at Pontiac when I went to order my Hawk and these options weren't available. That's why I've ended up looking at GXPs.

Well, I took a GXP out for a spin last night. It's certainly not my Hawk but I wouldn't call it a sloppy tank. It felt relatively tight and had little body roll compared to most cars. I thought it was a relatively comfortable drive, though there weren't any twisties for me to take it through.

Wow, I should fly out to your area for the weekend to buy a car.

Here's what auto-trader is showing me in a 50 mile radius with under 30k miles:

3 '05-'06 GTOs: $25k - $27k
16 '00-'04 Vettes: $29k - $41k
3 '05-'06 GXPs: $22k - $23k

I'll probably still try test driving a GTO, and I'm familiar with the C5s from driving my mom's '97, but I think they're both going to remain a little out of my price range. Given the choice I think I'd definitely have to go with the C5, though it seems hard to find one with a HUD for some reason, even though I know it was offered as an option.

Thanks for all the advice, though, everyone. It's been very helpful and forced me to look at a few cars I hadn't even considered before. Even if I do still buy a GXP I think I'll be a lot more comfortable in my decision now.

Where are you located? Also, have you considered buying one from a member on this board? I see what your saying, but im telling you i have been in a GXP and it feels pretty quick, but there is little mod potential with it and you will miss the power of your ls1. Trust me i went from my cammed z28 to my g35x and although its supposed to be 260+ hp (flywheel) its slow as ****. Even with the awd I think my camaro handled WAY better. GXP is nice, just I think your going to miss the roar of a v8 powered sports car/muscle car, lord knows I do! If the GTO isnt an option then I would say maybe look for an 03-04 cobra, STI, or def a c5 vette.
Old 09-25-2007 | 02:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by thmass6
It seems like no matter what anyone says, you already have your mind made up. Do some research, buy whatever car makes you happy. And you said you wouldn't buy a "full size Cadillac", but a CTS is actually a little bit smaller than a GXP. I don't know if you just picture them in your head as being big cars but they're really not.
Not completely made up; I was hoping someone would come up with a car I hadn't considered that would fit me better. There were some great suggestions that I definitely considered and researched, but they just didn't look like they would work out for me. Honestly, were 2000 Vettes $5k cheaper I might go with one of them...

When I mentioned the "full size Cadillac" I didn't mean to include the CTS. I know those are nice cars (one of the few new cars I like the look of) and handle beautifully, but they're coming in closer to $30k+ in my area and I don't think I could deal with the loss of that much power.

Originally Posted by thmass6
P.S. I think you are definitely the first person I've ever heard of that had a HUD as a mandatory requirement when buying a car...
I'm a computer guy; always gotta have the coolest, highest-tech, new gadget. That's why I wanted one at first, at least. After owning my '98 GTP that had one I found it to be very practical as well. I feel much more comfortable never having to look away from the road to check my speed, like I always have to when going by known speed traps...

Where are you located? Also, have you considered buying one from a member on this board?
I live just South of Pittsburgh, PA. I didn't notice the classieds section before but will certainly check it out now. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 09-25-2007 | 03:01 PM
On The Tree

If you're a computer guy, why don't you just look into an aftermarket HUD system? there's a few out there now, and they basically plug into the OBD port on most any newer vehicle. Nothing to it really. I'm a computer guy and a car guy, best of both worlds, hah! I'm actually looking at one of the aftermarket HUD units to install in my 68 Dodge convertible, just so guys like you in your FWD's get a technological slap in the face when I go out hunting! (just kidding....mostly!)
Old 09-26-2007 | 12:51 AM
On The Tree

Please please please test drive a GTO for a nice length trip before you "settle" on a grand prix.
Old 09-27-2007 | 03:48 PM
On The Tree

please test drive a GTO for a nice length trip before you "settle" on a grand prix.
Unless you need trunk space and/or passenger space. I used to lease an 04 GTO and it was a wonderful driving car...but in my case I needed seating for 5 and trunk space. Yes the GTO rides better, but GXP gets the nod on capacity and gadgets.

I have test drove a GXP. I have an 04 GTP CompG and used to have a '98 GTP. GXP > CompG > 98 as far as handling, braking etc. GP GXP have great braking and ride. I can't say I was impressed with the GXP power though..it felt sluggish to me. Although you could always consider a newer GTP, easy to mod and most (if not all) of the GXP benefits (HUD etc.) are there...I bet an 05 GTP with HUD, Leather, Nav etc are probably in the $15k range.

You can read up on GPs on clubgp.com as well.
Old 09-27-2007 | 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you considered traveling out of your area for a vette? You can find them in the teens and low twentys's all day if your willing to travel from you area.

Also as John said, the 04 GP GTP's are great cars. I have one for a daily driver (also same color as Johns "fusion orange") I put a pully, tune, cai, and cat back on it and it really opened up. The handling is great for a car of its size, nice and tight. And the boost helps it to pull through out the rpms, I have had fun with many stock mustang gt's in it. I would suggest driving one of the gtps, they also have HUD.