General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: What would you Do?
Sell the Original Motor to finish the car
33.33%
Keep Short Block and Sell everything else on it
0%
Keep the Original Block and build it up
16.67%
Other
50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

What would you Do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What would you Do?

Hello,

This all started with a bent pushrod that was driven on a little too much (Problem occurred January 2007), So I put the the car in storage and bought hardened push rods and tried to get the car fixed (February 2007). Then the lifter where the bad push rod was, collapsed a week after we fixed the push rods (didn't find out about the lifter until last week Late sept 2007). A rocker arm also went out at the same time (car goes back into storage in March of 2007).

Mind you I am a college student and had a hard time finding a new job. So August comes rolling around, summer is over and school is starting and have started my new job. And so I pulled some student loans to fix/mod the car and I was going to be splitting a house with my best friend from H.S.

So in anticipation of everything going smoothly I bought a used motor off of a friend of mine because I figured if the lifter was bad the cam was going to be shot and so I would want to go with a bigger cam, which means new springs, (you know the story after that)

Well, my friend backed out of me in the last minute so I have this 2 bedroom house by myself to pay for and Barely making rent after purchasing few necessary parts and tools to get the car fixed)

So here is the question, I have a perfectly fine Short Block (original motor out of the car and plan to sell the heads and valve train components), And a perfectly working Long Block being prepped to install into the car. I have one exhaust manifold that needs studs completely replaced and the Exhaust system from the y-pipe back is rusting out and I need a full set of tires badly

I dont want to put the manifolds back on the car if I plan to do LTs and full exhaust while keeping emissions possibly in the spring (Second dispersement of Student Loans and possible new room mate).

What would you do in my shoes, Keep the short block sell everything else and build up a stock bottom end H/C car, Sell the short block and finish the car just in time for winter and not drive the car until spring. Sell everything to the original motor but keep the block and build up a fully forged motor possibly a stroker motor.

I need a little light on the situation.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:46 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I would take the safest, least expensive route, which would be to rebuild/repair the stock short block and leave it at that. With your current situation now is not the time to be messing with heads, cams, tuning and other 'mods which will just mess with the reliability factor anyway-you CAN'T afford that kind of nonsense right now. Also, being a starving college student who KNOWS what trouble will come around the corner, and you need to be ready for that. Oh, and don't forget that you need new tires more than anything else...
Old 10-02-2007, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by myk
I would take the safest, least expensive route, which would be to rebuild/repair the stock short block and leave it at that. With your current situation now is not the time to be messing with heads, cams, tuning and other 'mods which will just mess with the reliability factor anyway-you CAN'T afford that kind of nonsense right now. Also, being a starving college student who KNOWS what trouble will come around the corner, and you need to be ready for that. Oh, and don't forget that you need new tires more than anything else...
Yea that pretty much sums it up, and probally not a smart thing to do using student loans to mod your car either. I would just fix it and do light mods so you can still enjoy the car have it reliable and then wait til after school to start the heavy modding. Most importantly you gotta keep your priorities straight and I know it sucks but ive been in your shoes, I sold my LS1 T/A for a older LT1 so that I could pay for school. Sucks but you gotta do what you gotta do I guess
Old 10-02-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

What everyone else said. Go with what will be cheapest for you right now, keep those priorities straight. As for using the student loans, that's not actually the WORST idea. I'm not sure what your position is as far as paying off school whether you have alot of that paid for or part of your loans are going to that or what, but using students loans would be OKAY if you were planning on spending that money regardless. I would never go as far as to recommend doing that however if it's either that or run up credit cards well then obviously you're better off using a student loan since interest rates would be so much less. I know of people that used student loans for home repairs or for downpayments on houses.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

if i were u id join the 400 + cubes club