General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Okay, 7k to spend, looking for opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Okay, 7k to spend, looking for opinions

Current daily driver is a 95 Caprice SS 9c1 (LT1), extremely close to stock. I've got a 68 dodge I'm restoring in the garage, and both an ATV and an 80's chevy 1 ton dump I use (and always have to fix) for plowing. Turning wrenches on those three leaves me thinking that I really don't want to work on the daily, I just want to buy one car that's decent and works. I sought out the Caprice because i had about 7k to spend last time, and I love the car to death, so it won't get sold, it will become the next project after the Dodge and it will sit at my house in storage, away from the road salt, until that time.

With 4 years on that car and 3 other things to wrench on, (I am a mechanic and do prefer American, V8, rear drive vehicles) I think it's time for a new DD, and I damn near got my heart set on an LS1/M6 car.

I want a trans am, real bad. Want the t-tops or convert, 6 speed tranny and the v8. No matter how I cut it, that car will be more fun to drive, get better mileage, have open air and go quicker than my caprice, while ultimately costing less to achieve those things. I generally do not drive the daily car in the winter, as when they're treating the roads, I'm out there with them in my truck.

With 7k to spend, I am expecting the car to pretty much work, after some small initial "fix er up" investment, for about 3-4 years. In that time my caprice has carried me 60k miles and needed less than 400 bucks in stuff other than gas and oil changes.

My Question is, can I get roughly the same out of an F-body? Would it be stupid of me to also consider an old Corvette for that kind of money? And at this spending point, Ive seen LS1 cars, but should I forget that and try to get a nicer LT1?

I have seen multiple LT1 trans ams, that beside being an LT1, were convertible, 6 speed, and generally in great shape. I've also seen multiple t-top/LS1 trans ams, but am not sure about their reliability at this spending point, as the cars do tend to have over 100k on them. I'm not opposed to mileage (Caprice has 156k on the clock and will still roast'em like the day i brought her home) but just don't have experience with the F-bods.

I'll come back alter and try to edit the post down, sorry Im so long winded. I am just obsessed with trans ams lately and finally have a good job that can bring in the dough relatively quick. The caprice is telling me it's time for a rest, and the rest of my stuff is begging for some wrench time!
Old 10-05-2007, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're not that concerned about mileage, an LS1 for around 7K shouldn't be TOO hard to come by.

I payed over 10K for my 99 WS-6 but it only had 49K miles on it. I would think you could find a decent one for 7K with around 70-100K on the clock.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:45 AM
Launching!

I can't wait until I have $7 grand to spend, shouldn't be too much longer, then ...Procharger!
Old 10-05-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Veteran

The "WS6" Trans-Ams 98+ have the cool looking raim air hood. That's what I would try to get, but not at that price. Maybe $9-$10K.

The difference in power between an LT1 and a LS1 is not slight. The LS1 is just as reliable as the LT1. More so considering it doesn't have an Opti Spark. I had my LT1 for 120,000 and no major problems (save for two Optis), and my LS1 has just about as many miles. Have had trouble with the slave cylinder, though. Have to make sure to keep them bled and fluid clean if you're going to race real hard.

However, you're going to be hard pressed to find a good LS1 F-Body for less than ~$9K. Sure, they're around, but you need to go over them and make sure you're getting a good car. Check out the for sale section on this site.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

I've poked at this site, as well as a few others, autotrader and the like. Local want ads too. Just went to look at once tonight, beautiful car but the guy was asking 18k. I saw it on the side of the road. I'd love ram air but really, I don't care. If I had the ar long enough to make it a project in a few years, I'd get a turbo kit anyhow, making the ram air hood useless anyway. I'd wind up changing the rims too as well. Don't get me wrong though, I'd love WS6, but my biggest concerns are the ls1/m6/t-tops. Rims, scoops, colors, interior, etc all come secondary to me.

The ones i'm finding on autotrader look alright, two dealers have them within driving distance to me and one is 8k the other is 9k.

When I say 7k to spend, I mean more that I'm aiming to spend about 7k. that's what i paid for my cruiser and it has been dead reliable. I don't actually have that much quiiiite yet, but I'm getting there. I'd just rather pull the trigger on the purchase before winter is over, rather not try to buy during fever season!
Old 10-05-2007, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

My SS had 160k on it, cammed full bolt ons etc., and never gave me a lick of trouble. Oil changes and gas is all I put in her.