General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Looking at a 98 TA with 90k, What should I look for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 04:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car went into first just fine everytime, just a couple times it was tough to get it into reverse. The salesman said he drove it this morning and it was the strongest running T/A he's had in a while. He said he encountered the reverse problem and attributes this to shifter linkange adjustment from the short throw shifter.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

keep looking i would say the dealer is trying to get you to buy it for over value of the car with issues. they are more out there that are real ws6 cars for the same money just my two cents worth
Old 10-14-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Junkie

shifter linkage adjustment? hmm...i never adjusted any of my 'shifter linkage'

you can buy my car, for alot less and comes with some extra parts
Old 10-14-2007, 06:22 PM

My posts are going to seem repetative, so bear with me.

Forget what they are saying about it being the strongest Trans AM, and three people are going to buy it on Monday if you don't. While there may be some truth to their statements half of it is just sales talk. And obviously its working.

Now that you have found out that its going to be a lot more than you expected I'd say just wait and save. Being car poor sucks.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Launching!

I ran the numbers and my dad is gonna let me put the car under his policy, so insurance should'nt be as bad as I expected. I don't really have any expenses right now so I crunched the numbers and it looks like it may work. I'm still gonna try to widdle the guy down a little, but sales bs aside, I don't think I want to pass this one up.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98silvertacrbn
30 psi and higher would be a good sign of a tight motor and good oil pump. 22 psi at a hot idle would be a little low but i have seen motors go on as little as 10 psi not good
I would say that depends on the motor. LT1 have notorious low oil pressure. I had a 94 that ran at 5 to 10 PSI at idle for lots of years.
That would be low for an LS1 though.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:15 PM
Launching!

make sure you check out the hood and make sure it fits flush very well. And the reverse thing is not an easy fix even with a different shifter it shouldn't have a problem. Tell him to fix that and everything else. FYI my 1999 t/a real ws6 with 46k was only 14500. ANd i drove from ohio to florida to get it and drove it all the way back to ohio
Old 10-14-2007, 09:21 PM
Teching In

if he is not helping you out with the price, and it sounds like you really want a ws6. i would wait!! but thats me, i will hold out till it feels right. thats why ive been waiting for 4 years!! lol but me im holding out for a real ws6 at a good price just me!! good luck
Old 10-14-2007, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Local Club

Let me recommend that you join your local club. I found AZFBA in the Regional section. Here is their site: http://www.azfba.com
Jump on there, someone may know this car, and there may be someone thinking of selling what you want. It sounds like the dealer was trying to pass a clone off as a true WS6, and while you are interested in the look, this seller either doesn't know the car as well as he indicated, or he is dishonest. Either way, alarms are going off. A third party mechanic can be a wallet saver; your local club members will gladly recommend one.
You posted on LS1Tech looking for experience opinion, and in most replies, you are getting warned. Deals come and go. I got my 98 TA M6 (not an WS6) in 2000 for $17K with 42K mi. That was an OK deal then, seven years later, I wouldn't feel good paying more than $8-9K. '98's are the least valued late 4th gens, all the years look alike, but there are several changes in the '99-02's. I love mine, but for $11K, I'd find a real WS6 (over 29,000 were built, a good % were black), even if I had to travel a state or two to get it. I'd have to believe you can find what you want somewhere in TX.
Just put out the word on local club forums that you WTB a late 4th gen Black WS6, so many were made that someone is looking to move one for sure. You may not be seeing them on lots or in the paper, but they are likely selling within the local clubs, at least they are in my area.
Everyone here wants you to have the best experience possible.

Last edited by Raleigh TA; 10-14-2007 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

pretty good advice. honestly man, look here. some of the best cared for cars are found on this site. you may find a better deal than you thought too. i wouldnt pay 11k for a 98 car with 90k miles on it. more like 9 at best.

go to a bank or credit union and see how much they will finance you for and go from there.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Raleigh TA
Let me recommend that you join your local club. I found AZFBA in the Regional section. Here is their site: http://www.azfba.com
Jump on there, someone may know this car, and there may be someone thinking of selling what you want. It sounds like the dealer was trying to pass a clone off as a true WS6, and while you are interested in the look, this seller either doesn't know the car as well as he indicated, or he is dishonest. Either way, alarms are going off. A third party mechanic can be a wallet saver; your local club members will gladly recommend one.
You posted on LS1Tech looking for experience opinion, and in most replies, you are getting warned. Deals come and go. I got my 98 TA M6 (not an WS6) in 2000 for $17K with 42K mi. That was an OK deal then, seven years later, I wouldn't feel good paying more than $8-9K. '98's are the least valued late 4th gens, all the years look alike, but there are several changes in the '99-02's. I love mine, but for $11K, I'd find a real WS6 (over 29,000 were built, a good % were black), even if I had to travel a state or two to get it. I'd have to believe you can find what you want somewhere in TX.
Just put out the word on local club forums that you WTB a late 4th gen Black WS6, so many were made that someone is looking to move one for sure. You may not be seeing them on lots or in the paper, but they are likely selling within the local clubs, at least they are in my area.
Everyone here wants you to have the best experience possible.
Originally Posted by Sunset'01Z
pretty good advice. honestly man, look here. some of the best cared for cars are found on this site. you may find a better deal than you thought too. i wouldnt pay 11k for a 98 car with 90k miles on it. more like 9 at best.

go to a bank or credit union and see how much they will finance you for and go from there.

You're not going to get any better advice than that. If none of whats been said has helped you make up your mind than nothing will.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:21 PM
Launching!

another FYI My dad got his 99 SS with 79k for $8500
Old 10-15-2007, 06:25 PM
Launching!

Going with my uncle to check the car out again tonight. I'm 95% positive I'm gonna bail on the deal. The whole calling it a ws6 thing when its a clone bugs me. The ONLY way I will continue with this is if he drops the price a grand plus. I've realized it's smarter to continue waiting, save my money and get exactly what I want not from a stealership (I really wanted ebony interior, dont really like the grey so that obviously means an 00-02 car). If there's one thing I learned from this experience, is that the LS1 T/A WILL be my next car, I fell in love.

Thanks LS1tech for all your help!
Old 10-15-2007, 06:32 PM
Launching!

never a bad decision to wait for exactly what you want. You will find one. But dont pass it up if he comes down and its what you want. Sometimes settling is not a bad thing. I wanted a 2000 and up t/a but ended up with the 99 and could not be happier.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:59 PM
Launching!

I completely agree, I loved this car. The main factor to me is that I KNOW I can get a better deal on a black WS6 M6 with 90k than $11,900. The other fact is, the dealer is selling the vehicle as a ram air trans am (not ws6 specifically, even though it has the badge which is really sketchy and kind of lame). Theyre marking the car up because of the hood and badge essentially and they know what they're doing because some stupid guy that didn't do his research is gonna see the hood and the badge and buy it as a WS6. The problem is, when it comes time to sell, you've got yourself a clone and not a true WS6 (with the wheels and suspension) which could be a lot less valuable to someone. Like I said earlier, the only way this is gonna happen is if he comes down in price about a grand or more.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:23 PM
Launching!

sounds like you know what your doing, and i agree there is better deals for 11900 but if you wanted a ws6 lookalike i dont really see a problem with it i would have made it one if i got a regular t/a. but definitely agree he needs to come down. so that the final price is 10500 or less.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:48 PM
Launching!

That's exactly the page I'm on. If I bought a base T/A it would get the hood anyways. The problem is it simply the car isnt worth what he's asking. It's a really nice car, just overpriced.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bluestrat
That's exactly the page I'm on. If I bought a base T/A it would get the hood anyways. The problem is it simply the car isnt worth what he's asking. It's a really nice car, just overpriced.
couldn't have said it better, you will find the right one I know what you mean by its the first you found in your price range and everything in a long time i did the exact same thing for a year before i got mine.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$8000 here for m6 1998 with 76k Miles I believe..don't rem. Id try to get him down to at least in the 9s 8-9ish if he wont budge just wait..they'll go down in price man and besides winter is coming what are you gonna need the car for now anyways you got next year to look yet as well. I say if you cant get it down then wait till next year when you have more cash and go searching then. Might find something cheaper

Quick Reply: Looking at a 98 TA with 90k, What should I look for?