General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

ss with only 1065 miles..for sale

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 09:11 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by 560SL
Oh well, they're just now fetching about the original sticker price.
Low mileage '86-'87 Grand Nationals are going up in price every year. And they built just about as many of those as LS1 Camaro SSs.

You just never know what cars will retain/gain vaule, until it has already happened.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Low mileage '86-'87 Grand Nationals are going up in price every year. And they built just about as many of those as LS1 Camaro SSs.

You just never know what cars will retain/gain vaule, until it has already happened.
Check the bid price on this thing... I know its a gnX but its clean and it has 21k+ miles on it. Im sure that that SS will be worth a shitload in the coming years

Grand National

Last edited by BaddillaK; 11-02-2007 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

Forget 20 years. I'm talking 35-40 years. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. But I guess we won't know till the '40s (2040s ). Tell ya what, in about 30 more years or so, we'll bring this post back up and settle the arguement once and for all!
I think you're right. They produced about the same number of Camaros in 1967 alone as they did from 1998 thru 2002 and now they are worth some money. I'm sure they will appreciate in thirty or forty years. I personally don't believe in owning a car as nice as ours and not driving it, I couldn't do it, props for those who can. Now, if a person can afford two of the same vehicles, I don't see a problem with having a garage queen. You were probably joking, but it would be pretty cool if this post was brought back in thirty years.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 267 Likes on 101 Posts

I don't know.....I have looked at these for awhile now (2 years or so). I bought a 2000 SS for 18K with 2750 miles on it 1 1/2 years ago. I look now, such as cars mentioned in this thread, and think I may have paid a little too much. In fact, I tried selling it for 20K 3 months after I had it because I realized the differences betwen the 2000 and 2002 and wanted to see if could find someeone. I had a couple of bites and got cold feet. Although, there was not a tremendous amount of interest.

I looked for quite a while for the options I wanted, somewhat unique. Pewter exterior with tan (saddle) interior, A4, and NO T-TOPS, but an SS! I wanted something unmolested - a virgin! I found it and snagged it up.

This auction for the Red 2002 ended for 19,600 which kind of lets you know what people are willing to pay. This car was the more popular color choice (Red) and had T-Tops and the 6-speed which is what most want, so who knows what they are worth. It is like it always has been, the car is worth what someone is willing to pay!

If you are looking at an investment or to make money on the deal then that is something entirely different.

As far as being worth much more in 30 years, sure it would be. It will be a piece of history such as any old musclecar from the 60's and 70's. When we are all driving electric powered cars because we can't buy gasoline it would probably just be a mueseme piece anyway. All of the plastic and stick on emblems differ quite a bit from what the 'real' musclecars were, but let's face it there will some Gen X well-to-do that wanted one now and couldn't afford until he came into his wealth (later in life) and he will be the one to pay 3 times the cost of the car NEW in 30-40 years, just like now with cars that roll through Barret J.

The reality of it is these cars are NOT really quality built, not like a 70 Chevelle or anything. They are quite cheap really, although Camaro's always have been. I guess we will just have to wait and see.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

there is a kid by me that cant be over 19 and he just got a special edition ss with under 2000 miles...
Old 11-03-2007, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

and i thought my car had low miles when i bought it with 49948...
Old 11-04-2007, 07:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

they relisted it again, and the bidding is higher this time than last. its up to 20k already with 5 days left til the end of auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 11-04-2007, 10:35 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Cruz28
Now, if a person can afford two of the same vehicles, I don't see a problem with having a garage queen.
That is exactly my current setup.

My '98 car is a 14k mile garage queen that is perfect and only driven to car shows. My '02 car is a 73k mile regular driver. Best of both worlds.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 11-04-2007 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:39 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by helicoil
The reality of it is these cars are NOT really quality built, not like a 70 Chevelle or anything.
I'd say quite the opposite. These (4th gen) cars will likely outlast anything built in the '70s. The plastic will not rust, and the mechanicals of an LS1 car will certainly last every bit as long as the original drivetrain of a '70s muscle car assuming you keep it well maintained.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 560SL
Oh well, they're just now fetching about the original sticker price.
Lets say they have a $20,000 sticker, factor in 3% inflation per year, 20,000 x 1.03^14 = $30251.79. Meaning that $30,251.79 today is equal to $20,000 14 years ago. So if somebody is paying $20,000 for a 14 year old 93 Cobra today, if we were to go back in time, they are actually paying $30,251.79, or $10,251.79 OVER the sticker price. Not exactly as pathetic as you are trying to make it out to be.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THIS is a collector car.

Never titled. 9 miles. Sits in a climate controlled warehouse. They move it with jacks so it won't turn 10 miles. This is the ONLY one of it's kind. Yes.. it's GNX #359..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 11-04-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn talk about a garage queen.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:40 PM
9 Second Club

I'd say quite the opposite. These (4th gen) cars will likely outlast anything built in the '70s. The plastic will not rust, and the mechanicals of an LS1 car will certainly last every bit as long as the original drivetrain of a '70s muscle car assuming you keep it well maintained.
Not likely, 4L60E and 10 bolt vs. a 12 bolt and 400 turbo, maybe if you never plan to turn the tires. My 2800 mile 10 bolt leaks profusely already at the pinion seal. IMO, the only thing going for an F-body is the LS engine and body lines. I am not knocking either being I own both examples plus several other muscle cars and this plastic Camaro is nothing special. Just cheap leather and decals and lots of glass filled nylon, the technical term for plastic

Technology is one thing.....the reason I own of these. But there is no comparison from one car to the next. Steel panels and chrome with real 'SS' options separate the two just like apples and oranges.

You and I both will NEVER see a day in our lifetime when a 2002 SS Camaro is worth what my 70 Chevelle SS LS6 car is, low mileage or not!
Old 11-10-2007, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not likely, 4L60E and 10 bolt vs. a 12 bolt and 400 turbo, maybe if you never plan to turn the tires. My 2800 mile 10 bolt leaks profusely already at the pinion seal. IMO, the only thing going for an F-body is the LS engine and body lines. I am not knocking either being I own both examples plus several other muscle cars and this plastic Camaro is nothing special. Just cheap leather and decals and lots of glass filled nylon, the technical term for plastic

Technology is one thing.....the reason I own of these. But there is no comparison from one car to the next. Steel panels and chrome with real 'SS' options separate the two just like apples and oranges.

You and I both will NEVER see a day in our lifetime when a 2002 SS Camaro is worth what my 70 Chevelle SS LS6 car is, low mileage or not!
Give it 30 years when all these cars have been wrecked and destroyed. People like me(I'm 23) will be in their 50's, lots of $$$ to buy that old car they had when they were young.

As for the Chevelle being better built, give me a break. Drive it through a few winters and it'll rust all to hell, drum brakes, sloppy steering, misaligned doors and trim, crappy factory paint, vinyl seats that split at the seams, vinyl top that traps water and rusts the roof. All of these are great features straight from the factory.

Also, define "real" SS options, cause you could get a six cylinder SS back then.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it may only have 9 miles, but them brake calipers on the front are rusty and dusty as a grandmothers ****.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:00 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by AronZ28
Give it 30 years when all these cars have been wrecked and destroyed. People like me(I'm 23) will be in their 50's, lots of $$$ to buy that old car they had when they were young.

As for the Chevelle being better built, give me a break. Drive it through a few winters and it'll rust all to hell, drum brakes, sloppy steering, misaligned doors and trim, crappy factory paint, vinyl seats that split at the seams, vinyl top that traps water and rusts the roof. All of these are great features straight from the factory.

Also, define "real" SS options, cause you could get a six cylinder SS back then.
Your 23 junior, you have no idea what you are talking about. I don't need to go any further.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:14 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

I like old cars, but the truth is, 4th gen F-bodies are built better than anything from the '70s. It's just a matter of fact that modern cars will last longer and run more reliably than their older counterparts. I've owned old muscle as well, and I remeber the constant carb adjustments and ignition system maintenance. Not to mention all the other "older style" stuff that wasn't built as well; like radiators and gaskets, and inferior brake and suspension systems. And electronic fuel injection is just so much better for a street car than any type of carb.

I don't see some seepage from the 10-bolt as an issue IMO. As for the 4L60E, sure it's not as strong as a TH400, but things like an OD and lock-up TC sure do help gas mileage for a street car. Overall, the 4L60E is a great street transmission, and will take decent abuse in stock form from a stock-to-bolt on LS1, but you need to beef it up for regular track use and/or big power increases.

Not really sure why it matters if the body panels are metal or plastic. Plastic will last longer and is lighter. Metal might be safer in an accident, but overall a modern car is MUCH safer due to air bags and better seat belts anyway. As for cheap interior, your Chevelle has a cheap interior compared to a '70 Cadillac, so for it's day it was no different than a modern Camaro vs a modern luxury car. As for old vs new interior comparison, ergonomics on a newer car are far superior to anything built 35 years ago.

IMO, the only thing that makes older muscle cars special now is that they're old and not many nice ones are left. On the other hand, you are right that new Camaros won't be worth as much as a classic Chevelle when they are the same age, because the new Camaros are built of materials that will last far longer, thus leaving more of them on the road and making them less rare.

Also, the lack of rare engine options (such as yours) in newer cars create less opportunities for something to be "special".

Last edited by RPM WS6; 11-11-2007 at 12:22 AM.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:36 AM

Your 23 junior, you have no idea what you are talking about. I don't need to go any further.
I think you have a more emotional attachment to the Chevelle than the Camaro. As such, you accept it's nuances and prefer the feeling that this car embodies. It's like a memory, over time that memory gets fuzzier, but the emotion associated with it grows. Having owned a 70 Chevelle SS, I respectfully disagree with your assessed superiority over the 4th gen. f-body. I too enjoyed my Chevelle, but it had many shortcomings. The car did not handle well, was speed limited by the gearing, did not stop well by todays standards, was not a car I could guarantee would start when I needed it too, among many others. The thing I remember most about the car was it's attitude, the swagger it had. In my opinion, the 4th gens. have every bit as much attitude. They too have their quirks, but they handle, brake, accelerate, and look wicked! Not only that, but our cars are in many ways similar to classic GM iron.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Or you could refute what I said "old man" instead of posting that lameness.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:05 PM
9 Second Club

I like old cars, but the truth is, 4th gen F-bodies are built better than anything from the '70s. It's just a matter of fact that modern cars will last longer and run more reliably than their older counterparts. I've owned old muscle as well, and I remeber the constant carb adjustments and ignition system maintenance. Not to mention all the other "older style" stuff that wasn't built as well; like radiators and gaskets, and inferior brake and suspension systems. And electronic fuel injection is just so much better for a street car than any type of carb.

I don't see some seepage from the 10-bolt as an issue IMO. As for the 4L60E, sure it's not as strong as a TH400, but things like an OD and lock-up TC sure do help gas mileage for a street car. Overall, the 4L60E is a great street transmission, and will take decent abuse in stock form from a stock-to-bolt on LS1, but you need to beef it up for regular track use and/or big power increases.

Not really sure why it matters if the body panels are metal or plastic. Plastic will last longer and is lighter. Metal might be safer in an accident, but overall a modern car is MUCH safer due to air bags and better seat belts anyway. As for cheap interior, your Chevelle has a cheap interior compared to a '70 Cadillac, so for it's day it was no different than a modern Camaro vs a modern luxury car. As for old vs new interior comparison, ergonomics on a newer car are far superior to anything built 35 years ago.

IMO, the only thing that makes older muscle cars special now is that they're old and not many nice ones are left. On the other hand, you are right that new Camaros won't be worth as much as a classic Chevelle when they are the same age, because the new Camaros are built of materials that will last far longer, thus leaving more of them on the road and making them less rare.

Also, the lack of rare engine options (such as yours) in newer cars create less opportunities for something to be "special".
All good points, and some I agree with. I don't want my point to be clouded though - Technology isn't worth money and probably won't be in 30 years either because it will be old technology then.

It is only to be expected the car will perform and feel all together different from a car prodcued in the 60's or 70's, which stands to reason why a car produced in 2037 will do all of the same things you mentioned.

Overall 'net worth' also depends on shear production numbers. There is whole lot of 98-02 F-bodys out there. Sort of like belly-buttons right now, just different colors with different 'plastic' options. Plastic doesn't last forever either. I am not a Gen III/IV hater either, I own one and like driving it (hate working on it), but like driving it.

Bottom line - A Car is and will be worth what someone is willing to pay for it, now or then.

Last edited by helicoil; 11-14-2007 at 01:27 PM.