General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Interesting Read about SuperTech Oil..aka "WalMart Oil"

Old 11-06-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Michelin makes BF Goodrich, BP Oils makes Castrol, yada yada yada

I'll stick w/ my Shell Rotella
Old 11-07-2007, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This article is yet another example of how oil brands don't matter as much as we think. The API rating is all that really matters, and the rest is marketing, corporate deals, and flashy commercials that feed on the ignorance of the general public. The bottom line: buy an oil that meets the API standards and change it at regular intervals. The rest is just hype.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:24 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SHINER
also heard "the Supertech filters at Walmart are made by Champion, who also makes the Mobil 1 filters."...pretty good research so far.
Well just because Champion manufactures the filters doesn't necessarily mean they are both manufactured using the same components..? right? Might the Mobil filters use a better "filtering" filter than the cheaper Supertechs? It's possible..

Last edited by 6THZ28; 11-07-2007 at 12:49 AM.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Just to add:
I used to use GC because mobile 1 burned and you could smell it @ wot.
Now I use the walmart supertech and no problems whatsoever.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

wow very interesting...might have to give super tech a shot...
Old 11-08-2007, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 600 or so miles left before the next swap so I think I'll pick up a case of supertech and give her a shot.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:43 AM
TECH Resident

this weird, i have a friend who works in walmart in the tire and lube and he said to NOT get supertech, that it's actually recycled oil that's already been used and put through some sort of filter. He said not to tell anyone. LoL.....
Old 11-08-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

^^^^^^^ See this is the thing right here.. I don't know what would make you guys just suddenly change your engine oil? Are you kidding me? I've run Mobil 1 - whether you like it or not - in ALL of my Z28's and I've never EVER had an issue with my motor using it. I stick by it as it's been nothing but great for me. Changing your oil on a whim to some cheap **** is just ludacris to me... Just to save a couple bucks? Not a good idea to me but let me know how it works out for you guys in the LONG TERM. Surely that cheap **** will leave more residue and sludge and will probably burn up at a lower temp but who knows!? I'm not convinced and I'm definitely not changing.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pro52R
Michelin makes BF Goodrich, BP Oils makes Castrol, yada yada yada

I'll stick w/ my Shell Rotella

Um Bp oils doesn't make Castrol. Bp is Castrol, Amoco, Arco, Aral, and Sohio.

Also just because someone makes the oil for someone else dosen't mean it is the same oil.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Toxic Texan
Also just because someone makes the oil for someone else dosen't mean it is the same oil.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

Is there any truth to the supertech being a "recycled" oil? Thats just what my bud at walmart says..
Old 11-08-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by slikrider20
Is there any truth to the supertech being a "recycled" oil? Thats just what my bud at walmart says..
email em and let us know
Old 11-08-2007, 07:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by slikrider20
I know for a fact many big company shops like Goodyear, for example, use recyled oil. My brother worked there for 7 years and says most shops do so.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:25 PM
TECH Resident

i did an oil change with the super tech full synthetic yesterday. I sea foamed at the same time too, so it'll be coming out sunday. We'll see how it looks I guess...
Old 11-08-2007, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Interesting thread...........Recycled oil must have a disclaimer saying that it has been recycled. There are only a handful of major oil manufacturers under a plethora of different brand names. API standards must be met and all major oil companies are now ISO 9001 certified. "off brands" such as Supertech are simply relabeled (not recycled or rebottled) oil from the large petrochemical companies contracted out to the lowest bidder using the same specs as the major brands. It would be cost prohibitive for oil manufacturers to change process variables often during the manufacturing process You will never see a "Supertech refinery" or "Brand X" lube plant either. Wal-Mart is a huge corporation and leverages large quantities of products at lower prices marketed under their brand names, whether it is oils or pharmaceudicals (sp), TV's etc, etc. It is just good business. Do your own research if you want the details, but this is my experience as an 18 year ExxonMobil employee.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PhantomR/T
i did an oil change with the super tech full synthetic yesterday. I sea foamed at the same time too, so it'll be coming out sunday. We'll see how it looks I guess...
I'd go the 3k miles and see what happens. Surely one cycle isn't going to do any damage. Consider what Snake Hunter says below.. Seems like he knows what he's talking about

Originally Posted by snake hunter
Interesting thread...........Recycled oil must have a disclaimer saying that it has been recycled. There are only a handful of major oil manufacturers under a plethora of different brand names. API standards must be met and all major oil companies are now ISO 9001 certified. "off brands" such as Supertech are simply relabeled (not recycled or rebottled) oil from the large petrochemical companies contracted out to the lowest bidder using the same specs as the major brands. It would be cost prohibitive for oil manufacturers to change process variables often during the manufacturing process You will never see a "Supertech refinery" or "Brand X" lube plant either. Wal-Mart is a huge corporation and leverages large quantities of products at lower prices marketed under their brand names, whether it is oils or pharmaceudicals (sp), TV's etc, etc. It is just good business. Do your own research if you want the details, but this is my experience as an 18 year ExxonMobil employee.
First of all, you're very well spoken for an 18yo. Second, is there any way to identify exactly what "major" brand of synthetic oil the Supertech or other Brand X is? For example, the supertech could potentially be ANY synthetic oil... any way to determine which major oil it is?

Last edited by 6THZ28; 11-08-2007 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

6thZ28, thanks, but you are way too kind!!!!! I have been working for EM for 18 years...Although I still feel like I'm 18 (sometimes!!).
To answer your question, you really have to look at the MSDS (Manufacturer Safety Data Sheet) to see the details of the manufacturing plant. They must be made available when you contact the brand label info which should be located on the label of the product, or a quick way is to contact the poison control center. (They have ready access to MSDS sheets). Hope this helps....
Old 11-08-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by snake hunter
6thZ28, thanks, but you are way too kind!!!!! I have been working for EM for 18 years...Although I still feel like I'm 18 (sometimes!!).
To answer your question, you really have to look at the MSDS (Manufacturer Safety Data Sheet) to see the details of the manufacturing plant. They must be made available when you contact the brand label info which should be located on the label of the product, or a quick way is to contact the poison control center. (They have ready access to MSDS sheets). Hope this helps....
I totally misread it the first time ... well that explains a lot, haha.. thanks for the info! I'm gonna do a lil research and see what I can come up with.

PHANTOM R/T - Can you check the label for anything pertinent?
Old 11-08-2007, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

No problem 6TH, you made my day!!! Here are a few (the major players actually); (from the Lexus owners' forum). BTW, I love my F-body!!! I'm on my fourth........never enough

Advanced Lubrication Specialties, Inc:

Advantage
Advantage 5000
Getty (some?)
Lukoil (some?)
CRL
L&D Superior
Sunoco

Amalie:

Acme Ultraguard
Amalie
American Eagle Super Duty
American XT Premium
Crown Super Turbo
Elixir
Federated
Flash Foods
Foodtown
Guard Heavy Duty
“Heavy Duty”
Imperial
Millennium
Pro High Performance Choice
Pronto Supreme
Rallye
RPX Turbo Blend
Shop Rite Premium
Sprint 500 Premium
Super Turbo Xcel
U.S. Lubricants Super Heavy Duty
Value Tech
VIP
Xcel
XLO

Ashland:

Kubota Tractor Oils
Napa
Valvoline
BP/Castrol

Arco:

Powertech Super
Drydene

Assuron

Chevron/Texaco[list](all products seem to carry the Chevron or Texaco logos...so there is no confusion here as to what they make)

CHS Inc:

Auto Gold
Maxtron
Super 12m
Superlube
Superol
Viking

Citgo:

Mystic

Conoco-Phillips:

CircleK
Kendall
Motorcraft
Union 76
Phillips 66

Cross Oil Refining:

Gard
Gardfleet
Pure-Flo
Xtreme

David Weber Oil Co.:

Gibraltar
Powerflo

ExxonMobil:

SuperTech (Walmart; some)
ESSO
CAT Diesel (EM Mexico)
Lubricante Carrefour (EM Mexico)
Mopar (EM Mexico; some)
Motorcraft (EM Mexico; some)
Toyota Genuine(EM Mexico)
Nissan (EM Mexico)
Tech 2000 (EM Mexico)

FL Viscosity Oil Co.:

Case Tractor/Ag
New Holland Tractor/Ag

McCollister & Co.:

Archer
Motorlast
United
United/Hyde

Omni Specialty Packaging, Inc.:
(may not be the actual refiner)

Dutch
Excell
Nuvo
O’Reillys
Parts Master
Pure Guard

Pinnacle Oil Co.:

Admiral
Allfleet
Allsup’s
Casey’s
Certified
Cogo’s
Duke
Favorite Markets
Fire Star
Fleet Pro
Gas America
Gas City
Kum & Go
Love’s
National
On Your Way
Sheetz
Steel City
Thorton’s
True North

[b]Safety Kleen (including Canada):

America’s Choice
Autoprix
Canada’s Choice
Checkered Flag
Classic
Fast Trac
Finish Line
Formula A
Moto Prix
Performance Plus
Premium I
Safety-Kleen

Sinclair Oil Co.:

Arctic Fire
Dura Tec
Sinclair Supreme

SOPUS (Shell)[list][*]Quaker State[*]Pennzoil[*]Wolf’s Head

J.D. Streett & Co.:

Streett

STP

Unilab

Warren Oil/Coastal/Unilube[list][*]4 Brothers[*]Advance Auto[*]All Star Express[*]Allstar[*]American XT[*]Appco[*]Bradley Plus[*]Carolina Petro[*]Coastal[*]Do-It-Best[*]Duplex[*]Enmark[*]Express[*]Fill-Ups[*]Fred's[*]Gas N Go[*]Genuine[*]Halco[*]Handy Way[*]Itasca Outdoors[*]Jr Food[*]Kohler[*]Krasdale[*]Lubriguard[*]Performance Engineered[*]Price Wise[*]Quality Plus[*]Quality Supreme[*]Red Apple[*]Savers Choice[*]Savings Plus[*]Saxon[*]Saxon Gold[*]Sentry[*]Service Pro[*]Shurtech[*]Trac[*]Valucraft (Autozone)[*]Warren

Warren Performance Products (WPP):

Accel
Kum & Go Super Premium
Mag 1
Oasis Market
Pilot Premium
ProLine (Pep Boys)
Spectrum Plus (Sears)
Supertech (Walmart; some)
Traveller (Tractor Supply)

Last edited by snake hunter; 11-08-2007 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Regular

Hmm.. So according to this sheet - Supertech is probably either, WPP oil or ExxonMobil? I'm a little confused that I don't see Mobil 1 listed under ExxonMobil... I'm sure there's a reason. Well if there's a good chance Supertech is Mobil 1 - I'm gonna buy it instead and save oodles of $.. Did I read the sheet right?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interesting Read about SuperTech Oil..aka "WalMart Oil"