General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Interesting Read about SuperTech Oil..aka "WalMart Oil"

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 06:17 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Travis...isn't it unlawful to use Wal-Mart oil in a Range Rover?

That is pretty interesting news about the oil. I'm a Mobil 5000 user when I can find it for my truck, so having the Wal-Mart brand to fall back on is nice.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6th, yes Supertech is to my knowledge either ExxonMobil or WPP, depending on location. I'm not sure of the logistics, so I don't know where the geographical line is between the two. Also, Mobil 1 is not listed under the EM products. Was listing different brand names that are produced by each major company that didn't have their name on it. I'm sure the list is not totally inclusive, so if someone has some info to add here, please do so.

Personnally, I have always used Mobil 1 in my LS1 cars, but I know folks who use Supertech also with great success.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The point here is not who makes the oil. All that matters is that the oil meets the appropriate API standards. That is what you should be comparing to.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:09 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
The point here is not who makes the oil. All that matters is that the oil meets the appropriate API standards. That is what you should be comparing to.
I agree.. I just don't like switching motor oil for no reason as I'm loyal to Mobil 1 so I was wondering IF Supertech can potentially be Mobil 1 in a different bottle.. I feel like my car is "used to it" and it seems to love it
Old 11-09-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 6THZ28
I agree.. I just don't like switching motor oil for no reason as I'm loyal to Mobil 1 so I was wondering IF Supertech can potentially be Mobil 1 in a different bottle.. I feel like my car is "used to it" and it seems to love it
+1,If it is M1 that would be nice to fall back on.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Resident

I totally misread it the first time ... well that explains a lot, haha.. thanks for the info! I'm gonna do a lil research and see what I can come up with.

PHANTOM R/T - Can you check the label for anything pertinent?
since I'm lazy I still have the bottle at my place. What pertinant info should I look for? should I take pics of the label and stuff?
Old 11-11-2007, 08:41 AM

Still no proof, just speculation. I would use it in a beater, but not a new car or My SS.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PhantomR/T
since I'm lazy I still have the bottle at my place. What pertinant info should I look for? should I take pics of the label and stuff?
Yeah just take a pic of the label.. I'd look for a plant # or any other numbers that don't mean anything to the general consumer
Old 11-11-2007, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

5 quart reg mineral oil 6.88..........5 quart syn blend 10.88............5 quart full syn 13.88.....not too bad, i figured that out years ago.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Travis...isn't it unlawful to use Wal-Mart oil in a Range Rover?

That is pretty interesting news about the oil. I'm a Mobil 5000 user when I can find it for my truck, so having the Wal-Mart brand to fall back on is nice.
dont worry! Im putting the Full Synthetic Supertech in

ALSO I dont know if you read this earlier guys but Supertech filters are supposed to be good filters aswell. The filters are made by Champion wh also makes Mobil1 oil filter....but I have no proof of that.

This Is going to be great im gonna get a full synthetic oil change and filter for like 18 bucks...sweet.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SHINER
dont worry! Im putting the Full Synthetic Supertech in

ALSO I dont know if you read this earlier guys but Supertech filters are supposed to be good filters aswell. The filters are made by Champion wh also makes Mobil1 oil filter....but I have no proof of that.

This Is going to be great im gonna get a full synthetic oil change and filter for like 18 bucks...sweet.
well i just picked up conventional supertech + filter for my DD.. pretty sure that's not gonna make a **** but I'm really curious to find out how you guys like the supertech synth & filter!!!!!! Please keep us informed!!!!

BTW - I spent $10.10 for 4 qts + filter - conventional
Old 11-11-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

only thing i ever heard was once you go to syn you cant go back, something about the detergent properties of it. they say if you start with mineral oil, it will clog aroung leaking seals stopping them from leaking, then when you switch to syn it breaks down the clogs therefor creating leaks. anyone ever heard that?
Old 11-11-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
only thing i ever heard was once you go to syn you cant go back, something about the detergent properties of it. they say if you start with mineral oil, it will clog aroung leaking seals stopping them from leaking, then when you switch to syn it breaks down the clogs therefor creating leaks. anyone ever heard that?

yes i have heard that, but i have also heard if ur going to switch do it very slowly like a blend then a conventional.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:02 PM
12 Second Club

For mu money I would rather pay the top dollar for the GC. Havn't had problem, don't see any in the future. The main reason though is I absolutly hate Wal Mart and often dream about the couple in my town burning to the ground. So I just don't support them in anyway.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ShortChevy
For mu money I would rather pay the top dollar for the GC. Havn't had problem, don't see any in the future. The main reason though is I absolutly hate Wal Mart and often dream about the couple in my town burning to the ground. So I just don't support them in anyway.
hey i support that idea, have you heard the new slogan.....something like...lower prices, live better.....bs, they are completely dominating every market they go to, and for the uneducated, they are the biggest company in the world, and growing every year. they are gonna be to the point where we cant stop them one day........
Old 11-13-2007, 01:39 AM
TECH Regular

Well just because Champion manufactures the filters doesn't necessarily mean they are both manufactured using the same components..? right? Might the Mobil filters use a better "filtering" filter than the cheaper Supertechs? It's possible..
x2
Originally Posted by Toxic Texan
Um Bp oils doesn't make Castrol. Bp is Castrol, Amoco, Arco, Aral, and Sohio.

Also just because someone makes the oil for someone else dosen't mean it is the same oil.
x2
Old 11-13-2007, 02:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
hey i support that idea, have you heard the new slogan.....something like...lower prices, live better.....bs, they are completely dominating every market they go to, and for the uneducated, they are the biggest company in the world, and growing every year. they are gonna be to the point where we cant stop them one day........
Who says you can now ?? 19th largest economy in the civilized world is Wal-Mart
http://www.walmartmovie.com/ < This isn't what you think it is....watch it.

I won't use anything from them. As far as I'm concerned I'll take my business
anywhere but there if I can help it. Seen too many bad things about how
many American companies have been put out of business and exported to
China because of their tactics. I can't believe people don't care enough
to do the research on this place, but save a few $$'s and they're ecstatic

I'd rather pay for Amsoil personally then support that company.
You guys need to watch the special on Cable about the communities that
have denied Walmart access to build and why.

Interesting Google Searches for education.
1. Walmart Fines
2. Walmart Bad , etc > http://winningargument.blogspot.com/...r-america.html

If you want the easy route just visit http://walmartwatch.com/

Watch all that and then come back and tell us all it was worth
saving those few $$'s on your synthetic motor oil. Avoid Walmart
Shop at Costco, a much friendlier store to America. No I don't work
for either.....I work for Comcast as a high level engineer.
http://www.laborresearch.org/print.php?id=391
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/17/bu.../17costco.html
Pay special attention to the massive pay scale differences

Last edited by Aceshigh; 11-13-2007 at 03:14 AM.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sorry Ashland does not make BP\Castrol oil I work for them and should know. But it is funny that we use Mobil products for our gear boxes and pumps.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Josh, Doesnt Ashland make Valvoline Products?

Also for all you Walmart haters, who really cares? Seriously why get SOO worked up about something that doesnt directly involve you or your family. It is the employees fault that they put up with and accept "Super low wages and bad benefits"...maybe they should have spent more time in front of a book or at a local library trying to get an education and make a real living. Some people just dont give a **** about getting an education or think its not cool/un necessary, and think somebody always "owes them something", or that we "need to feel sorry for them". Those people will ALWAYS be looked down on by me.

Ya'll need to either just get over it,or accept the fact because it is NEVER going to change anything unless the government steps in and regulates some things.

Rant Off. Back on topic of Oil.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SHINER
yes i have heard that, but i have also heard if ur going to switch do it very slowly like a blend then a conventional.
I switched to full synthetic Castrol in my Big Block truck at 70,000. I am now at 90,000 no leaks, no more oil usage and it is nice and quiet. Screw all those rumors.
8 Quarts!!
I may try the Supertech.
The Trans Am and Cadillac get Amsoil 10W30. I love that stuff.

Quick Reply: Interesting Read about SuperTech Oil..aka "WalMart Oil"