General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

engine going?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 09:45 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default engine going?

i installed my lid, did the ram air mod, and the TB bumpstop mod. So i started it up. It knocks when its cold, but as it gets to about 195 the knock goes away. But i wanted to get into it alittle to see if my mods made any difference. So i got the car warm, about 205 degrees, car felt great and the motor sounded normal, so i took it to my usual spot and got into it, i was rolling like 10 or 15 mph, got it to like 2500 and went WOT. The car didnt step side ways like it normally does. I only ran it up to maybe 4500 before i grabbed 2nd. The car wasnt pulling nearly as hard as it normally does. Maybe the computer was still adjusting for the new mods? i drove it like 5 minutes prior to taking it to that one spot. I also noticed that my oil pressure was like 37 and its normally 42 or 43. The motor has 198k on it but was drivin all highway(we all know on the highway these cars in 6th are barely above idle). Or maybe i just didnt get into its powerband? i still remember it pulling harder. Any ideas?
Old 11-22-2007, 02:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like you expect a real performance gain? It aint happening with what you changed. Maybe 2-3% improvement for the lid.

Try a new cam and LT headers. Then get back to us.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:52 AM
TECH Addict

Ok riddle me this.....does it have less power than before?
Old 11-22-2007, 08:14 AM
TECH Addict

you most likely shouldn't even feel a difference from those mods. throw a cam or headers on and then give it a WOT.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Are cars have piston slap when you first start them up. It goes away when they are warmed up.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:19 PM
Launching!

yeah, i know i wasn't expecting much of any difference, but i got LESS power. I spent alot of time and money(im still in high school and work at a fast food place) for the performance stuff, i really dont expect it to make less power after what i put into it(money/time)
Old 11-22-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

haha, you would be supprised. i had full bolt ons, DRs, some suspension, built tranny and rear. i ran a 14 flat because of how shitty it was running. i ran low 13s stock. but yours sounds like a problem. good luck
Old 11-22-2007, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Does it feel slower or is it actually slower. Even my car feels slow just because i'm used to it.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

^^^This believe it or not actually happens when you get used to your car. With the mods you did I don't see how you could have really messed anything up that would make your car slower.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dunno man, I put my FTRA on and after about 50 miles (computer catching up) I felt a definate difference in pick up after I got goin. Maybe your car is a slow learner?? The computer has to adjust and compansate for mod's, even if they are small like bolt ons! You also gotta make sure you put them on correctly. I did the HomeDepot smooth bellows mod and because I didn't cut it correctly it didn't seal right so it ran like crap!!!
Old 11-24-2007, 01:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlueStreak362
i installed my lid, did the ram air mod, and the TB bumpstop mod. So i started it up. It knocks when its cold, but as it gets to about 195 the knock goes away. But i wanted to get into it alittle to see if my mods made any difference. So i got the car warm, about 205 degrees, car felt great and the motor sounded normal, so i took it to my usual spot and got into it, i was rolling like 10 or 15 mph, got it to like 2500 and went WOT. The car didnt step side ways like it normally does. I only ran it up to maybe 4500 before i grabbed 2nd. The car wasnt pulling nearly as hard as it normally does. Maybe the computer was still adjusting for the new mods? i drove it like 5 minutes prior to taking it to that one spot. I also noticed that my oil pressure was like 37 and its normally 42 or 43. The motor has 198k on it but was drivin all highway(we all know on the highway these cars in 6th are barely above idle). Or maybe i just didnt get into its powerband? i still remember it pulling harder. Any ideas?
this may sound like a dumb question but did you disconnect the battery when you did your mods, if you did not the computer didnt get a chance to forget the settings from the old mods, and make new settings for the new ones
i had that prob the first time i modded (lid and t.b)
Old 11-24-2007, 12:03 PM
Launching!

no i didnt disconnect it, i usually do but that time i didnt, and your right i may just be getting used to it. my HP Tuners will be in any day now so i am going to look and see what it is doing. And throw a tune on it.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlueStreak362
no i didnt disconnect it, i usually do but that time i didnt, and your right i may just be getting used to it. my HP Tuners will be in any day now so i am going to look and see what it is doing. And throw a tune on it.
yea thats your prob bro
disco the battery for about twenty minutes and then start it up and let it sit for about five or ten minutes and give the computer a chance to reset to your new mods
good luck
Old 11-24-2007, 02:59 PM
Launching!

the ecm should have seen the increase in air through the maf and adjusted for it. Also if i reset it i doubt it would perform as well at WOT for the first few hard runs. Everytime it would get better because it would learn. but i think the best bet for me is to hook up a wideband and look at my AFR, i could be super lean and not even realize it. The car also seemed like it was idling alittle rough when i started it up. It usually shakes the shifter a bit but this time it seemed more so then normal. Im not sure whats up with it.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow ur car goes sideways at 2500 with those mods? also when was the last time the spark plugs were changed?? rough idle can also be caused by the plugs
Old 11-24-2007, 07:11 PM
Launching!

rolling, in 1st gear yes it will go sideways around 3500-4k (i have to feather the clutch out quick though). We put AC delco iridium plugs in it about 1200 miles ago, so there fresh.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:30 PM
Teching In

There is actually a small decrease in low rpm torque with the new lid, due in part to engine harmonics, but not enough to "feel", it is my opinion that the computer is still trying to learn the new intake efficiency and this will go away with time, also tire temperature, pressure and wear, road surface temp, and ambient humidty all have an effect on the seat of the pants affect. Let the ecm and pcm learn their new operating perameters... Just my 2 cents. Also could be the clutch starting to give.... Could be a million different things too.

Last edited by JimmiSizzzle; 11-24-2007 at 07:31 PM. Reason: grammatical error
Old 11-24-2007, 08:08 PM
Banned

yea i thought it could be a clutch too, o yea, anybody can dump the clutch rolling and completly slide sideways! i thought u meant u jus got on it at 2500, but enyways, its either clutch or its in ur head, i personally feel my car is faster and louder at night! but i know dats jus in my head. everyday my car feels slower and slower to me, but when i giv people a ride it scars the **** out of them! but i have also learned that our cars feel much faster as a passenger rather then a driver!
Old 11-24-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ae13291
but i have also learned that our cars feel much faster as a passenger rather then a driver!
lol thats cause we're in control and expecting it
Old 11-25-2007, 02:17 AM
Banned

hummm yea i guess since were expecting it!! when ever my car feels slow i jus let somebody giv me a ride in my car =)