General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

had enough

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007 | 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default had enough

most of you must know this feeling..

i've just had it with my car.. i've spent so much on modding it.. but still its so far from being ready.. that i dont know what i want to do.. i've had enough spendind endless money in to it.. but like it is for now.. i would never get any decent money for it because it does not even work..

it is a 98 M6.. 33k miles, it spuned a bearing for about a year ago and since i've bin modding the hell out of it, built 346cid, head/cam/intake full exhaust, lt's, SS spoiler, GS wheels 11" in the back, race tronix fuel system and for now i am installing a complete 90mm plate system form nitrous outlet.. every single thing bougth brand new from the sponsors..

i dont knwo what to do.. best thing would be to just store it somewhere until i want to start work on it agen.. i guess

anyone here in the same problem?

Old 11-22-2007 | 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

just dont drive it for a while..... store it for a month or 2.
Dont even turn it on, just go look at it every now and then. Then turn it on but dont drive it. Listen to the idle and fall in love again.
Then hop in and go destroy some fool's self esteem. Thats what I did with my truck and now I actually get excited to drive it again. Just my .02
Old 11-22-2007 | 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

I did until a few days ago when I bolted a new starter on my car and it finally fired up. It'll be worth it in the end, I know I would never have felt my heart hit 600 beats per minute if I hadn't kept at it lol But I do understand how you feel, I spun a bearing and built my motor, not as much as you but I also got most of my parts used. It gets better, especially if you fire your now-cammed LS1 on open headers
Old 11-22-2007 | 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

ls1 with open headers?
Old 11-22-2007 | 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

i've almost not driven it fro a year.. when i installed the motor i drove it 500miles untuned just for the fun of it,
Old 11-22-2007 | 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

nope, can't say i'm bored with mine. just fixing problems is what i'm bored with.
Old 11-22-2007 | 08:10 PM
Teching In

YEP....70k into my 05 GTO and I'm where your at right now...! I've been doing some small things and tonight I put on my new cutouts. Next month I want to have a stroker put in it,I should feel a little better.
Hang in there though. just piddle with it a little now and then,it'll all come back to you soon.
Old 11-22-2007 | 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

just look at it this way. if you even think about selling it, realize how much money you will lose. id keep it and see if the interest comes back?
Old 11-22-2007 | 10:30 PM
Trunion King

I'm bored with my LS1 also... I'm skipping the mundane H/C/I mods and go to LSx (402)stroker|APS TT or maggie set up/beefed up my 4L60E/rear. Just need more money. I need more rank.
Old 11-22-2007 | 10:45 PM
12 Second Club

i NEED MORE NITROUS and a stall
Old 11-22-2007 | 10:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

No chance of boredom here. Although it was close last year, but then I got my first stall and well, it was like a whole new car. I think its cause I have to put it away in the winter, so that seems to keep me amped up to drive it.

hop in and go destroy some fool's self esteem
Thats what I'm talkin about. I lived in a small hick town so I like the thought that I am at or near the top of the "food chain" so to speak.
Old 11-23-2007 | 10:37 AM
Banned

Haaa, I've owned a car for 18 years the 1975 nova in my sig. Thats when I stopped counting reciepts when I hit $10,000 back in the late 80's, whats a 1975 nova worth? $500?
It was my daily driver at first. I had it two years and put a very hard to find new stock grille on it and new hood with a moulded in scoop only to have a guy in a van pull out in front of me and I t-boned him, ruined the front clip.

I put several engines in it, tore it down to the bare shell in '95 to get all the rust out and weld new metal in, paint everything, all new parts on the whole car. Did everything myself, rebuilt the M4, the rear, the engine, suspension. It looked brand new when I was done.
It was an original M4 car that I swapped to an A4, then back to M4, then to A3, then manual M3, I built every automatic I put in it.

It was a good test car, I sold several engines and transmssions out of it because people could test drive them.

Then I started with big blocks. I had a quite rare big block in it. It ate several cams because the machine shop installed a cam bearing wrong, tore it down to the bare block for that, got it running for 500 miles and a few track passes and it broke a valve head off at 5000 rpm, had to get different heads, pistons, rods, valve train, block sleeved because it got cracked.
Got it back up and running just to run low 11's and have the track tell me I need a bunch more safety equipment in it.
So I decided to sell it and was advertising it for sale $xxxx whole car, I met a guy at a swap meet and told him the same $xxxx for just the engine, and he bought just the engine. So there I was left with a car with no engine but spare parts and a pocket full of cash, few months later I built a 468 big block, nothing factory but the block.
$9000 in just the engine, and thats full machine work on the block, I did the rest of the engine work, just to have it run fast enough to need a hell of a lot of safety equipment, and chassis work to get it to hook up.
So I sold the whole thing for $4000.
And I used that $4000 to pay off credit cards used to buy parts for it.
It was a lot of fun at first but towards the end it did get old.
If you're just starting out and it's getting old you might want to get out now.
In all the 18 years it was always fun except for the last two. It was always fun to drive.
Old 11-23-2007 | 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

Stick with it man, that thing is gonna be a monster when you get the ambition the get her running. When you finally do it get it going you will be so happy you didn't get rid of it.
Old 11-23-2007 | 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

i was starting to get bored with my '96 Z28 but i still LOVED the car then i sold it(got a GREAT price on it) and bought my C5 i NEVER get bored with this car. Everytime I start it up i get the heart racing. Now i'm doing the Heads/Cam/full exhaust/intake and tune and looking to puch 450+ HP. I park mine for 4-6 months of the year so i don't have time to get bored with it. But i do see where you are coming from. It gets to be alot of B.S. to deal with. ~Cole~
Old 11-23-2007 | 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Been through multiple Fbodies and now got the car I wanted. It's all about taking you're time and building the perfect beast. It ain't gonna happen overnight so just hang on, the best is yet to happen!!! As long as you got the funds and the drive anything could and will be made reallity !
Old 11-23-2007 | 09:38 PM

I think at some point in time we have all been there. Right now i'm a little bored with my '01 SS. I love the car and it looks awesome, but i'm over the LT's and loudmouth setup. It sounds badass at idle but when you get on it it's rediculous. I'm in the process of reinventing that car this winter by finishing the suspension mods. with a tubular k-member, 12 bolt, and Kooks LT's and a custom Speed Inc. true dual exhaust, 18X10.5 C5 Z06's outback...among a few other little tidbits. I'm getting ready for the LSX 454 that will be built for this beast! I have to keep my cars fresh and change little things here and there to stay interested. As long as there is something more that car be done to or added to the car I stay interested/motivated...although I do sometimes have the depraved thought of buying a C5 Z06