General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Need HELP! May have a problem.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Need HELP! May have a problem.

Alright, I went to move my car out of the garage. Tried to start it, but it was dead to the point where when i turn the key on the gauges just start jumping around all goofy. I had pulled the car in and i live in a house with a sloped driveway so......i rolled it backwards and popped the clutch to get it to fire in reverse. The car fired but then it ran like i had a GINORMOUS cam in it for about 30 seconds.....i then tried to give it gas to smooth it out and it died.....so i did the same thing again with the same result Thinkin that this may have given it enough life to turn over i spin the key to start and i get NOTHING.....i mean nothing no gauges no dings no nothing. my question is what are the chances i fu*ked something up and what might i have messed up in doing so?????
Old 12-18-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

if it isn't your battery it is probaly your alternator, bring it up to your local auto store and have them test it
Old 12-18-2007, 12:53 PM
Launching!

well the giant cam problem is most likely your maf, it happens top me all the time when you either unplug it or clean it, and i usualy just let it idle for a couple mins and it will go back to normal, but if you give it gas it will die. as far as your car not starting or even attempting to start im not sure
Old 12-18-2007, 12:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bryan04h
if it isn't your battery it is probaly your alternator, bring it up to your local auto store and have them test it

Well i have a new optima red top in the car so i doubt its that and the alternator is pretty new as well.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:13 PM
14 Second Truck Club

When the battery is dead starting the car won't work. You have to charge the battery. The entire car runs off of electronics, when the battery is dead it will do some wierd things. I once had a v-6 S-10 that chirped every gear including overdrive when the battery was going bad.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fastgmc53
When the battery is dead starting the car won't work. You have to charge the battery. The entire car runs off of electronics, when the battery is dead it will do some wierd things. I once had a v-6 S-10 that chirped every gear including overdrive when the battery was going bad.

Its doin weird things for sure. I wish it would stop
Old 12-18-2007, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

get a new battery and alternator
Old 12-18-2007, 01:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by z2fast8
get a new battery and alternator
I know its not the battery, i dont think its the alternator i just had it tested not to long ago.

Im not a noob by any means to this kind of thing, i guess what i need to know is if i could have messed something up with the PCM by clutch starting it in reverse? I know what cars act like when the batt./alternator is bad.....this isnt it!

BTW the only reason i havent jumped the car before you ask is my cables are junk and i dont have a ride to the store to get new ones, so basically i may just be freaking myself out over nothing till i get some cables.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

im not trying to be a smartass but could you have mistakenly put it in 5th gear instead of reverse? only reason im asking cuz i did that once when my battery died in my garage and backed it down the driveway. it didnt start tho. i caught it after it choked and caughed a little.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:30 PM
11 Second Club

Same **** happened to me. My battery and the alternator were both good. Then I checked the battery terminals...
They were corroded as **** man, white powdery **** in there.

Get some Coke to neutralize the corrosion and use a bush to clean it up.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:31 PM
12 Second Club

My buddy did a tranny swap in his car and when he went to start it is idled really bad for a minute or so. He just gave it gas until it evened out. If i were you i would take the battery and get it charged.. maybe you left an interior light on or something, somehow drained the power. When you get it charged put it back in an fire it up. Keep it running until the idle clears up. If it dies again because of the battery you may want to look into the alternator.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:18 PM
Launching!

Thanks for all the input, im still waiting on the ol' lady to get home to go get some cables.....I think its just the battery ran down, i figured out that the ol radar detector was left plugged in for about 6 days now.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:03 PM
Launching!

All worries were for nothing,,,,,,,,,,,,Dead battery jumped it fired right up..............thanks for the input though all of you
Old 12-18-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

lol i was going to say it was just from the motor spining backward
Old 12-18-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats cool! I know whats its like with a new car...you get a little edgy when something goes strange on you.

I thought my valve guides were bad in my new Cobra, but my friend told me it was just the injectors (Which are loud in the 03's.)
Old 12-19-2007, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

i always find it weird when a problem happens all of a sudden you feel like the cars a totoal POS and nothing works right.. then it's fixed and your under the covers with her again.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1meantransam
i always find it weird when a problem happens all of a sudden you feel like the cars a totoal POS and nothing works right.. then it's fixed and your under the covers with her again.
Amen to that lol ^^^^^^