General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Title and Registration Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Title and Registration Question

I have been a NY resident all my life. In August, I started college in Florida. While in Florida I picked up a trans am and registered it with the state of florida. Well, i didnt like school in Florida so I'm transferring to a community college back in NY. I am currently in NY as of right now and dont plan on going back to Florida in the near future.

The registration on my trans am expires in about 2 weeks. I plan on registering my car with NY before then. Now my question is: What steps do I take to unregister my car with Florida and am i required to unregister my car with florida before i register with ny?
Old 12-22-2007, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just go to the NY DMV with your title registration information from Florida and register the car in NY. I did the same with the registration from WI, when I brought it to CA.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Ohio and bought a truck from out of the state. I had to take the car to the DMV and they had to inspect the truck before they would give me an Ohio title.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

You don't have to do anything with FL. The registration will just expire. Everything will be NY related for you. I moved to NC from FL and everything was NC related with nothing to do from FL. Just hang your FL tag on your garage wall.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

State DMV's don't always comunicate with each other as well as you think. I bought my current car across the river in Washington. Registered the new car back home in Oregon and I thought that the dealer title transfer, etc would report my trade in as sold. Nope. Oregon tags on the car I traded in expired last summer and I got renewal forms in the mail. And someone else had probably been driving my old car for a year or more, Registered in Washington.

It's a good idea to inform the previous state that you moved or sold the car.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

you don't want to have to "trust" the dmv to communicate with fl, so you might to go ahead and tell them whats up. see if there is any steps you need to take unregister it or if it is even necessary...i have no faith in government employees...i am one...nonetheless you always want to tie up loose ends...things tend to always bite ya in the *** ya know
Old 12-23-2007, 11:32 AM
Banned

You don'r need to tell FL anything IN YOUR CASE. Now if you sold the car it's a good idea, I had some jackass driving a truck I sold for 6 months in my name. Should've reported it stolen because if he wrecked it, it would have been my ***.
BUT you're keeping the car.
Just get it transfered in NY.
Another point is if you unregistered the car, what if you needed to drive it to NY.
As a last resort call the DMV for each state or visit the FAQ section of their websites.