General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

cars with rebuilt titles

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 01:01 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to disagree with the milage statements...

I would any day of the week take a well cared for higher milage car over a rebuilt car unless I know for sure what the vehicle's history is and EXACTLY why it was issued a salvaged title.

A well cared for high milage car basically has no big mysteries if you will.With a salvaged title car,the only thing you are certain of is that without doubt the vehicle has had a negative incident in it's history.

Most of the general community out there does NOT have the knowledge to be able to tell how extensive damage has been to a rebuilt car and unfortunately many (not all) people pray on that very fact when selling these cars to the public.And in turn to increase profit those dealers/sellers that practice that kind of business ethic also cut corners on repairs...from safety to repair parts to even the quality of the paint.

Again,I'm not saying all people who sell rebuilt title cars do this but,I have yet to see a "quality" repair job on one.At least here in south Texas.

Like I have said,all cases can vary from car to car but in my opinion I would take a high milage car over a rebuilt title.

My SS was over 100K miles when I bought her and all stock down to the factory clutch from what my mechanic told me.She drives like new and you really wouldn't have any clue as to the amount of miles she has if it weren't for a few random chips on the front facia of the car from the highway and the original headlights being cloudy.

I say unless you know what you are doing or know someone who knows what they are doing,stay away from bad titles...just my opinion.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Problem with a lot of rebuilt title cars is that they were usually done by the insurance. A lot of body shops do what makes the ins company happy not the owner or new owner so they tend to skip put on some things. I had it happen to me. I was rear ended and the shop did a total **** job and i had to take it back and get redone.. A good thing to do is try to find out who rebuilt it and get a history.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

your insurance might go up and they do not sell easily i would only but one if it was a very good deal and i mean very good.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

insurance will be NO different if it's a rebuilt or not. They have to pass inspection in almost EVERY state and that is good enough to the insurance company for it to be looked at as NO different then one that's untouched. Also i've never totaled out one that i've had rebuilt but my insurance company told me flat out that it doesn't matter if it's rebuilt or not they would still be me full book on it if i did wreck it. Just a little info for ya. Don't be scared of a rebuilder. One or two horror stories and everybody gets paranoid. Same **** happens with cars that hit 100k miles. Everybodies like OMG, it's got 100k it's gonna break all the time and not be reliable. That's not even true as most have found out with most vehicles 100k is just broke in. It's all ParanoiaJust look it over real good and see if the gaps line up. Most shops the actually rebuild one, even if the frame has a bend or cut in it, will leave some trace. If the frame is straight and drives straight, even if it's been tweaked then don't worry about it.~Cole~
Old 01-03-2008, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

dang, everybody has different opinions on this one
Old 01-03-2008, 11:08 PM
12 Second Club

I like a good screwing once in awhile thats why I'm in the army
Old 01-04-2008, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say it depends on your intentions with the car. If you plan on keeping it for a while then at 8900 it might be worth going to step 2 which would be getting it inspected by a neutral party. As for insurance you have to be carefull because if you do wreck it, i believe they will total it faster because according to them the value isn't as high.

As for looking it over... it isn't dents you should be looking for. Hell, half the car isn't even dentable! Its what was repaired under the skin that presents the most problems. The best thing to do would be to pay a bodyshop to put it up on a rack and check it over. Take it to a mechanic make sure all the electrical/ cooling systems are up to par.

Then again, there were tens of thousands of fbodys made so maybe you should just wait for the PERFECT one.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

I think I'm leaning toward having a neutral party inspect it very carefully
Old 01-04-2008, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't shy away from it if you just want a toy to drive. If you're looking for something with resale or investment potential, then pass on it.

Like everyone else said, have it checked out, make sure the work was done correctly.

Nice thing about the salvage/rebuilt title cars is that you don't have to feel guilty about modding the heck out of it or cutting it up to be a racecar. You KNOW there's not much value to it, so who cars?

Try and find out what the damage was though.

I was looking into buying one, alot of people told me to go for it if it was fixed right. It was a 45k mile '00 WS6 Formy for 8k. I really wanted it, but then found out it was a salvage title becasue of water damage. After learning that, everyone who previously told me to go for it told me to walk away. Too many potential issues with water damaged cars, you never know what will pop up in the future.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Resident

I build a lot of salvage am I am pickier than a ************. 8900 is FREE, you know damn well that 01 Trans Ams are 12-15k. Harder to sell? Most people here turn a car into drag Larry. I'd rather have a badass rebuilt car than raced/modified to death one. BTW a lot of salvage is due to theft. I have had many many cars missing the seats and radio with all OEM paint with salvage title. and water damage isn't necessarily that bad. If water touches the carpet it gets salvaged. I bought a 3000 mile car before that old folks drove through a low dip in the road and puked the engine. I put a low mileage motor in and that car has been perfect since.It's case by case. Some rebuilders are picky some are shifty.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Teching In

I also rebuild a lot of light hit cars,Jeeps and Diesel trucks. MOst states will brand a title even if stolen and recovered with 0% damage. I also noticed in a previous thread that they have never seen one repaired correctly--thats a very broad statement. I have several shops that are expensive but do top notch work and usually looks better than the factory paint. There are people that take pride in what they do and are very talented. Look at it this way- say you have a legit 1969Z28 matching numbers car but it needs floors, quarters, roof panel, outer and inner wheelhouses etc etc. Does it get a branded title due to these extensive repairs??? Of course not but it's just had a war pension spent on it only tobe on E-bay or ??? bringing ridiculous money. Bottom line is have someone qualified to check it out for you.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

All salvage title cars are not alike. Some have a lot of cosmetic damage but no structural damage. They may be driveable (but ugly) without repairs. Others suffer major structural damage and need critical parts replaced or repaired. I've owned several salvage cars with good luck. Insist on seeing photos of the car before it was fixed to see what damage it had. This will help you decide if you are interested in it. Cars with a salvage title should be a "LOT" cheaper than a clear title car. (up to 50%). If you plan to drive it til the wheels fall off they can be a good deal. If you plan to sell it in a year or so, they can be a "BITCH" to resell. As others have said, look it over more carefully than a clear title car or have a mechanic and/or body shop evaluate it for you and believe what they tell you. I'd plan to spend a few dollars to fix little things that aren't apparent when you buy it.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

$8900 with a rebuilt title had better be in immaculate condition.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:38 AM
TECH Junkie

my z28 is the first car ive had in a couple years thats not been salvage title, but i do all my own work so i know its done right. but as long as there are no lights on the dash, no visable damage, everything lines up, and it drives good it should be a good car. if you dont know much about bodywork take the car on a test drive, and swing buy a trusted body shop and have them take a look at it. also always ask if they have pics of it before so you can see what was wrong with it. but all in all if they were fixed right they will be good as new. just stay away from flood cars.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just depends, theres a lot better condition salvage titled cars then clear titled cars driving around now, for instance my cars super clean, but has a salvage title cause it was a theft recovery
Old 01-07-2008, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

ya to tell ya salvage is a total joke. I bought a jeep a few years back that was missing the door panels, the radiator, and the front bumper due to theft. had 60k miles on it and it got salvaged out. I recently bought a 00 z28 about 6 months ago that was a clean title car. It appeared that someone slid it sideways into a pole and hit it right behind the front wheel. that car banana'd and the whole thing was crooked. that car should have never been rebuilt but it was. Now, you can be the person to buy it, car fax it and see that it had no salvage history, and your driving a total piece of ****. U can get hosed and not even know it. Salvage vehicles are just as good as any other, its all about how it was put back together and trust me, when you look it over, you will know how well it was built just by how body lines look, paint quality, etc. there are lots of things to look for.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been around rebuilds before. Body shops go to auctions, pay the least they can and then put it back together the least they can so they can turn a profit. I would stay away from a unibody rebuilt for one. Number two unless you know the shop personaly and supervise the rebuild, I would stay away as well. If you want to save money buy a roller or go to the auction with the body shop and pick your own. Buyback on these cars after being totalled is about 2500 from the insurance company.

And as stated salvage titles arent worth crap unless your talking about a rare muscle car. I would not buy a salvaged car unless I personaly knew what was wrong and supervised the rebuild. Good paint and bondo work can hide any bad mechanical work. Just because someone knows how to paint doesnt mean the car is sound and a good buy. I've worked for body shops. I know the tricks.
White paint hides everything. Spray paint covers any stain. Stay away from salvaged titles you just have no idea what was or is wrong with it.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 01-07-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

I just watched a 02 WS6 with 55k miles 6 speed, salvaged sell on an insurance auction for $7200 in TX. another 3k and it would be done. tell me where you can buy a 02 ws6 with 55k for under 10K? you cant.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:49 AM
Banned

From my prospective, in sales at a dealership in Ohio, I would stay away from such a car.

Don't know what you're spending hopefully well below market value. I say this because as a dealer in Ohio that car is worthless to us if you ever plan on trading it in. It's called a salvage title here, we can't resell it. It will always have value but always less than what it should be.

I remember reading you're on a tight budget. In my opinion this isn't a good car for you to buy. You'll never be able to wash the title and make it clean. Work hard save your money buy a good one, not a salvage or rebuilt vehicle.

An old man and his dog!
Old 01-07-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i bought a '00 V6 Camaro, silver hardtop with 22k miles on it for 3500 with a salvage and STILL wrecked. Needed both back 1/4 panels, bumper, passengers door. Repaired it and I drove it 2.5-3 years and sold with 70k on it. Sold it for $7200 and the only thing i ever did to it was replace a belt and i tore the rear end outta it doing a burnout competition with a GT mustang. But it was a great car and was a fun first F-body. i'd say $1700 MORE then my V6 for a newer Fbody with a V8 and t-tops is a GREAT deal~Cole~

Quick Reply: cars with rebuilt titles