General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Minor Dent NEED ADVICE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 01:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'll be the first to say that now that i've seen the pictures, i'm not so sure my idea of using a suction cup might work. if you can get a hold of one (and it's not your typical suction cup. it hooks up to a compressed air hose and such) it's definitely worth a try, but in the position it's in with the molding right dead center...... i dunno. might as well take it to a body shop and at least see what they have to say about it. or, if you have a community college near you that has an auto body program you could see if they could do it. i say that because i know we couldn't charge labor for any repairs that we did on customer's cars... just for materials. so that might be an option too.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:11 AM
11 Second Club

PDR can probably get that dent out. I have a similar dent (right over the tire) that my PDR friend is taking out next week. Go around to used car dealerships and ask them who does their PDR. Only thing is with a black car you are going to see a small wave where the dent was, but much better than a huge dent.

Also are you concerned about the paint? Touchup paint will mask it, but black shows everything.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by FlashLCD33
PDR can probably get that dent out. I have a similar dent (right over the tire) that my PDR friend is taking out next week. Go around to used car dealerships and ask them who does their PDR. Only thing is with a black car you are going to see a small wave where the dent was, but much better than a huge dent.

Also are you concerned about the paint? Touchup paint will mask it, but black shows everything.

Yea im concerned with the paint and I planned on touching it up later with the knowledge of still being able to tell...Im just focused on getting this huge freaking dent out...It really pisses me off to know that its there now...there were no other flaws on the car until this...But I appreciate the advice from anyone and feel free to keep it coming...The more the better...I will try both ideas of going to a community college body shop program and PDR...thanks again and keep the advice coming!

Josh
Old 01-06-2008, 02:53 AM
TECH Addict

Well that section of paint in the picture looks rough. I was just wondering if it was from the accident or no and if you planned on retouching any of it.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:49 AM

ttt for today
Old 01-06-2008, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought my 00 WS6 it had two small dents on the rear quarter and a local dealership used a company called The Dent Wizard. They got the dents out and you have to look really hard to find them now. Your dent is much larger then what I had but I think they could make that dent look a lot better. Try calling local dealerships and ask them who they use to repair dents, it's worth a shot to see if they can help.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Resident

could he dent a worse spot?
Old 01-06-2008, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

PDR is mainly used for door dings,hail damage and some small dents.. in your case your quarter panel is creased,and with the deepest part of the dent so close to the door edge it would be very hard to get to.. sure someone w/paintless dent removal experiance can drill a hole in your wheel well and get some of the mass of the dent out but it still going to need some body work and to be painted...
Old 01-06-2008, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by sercastiK
could he dent a worse spot?

I know right? It was an SRT 4 that my friend drives that hit me...You should see his front right fender AND carbon fiber hood AND headlights....LMAO

I guess on monday im gonna call dealerships around and see what they can do. Should I try my best to stay away from chevy? Cause I know they charge out the *** for labor and such...Thanks again for all the help! Keep it coming!

Josh
Old 01-06-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea the PDR guy will want to drill a hole in the inner fender and push it out. Will be cheap ~$125 and should get the most of it out. First off though pull that piece of moulding off with a blowdryer and fishing line. Then use goo-gone and clean the panel very good so you can tell how it looks when the PDR or suction cup is done. Other than that it just depends on how picky you are and how much money you have.
And please tell us what happened that made him hit you- I am imagining his srt 4 doing backwards donuts in his fwd car before sliding out of control; while you are easing off to the real track.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why are you worrying about this? Your friend fucked it up, in my opinion he should be the one trying to find out where to get it fixed, and how much it's going to cost HIM.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by keliente
Why are you worrying about this? Your friend fucked it up, in my opinion he should be the one trying to find out where to get it fixed, and how much it's going to cost HIM.
And I totally agree with you...but heres the story to answer 99bluefirebirds question...

We went to a kroger's parking lot to meet up with some other people that were suppose to go to the track with us. Well he didnt know how to get to the track so he told me to lead and I was parked on the right side of him. So when we finally left i went to pull ahead of him and he thought I was going to a different exit to get onto the highway and as I looked back to cut across here came the red SRT 4 and slammed into the back left rear of me...What pisses me off is that HE told me to lead AND why the hell would I get onto the highway from an exit that is 100+ feet away rather then the one that is 20? But since this happened in a parking lot, we are waiting to see if this is a no fault accident or not? Anyone hit anyone in a parking lot before and had it be no fault? OH, and ill have a picture of what it looked like in about 10 min...

Josh
Old 01-06-2008, 07:55 PM

Here's the picture...hope it helps to understand my story...let me know what you think...enjoy!

Old 01-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

this is what i'd be doing to my friend...

that really sucks man. why are you wanting a "no fault" or whatever? so that way his insurance doesn't go up? or if you claim it on your insurance your rates don't go up?

i mean, it WAS his fault, wasn't it?
Old 01-06-2008, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by steelhorses

that really sucks man. why are you wanting a "no fault" or whatever? so that way his insurance doesn't go up? or if you claim it on your insurance your rates don't go up?

i mean, it WAS his fault, wasn't it?
yea in my view it was...but we both dont want claims on our cars...im not for screwing a friend over when it could have been both of our faults...im really not concerned with whose fault is was...I just want the damn dent outta my car...ya know?
Old 01-06-2008, 10:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

i was kinda hoping the heat gun idea would work it sounds interesting, might as well try a stud gun before you pull the panel
Old 01-06-2008, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by binks0678
i was kinda hoping the heat gun idea would work it sounds interesting, might as well try a stud gun before you pull the panel
the heat gun and CO2 thing ACTUALLY did bring the outside part of the dent but i think because of the molding being on there its not letting the very center pop out...can i buy or rent a stud gun? if so, from where? cause tomorrow im taking it to all the shops i know of and i just wanna try EVERY possible thing before I pay to have it done...thanks again everyone!!!

Josh
Old 01-06-2008, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, here's the deal, if you two can agree that it was his fault, just have him pay for it, don't go to insurance. They'll never find out, and you can get your car fixed without either of your ins going up. I understand you don't wanna screw a friend over, but he should be held accountable for his mistake. Just go the cheapest acceptable route and send him the bill. Just because you don't want your friend to get screwed is no reason for you to get screwed yourself. Just my $.02
Old 01-07-2008, 01:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LSXss408
the heat gun and CO2 thing ACTUALLY did bring the outside part of the dent but i think because of the molding being on there its not letting the very center pop out...can i buy or rent a stud gun? if so, from where? cause tomorrow im taking it to all the shops i know of and i just wanna try EVERY possible thing before I pay to have it done...thanks again everyone!!!

Josh
I don't know if you just want to "rent" a stud gun and then 'go to town' on your quarter panel unless you really know what you are doing. you've gotta grind all the paint out of the dent, and then use the "weld" the stud onto your quarter with the gun, and then be able to pry it back out... but you gotta do it the right way, cuz otherwise you could screw it up. i'll throw in a picture of where i used a stud gun on the quarter panel of my Chevelle. it's definitely not pretty, but it's a helluva lot better than it was. (whoever did the body work on it tried to cover up some real shitty work - so i tried to pull some of it back out with my stud gun)
then, you're still gonna have to feather out the paint edges, go back in with body filler, then prime it, block it, paint it, clear the whole quarter panel, etc. (you don't want to try and blend the clear coat so you gotta paint the whole thing to a body line or someplace where you can hide it.) and i don't know of any body shops that are going to let the customer do the prep work and then they paint it. (there may be some, i just don't know of any) because if your bodywork fails, but they painted it, and somebody asks who did the work and you say "oh, so and so did it" then that gives them a bad reputation even though you did all the prep work.

As much as it sucks to pay to have it done, i would let a pro handle it, because they know what they are doing.

Picture of the chevelle. Like i said, it ain't pretty. And this is how it still is (except i sprayed some rattle can epoxy primer on it to keep it from rusting). i don't have the money right now to replace the quarter, and i don't have the time right now to try and fix it up better...
Don't go bashin on me for how ugly it looks. it looks 10 times better than it did originally.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:27 AM

09CPTN I agree and tried to reach an agreement with him but he somehow thinks its my fault now and wants to call my insurance guy so IDK what the hell we are gonna do about this now. We are both taking our cars to body shops tomorrow to see how much each others damages are so we will see..And steelhorses, I appreciate you showing me your work...cause it has convinced me NOT to go that route...Not saying its bad at all, but its a hell of ALOT better then what I could possibly do...I posted in the parts wanted so MAYBE someone may have it...Im gonna go check my local junkyard for camaros to...so hopefully I can luck out...

Josh