General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

gas milage

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly it IS amazing, what the difference is if you can keep your foot off the gas and do the speed limit I used to drive 10 over the limit going to my school, but by just driving the limit i get on average about 20-30 more miles on a tank (this is on a 14 mile drive to school and back, over 1 week)
Old 01-19-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PonyTamr
Honestly it IS amazing, what the difference is if you can keep your foot off the gas and do the speed limit I used to drive 10 over the limit going to my school, but by just driving the limit i get on average about 20-30 more miles on a tank (this is on a 14 mile drive to school and back, over 1 week)
Oh no doubt... I learned this back when I got my Grand Cherokee. It has an instant fuel economy display, so I can watch it change as speeds and driving conditions vary. I love having it, it taught me to drive for economy.

It's depressing to see it dip down into single digits while trying to maintain speed on a steep grade, but entertaining to watch it rise to 99mpg while coasting down the other side.

There's a 3-4mpg difference when I go 60mph as opposed to 70mph. Although this is when the roads are clear. I find I get better mileage while moving in heavy, but fast moving, traffic. I assume becasue the number of cars has stirred the air so much that wind resistance is cut down.

It's funny, people bitch about high gas prices, and how thier car doesn't get mileage as advertised, yet zip around at 80mph all day.