General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Need for Concern?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008 | 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Need for Concern?

While I was at work last night, a co-worker was talking to be about an article they read in the Baltimore Sun newspaper a while ago. She claimed that the aticle was about how Chevrolet is going to be cancelling the production of the Corvette in coming years, and the automobiule industry in general will be cutting back on sports cars due to emission concerns from the government and and rising fuel prices.

Is there any truth to that?
Old 01-16-2008 | 09:10 AM
Teching In

ive heard that rumor that a c7 wont be made because it wouldnt be able to comply with the EPA MPG standards by that year. I think it was 2012ish and it'd have to make like 32 or 35 MPG highway. Im really not sure if theres any truth in this at all tho
Old 01-16-2008 | 09:35 AM
TECH Regular

they're just blowing smoke. Corvette is a $$ maker, they'll find a way to release one, even if it's different than they hoped for. Heck, if things get tough, they could always shove a high powered V6 in a lightweight model
Old 01-16-2008 | 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rhedalert
they're just blowing smoke. Corvette is a $$ maker, they'll find a way to release one, even if it's different than they hoped for. Heck, if things get tough, they could always shove a high powered V6 in a lightweight model
So you mean, a V6 model and then V8 models also?

it would be cool to see a V6 s/c or twin turbo...
Old 01-16-2008 | 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

I didn't think they were going to cancel the Vette after reading the article. GM would have to reduce the power level of the C7 to meet MPG requirements set by the government. Who knows what that will be.
Old 01-16-2008 | 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 01-16-2008 | 11:33 AM
On The Tree

I've also heard a couple of my buddies say this. I've got a new theory on this. Maybe since the new camaro is coming out they are going to take a few years off from the vette and make the camaro the top dog. That way if the camaro turns out to be faster it won't down play the vette. I haven't read up on the camaro much so maybe my theory is nonsense.
Old 01-16-2008 | 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

The problem I have with this whole thing is that the Vette has been around since 1953. They cant just end it now. I mean there are only 2 cars still aound since the muscle car era (meaning never discontinued/cancelled at all), those being the Corvette and the Mustang. If they cancel the Corvette it would be a big blow to the American car industry as well as the public.
Old 01-16-2008 | 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry for the double post, but here is a link concerning this issue:

"Beginning of the End"

http://www.corvetteconti.com/blog/?p=1825

But then I found this....

"Here to Stay"

http://www.corvetteconti.com/blog/?p=1933
Old 01-16-2008 | 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont think the corvette will disappear, or any other existing sports car for that matter. All the auto manufacurers need to do is get their fleet to average 35mpg, not every car. So what you will start seeing is the average family cars and vans and possibly light duty suv's get a big boost in fuel efficency while the sports cars such as the corvette, viper, camaro etc get a little boost if any in fuel economy. But just as long as the fleet can average out to 35mpg then all is good. Thats just what I think though. Could be wrong..
Old 01-16-2008 | 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh well. So the day after you buy one of these gas sipping vettes you install a procharger and voila!