General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

need help deciding on car

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 2000 formula M6 with ported t/b, ported maf, lid, k&n, cold air, and slp y-pipe, and i get 20-21 around town and 28-30 on the highway, on the stock tune still
Old 01-22-2008, 03:17 PM
Staging Lane

My 03 Corvette gets 30 mph on the highway when cruising in 6th. I average about 18 mpg.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Texfinn
To each his/her own, of course. To me 100K is not a big issue, as long as everything on the car checks out fine. And as long as you are not expecting to buy a flawless vehicle.

If you are on a budget, a decent car, IMO, is something around 100K miles but still in good shape.

Sure, snow/salt etc. takes a toll on a vehicle, but there are still quite a few areas in the country where those are not a problem.

Case in point: A couple of weeks ago I bought a 98 M6 TA w/117K miles from a member on this board (it was for sale in the classifieds here) and drove it from Florida to Texas without a hitch. Car has only a few minor scratches, new clutch/master/slave, new brakes, no weird noises, clean CarFax, clean interior, WS6 hood, almost new tires, does not leak any fluids etc. etc.

For $7K I think that was a pretty good buy.
I very much agree. excellent post.

the 100+k mile thing doesn't worry me at all. every vehicle I've owned have went over 100k and not any real problems, just maintenance. I'm thinking if I get one with about 110k miles, stockish, great shape, I'll only drive it about 15k miles a year and in about two or three years I'll have the money to rebuild everything.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
I DD'd my old blue TA (h/c 98 LS1) everyday until 156k when I sold it, it never flinched, never an issue. It always started right up, never got stranded with it or anything. Now the white TA has 101k on it, H/C makes more power, and zero issues with that car. Its all in how they were treated.
wow. you've came a long ways with that TA. I guess you couldn't get it sold so you decided to keep it? lol. it looks slick. you're not much of an aftermarket hood fan are ya?