General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

deciding my future... advice plz

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 07:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I decided as a high school student to buy a high mileage camaro and all of my mod money i gathered all ended up going into replacing part after part that just kept breaking on me. Few years later it is just sitting waiting for a rebuild because it is not practical to drive everyday anymore, so i had to be another car to commute with. See where I'm going? 6k won't get you a LS1 F-body in good shape, ready for driving for the next few years without good money invested even after the purchase price. 6k will get you a decent LT1 F-body after some good research and looking. I always wanted a 4th gen but had to start with a thirdgen camaro first, then reselling and adding more money until I had enough for an ls1. All I'm saying is at your age you want a car that you can depend on and not have a catastrophic failure on your limited budget hands.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by venomhp
honestly dude...keep the v6 save your cash and drive your car and do all the dumbass things we do with cars when were that young on the v6...graduate college and get a good job and get yourself a very respectable v8 because you earned it. a car payment and high insurance on a high school or a college student combined with the addiction to modifying it and going through tires and parts is the exact opposite of what you need right now.

I had to buy my first car and pay all my bills and I made the mistake of gettin a 96 z28 and working for my addiction...I didnt save up enough money for college so now Im in the military. Theres thousands of different roads to take and all can be successful if you keep at it. but right now stay with the good mpg car that looks decent, have fun and study hard in school to where you can afford to play. just my .02 anyway

Very good advise......I spend a ton of money on cars when I was young, wish I would have saved it now!!!
Old 01-22-2008, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Instead of rebuilding the 3.8, get a GM replacement engine for $2400 ~ $2500 - they come with a 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty. While the engine is out, drop the trans off for a rebuild (less than $1K). So for ~ $4500 (that's including the price of the car), you'll have a car that should get you through your years of school reliably, and still have money left over for other stuff that will come up (brakes, alignment, tires).
Old 01-22-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Personally I would not put money into the V6. Ive been there and its not worth it. You could always get an LT1, that would be a good car to start with. You could also just wait longer until you have some much money. Plus, if you are planning on buying in 1.5-2 years who knows where prices will be on F-Bodys, there are already some good deals out there, you just have to look.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just get ya a z28
Old 01-22-2008, 12:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I would just drive the v6 for the time being. While doing so you can save money and eventually buy the car you really want.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I graduated college 5 years ago and honestly with your amount of income I think you'd be better off just keep the V6 or sale it and get something else that is reliable. I drove my 89 Ranger in HS and then took to 5 years of college it was a pile of **** but who cares. One thing I noticed in college you probably will not be driving the car nearly as much as you would in HS. Your going to be busy going to house parties and such that are close to campus and guess how you get there....by walking. In college just about everyone there couldn't care less of what kinda of car you have anyway. I would concentrate on working as little as you can during college and still get by. Your going to want to have as much free time as possible to hang out with friends and drink your *** off. Oh yea don't forget to keep the grades up too. I guess this all assumes that you are going to live on or near by the campus.

When you graduate you can buy one or more nice cars. For example I drove the 89 ranger into the ground but when I graduated in 2002 i bought a brand WS6 then about 2 years later I bought a brand new 05 F150 and my wife also had a PS car in college and then she bought a 2006 Accord. So now we have 3 pretty nice rides and a house full of goodies. Take it or leave but that is what I would due in your shoes( I guess it's actually what I did
Old 01-22-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

ride the v6 out through college and when you get a good full time job you'll be able to get what you want not just what you can afford
Old 01-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Staging Lane

after thinking about it, I think I'm just gonna have the engine rebuilt and maybe the trans, if it needs it. The car is just in too good of shape to really pass up. the only thing that is wrong with it is a small place on the passenger side door where the paint is peeling away. when that gets fixed and the rest of the car painted, you cant tell it has 165k on it. the frame has road wear and stuff on it, but no major rust (yet, knock on wood). Im thinking I can put under 4k into it and have a really nice car for college. it still gets atleast 25mpg, and with a rebuild it may be better. if not, atleast it'll run good. as long as it gets me home from BGSU every few months, I'll be happy. my mom really babied this car for 7 years, and its only been driven somewhat hard since I started driving it. and thats only occasionally. I dont race it or anything, I just get on it every now and then, and maybe do a nice burnout when the roads are wet.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As some of the others have said, I'd drive the V6 for now as reliable transportation is a must. I'd save your excess earnings and that which doesn't go to the typical college kid expenses (ummm, beer, food, etc.), I'd put towards the purchase of a LS1 when you graduate. I can assure you that the last thing you want to be strapped with in your first couple years of college is a car payment and insurance payment that suck up a large part of your disposable income.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Question

Originally Posted by Camaro_94
Buy the camaro for 1K, part it out for more money, save up so then you'll have ur 5k left over, Then buy a LS1 F-Body with the money you'll make from parting it out.. I'd imagine you could make at least $2,000 in parts if not a little more.

Its not worth putting $5,000 towards a V6 with 190,000 miles on it..
there is no way you could get 2000 from parting out a v6 and even if you could what would he drive then
Old 01-22-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldnt even get it painted. Just save all your cash. If your getting this thing for 1000 bucks, just take care of it and drive it. Save all your loots.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in this same situation just last month deciding whether I wanted to buy a LT1 or LS1 or just go ahead and buy my dads 99 V6 Bird for 2k. When reality finally came through it showed there was no way I being 16 just getting my liscence and still in high school could afford a V8. It just was not practical between gas, insurance, and repairs there was no way I could afford it. The V6 has plenty of power that can get you into a plenty of trouble. If I were you I'd stick with the V6 and get a V8 when your older.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

its possible, if you happened to have somebody who needed like every piece of sheet metal, and all of the little hard to find parts. but, honestly many ppl, including myself wouldnt have the time or patience to do that.. and besides, what would I drive??? definitely not the 84 rusted out pickup that gets 8mpg... haha
Old 01-22-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

im a freshmen in college now. i got my Z for 7800, i pay 200 a month for it. insurance my dad helped me with cuz i have a pos car im insured on and i pay 500 for the year for the z in his name. i dont work except in the summer and i use that money to pay for the car all year and running money. if u look around u can find some good deals on a used z. i got a 2000 with 95k on the clock, loaded, in great shape for 7800 cuz he needed to sell the car and his bike quick to close on a house. unless your trying to pay out of pocket for your schooling i think you can do it. mine is all loans and grants, im gonna owe a lot, but im havin fun and ill deal with it later when i start out at 50k plus.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

yea, im hoping to get most of college paid for with scholarships and stuff. i definitely go the grades for something, anyway. and w/e is left if gonna be paid with a loan. besides, like you said, it wont be so bad when we're making around 50k at age 23-24.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol 50k a year really isnt that much! its a good start and a huge change from college, but get yourself a nice house or apt, then once you have all of your bills figured out and utilities and everything else accounted for, figure out what you can spend. then get yourself what you have been waiting for.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would save up my money, buy the V6 for $1000 when you graduate...then turn around and sell it. You'll make some more money off that, then I'd wait around until I found a kickass deal on a V8. You don't want to spend the whole chunk on the car. **** comes up and you'll have tax, etc to pay. You always want to have some extra money put up.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And even a cheap LT1 would be better than a V6. I HATED my V6. Everytime I drove it I just felt like I didn't have any *****. And I know the car didn't.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by venomhp
lol 50k a year really isnt that much! its a good start and a huge change from college, but get yourself a nice house or apt, then once you have all of your bills figured out and utilities and everything else accounted for, figure out what you can spend. then get yourself what you have been waiting for.
its a lot when your parents only make about 65k combined... and dad has been at his job for 20 years...

And even a cheap LT1 would be better than a V6. I HATED my V6. Everytime I drove it I just felt like I didn't have any *****. And I know the car didn't.
yea, but while you feel crappy next to another muscle car, you still feel like God next to hondas and other little 4 bangers...