General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How much HP without CAM???

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 08:08 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question How much HP without CAM???

I was just wondering what the most HP I can get expect without getting a cam. I dont really have the money to pay someone to do the cam work and Im just to big of a newb and scared to mess somthin up to do it myself.
Thanks
Jake
Old 01-22-2008, 09:04 AM
TECH Junkie

every possible bolt on...including intake, rockers, electric water pump, exhaust, and all the other things.

i'd think you could squeeze 350-360rwhp with a GOOD tune out of a stock h/c ls1.

but you'll spend $1000 in parts to get parts (that you could install) to make that last 10-15hp.
when you could have a cam installed for about that and make 30+hp
Old 01-22-2008, 09:22 AM
Launching!

Im sure I could get the CAM in with some help from my friends and dad but I dont even know what I should buy. I would want a kit with everything I would need. I have heard that they are around $450-$500 which isnt bad ...But ive heard people saying It would cost upward of $900 to have installed.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think your on the right track now...
just get all your bolt ons and get familiarized with your motor while those are going on. then later down the road if yo ufeel comfortable enough by then you can get a cam and do the work yourself. there is a great write up on ls1howto.com that walks you through the entire process.

look at it this way, you need bolt ons anyway if you want power, with or without a cam. so do those now. you dont have to change those if you get a cam, so just get them anyway. and if you change your mind later, the internal engine section will always be here for ya.....
Old 01-22-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As stated above, you should be able to get to 350 - 360 rwhp with full bolt ons. While the cost of the bolts on will likely be similar to the cost of a cam and install, they do lay a nice foundation for future mods. I'd start with basic bolt ons and later on (when you have the extra $$$) go get heads/cam/tune and you should be able to better leverage the benefits of the bolt on upgrades you installed a while back.