General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Got a new DD/insurance

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got a new DD/insurance

I have had my camaro for about the last five months and have had to use it as my DD becuase its all I had. Today I found a great deal on an old nissan pick-up truck. Now that I finally have a new dd I can stop putting so many miles and stuff on my car. I plan on only driving it on weekends and really nice days. now im trying to figure out what Im going to do as far as insurance. I can barely afford the insurance on the camaro the way it is and was wanting to know if there is some kind of insurance you cant put on a car that get drivin only minimal days- like less than a certian amount of miles per year. I didnt know if any of you guys have had experience with this and what the best way to do it. I might take insurance off the car till winter is over but in the spring and summer I want to beable to get the Z out whenever I feel the urge.

Thanks for any input/advice I know many of you have to suffer the hefty insurance bill like me and like any saving I can get to put toward mods.
-Jake
Old 01-27-2008, 08:45 PM
11 Second Club

Chances are you will probably save enough $$ by having that as your primary driver to pay for itself. Put the pickup as a primary driver, the Camaro as a "pleasure vehicle", and combined with multiple vehicle discount it will probably not raise your rates. My rates actually lowered by adding a vehicle.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy had an S R T 4, he bought an 800 dollar Saturn and his rates went down 80 a month
Old 01-28-2008, 05:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are not going to drive the Z for a few months, like winter time....you can remove coll. and liability and carry only comp coverage, that will save you a lot of money. Most companies will only add coll. and liab. back on for a minimum of 30 days. I did have one company that allowed me to drive my car a few times w/o adding coverage back to my policy.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:56 PM
Launching!

thanks for the help guys, I will see if I can get them to do somthing for me. Its a local place so maybe they will help me out.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

If its a local place go talk to them and see what they can do. If you get both of them on the same policy you could end up like others who actually saw a drop in rates.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm 19 with a 97 Prelude and a 98 Z28, I pay 233/mo for full coverage on both vehicles.