General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Messed up Camaro!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Messed up Camaro!!!

As the title says, I messed up my Camaro today. I was on my way to work when I spun it out and into a soy bean field. I could hear my car smashing up against all the hard blocks of frozen dirt. I get out to look at the damage and see that I have a passenger front tire that is flat, most likely the bead just seperated from the rim letting the air out. I then move on to the back of the car and see that the passenger side rear wheel is jammed up in the wheel well and the driver side is about a foot away from the wheel well. The good news is, I wasn't hurt nor the body of the car. I just had 4 tires put on it last week and at least I have the warranty on them.

It sucks, because I have a $1,000 deductable on my insurance with Progressive. I will have it towed in about an hour when the tow truck arrives and that is when I will take some pictures with my camra phone and post them on here. I am so pissed off right now. I even took it real slow to avoid this whole situation. I was going 25mph and lost it in a real slippery spot. I had to drive it, because it is the only car I have right now. I guess it is a good thing it is tax time. I will be on later to post some pictures. BTW, the car is scheduled to be in the shop first thing on Monday morning and I will ocassionaly update everybody on the situation at hand. Thanks for hearing me out on this sad sad thing!
Old 02-02-2008, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

That really sucks man, Lost it a 25 MPH? Do you have bald tires or something? And next time I would put a **** load of weight along with winter tires if you have to take the Camaro out. Good luck with fixing the damage and hopefully nothing beside the rims are bent up.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

black ice is a cars worst enemy..and for a rwd car its the devil
Old 02-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I lost it at 25mph and I have brand new tires on it that I had put on last week and I also have my tool box in the back which ways about 60 pounds. The problem was I hit a patch of ice and lost control. That is no crap about the black ice. I watched every car that went over that exact area and every single one of them lost traction! Go figure.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:56 PM
TECH Regular

that sucks man

keep us posted
Old 02-02-2008, 01:02 PM
11 Second Club

WHERE IS YOUR ASR GOD NOW?!

sorry to hear that man, I hope everything goes good for you and you can get that beast up and running again.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Teching In

lol about the ASR God. That is what I was looking at the whole time I was sliding. It took it until the time I was entirely sideways until the "low trac" light lit up.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1_Rob
lol about the ASR God. That is what I was looking at the whole time I was sliding. It took it until the time I was entirely sideways until the "low trac" light lit up.
figures, but as soon as you try to race somebody and forget to turn it off, "low trac"
Old 02-02-2008, 04:24 PM
12 Second Club

That sucks man, that is why mine is sitting in the garage until all that damn ice is gone, gotta love rear wheel, light *** end, with a lot of power never a good combo for the winter!
Old 02-02-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

yep thats the only time my asr works is when i dont want it to. really embarassing when you go to do a burn out and forget to turn it off.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by foreverzero
figures, but as soon as you try to race somebody and forget to turn it off, "low trac"
so so true

to the OP sorry to hear bout the ride man
Old 02-02-2008, 08:10 PM
Teching In

Well, I got some good news and bad news. I got it towed out of the field and it must have been just the way the car was sitting on the clups of dirt making it look strange on top of the flat front tire. I work at Wal-Mart Tire and Lube Express and I had to work till 8 tonight, so I took my wheel with the flat tire with me and I cleaned all the mud and rocks off of it and I aired the tire up and it held the pressure with no leaks! Now the bad news, I went to balance the tire and it kinda looked like it was slightly bent.

It is not the stock rims, it is the snowflake ones or 10 spoke with the chrome plating. I am wondering if the other ones are bent now too. I guess I will just put it back on the car and tell the insurance adjuster to have the shop look at all the wheels and make sure that they are true and not bent.

Anyways, I didn't take any pictures yet and I will post a picture tomorrow indicating what little bit of body damage that accured. It is a piece of the bumper where it wraps into the wheel well and it cracked it, but you can't tell unless you look into the passenger front wheel well. Thanks for all your guys support and I will keep you posted!
Old 02-03-2008, 03:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For everyone------

Stop driving F-Bodies in the snow.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02 BLK WS6
For everyone------

Stop driving F-Bodies in the snow.
Yes, it's the only time when you wish your car didn't have as much torque as it does.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Teching In

Here is a picture that shows where the fender meets the wheel well on the passenger front side: http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g.../Brokentab.jpg

Here is a picture that shows a big paint chip: http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g.../Paintchip.jpg

I did not find out about the big paint chip until I went to wash the mud off of the car today and then I saw it. This royally sucks and it is also dented there also.

I really wish I could stop driving my car in the snow, but right now it is the only car I have. I have already decided that once I get some money saved up, I am buying something else to drive when it gets bad out. This was just too much.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02 BLK WS6
For everyone------

Stop driving F-Bodies in the snow. ...OR LEARN HOW TO DRIVE
Fixed it for ya!
Old 02-03-2008, 07:56 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Big paint chip my ***, thats a thick piece of plastic filler. holy ****. Not the first wreck huh?
Old 02-03-2008, 11:23 PM
Teching In

No, it is not my first wreck, why do you ask? I did not know if that was a paint chip or a thin layer of plastic that was painted, obviously the paint is gone, which makes it noticeable and I didn't know, I don't make these cars. I am an auto tech not a body shop expert. As for the comment on how to drive these cars, the car was lost on black ice that was later melted due to the 50 degree weather. I first got my license in winter and know how to drive in the weather, this is my first wreck in the winter. So, since you seem to know about this being plastic filler, you have any idea as to what the cost would be to have that fixed?
Old 02-03-2008, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

thatd be pretty cheap, should be under 200 bucks, but body shops are different everywhere you go. for learning how to drive...black ice is black ice and it will throw you anywhere it wants to no matter who the hell you are or what your driving... he wasnt going fast and theres not much damage. Id say its time to buy a 1000 beater 4x4 for the winter and lock up your car!
Old 02-03-2008, 11:54 PM
10 Second Club

thats a bottom side rocker....it should be sheetmetal with some paint NOOOO filler of any kinda.......so basicly you wrecked your car and now know its been wrecked before......

that sucks dude

Quick Reply: Messed up Camaro!!!