General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Just did the Waterpump on my 98 t/a

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just did the Waterpump on my 98 t/a

so after 1 week of ownership, i decided to do the waterpump on my 98 t/a.

the weep hole was weeping slightly and that type of thing is not a sign of good news.

i installed a Napa Reman unit and i was pretty pleased with the installation. my only 2 issues were the following:

1. the old paper gasket was totally FUSED to the motor. it took me 1.5 hours with a gentle razor blade and scotchbrite to remove them without damaging the serface.

2. upon completion i had a MASSIVE air bubble in the block. i eliminated this by removing and grounding the temp sending unit for the gauge and ran the motor until coolant came out of the hole.

how have you guys dealt with those above issues?
Old 02-04-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, a thing I was taught, and use on evey car I work on, I always use the gasket sealant and attach it to the water pump, so the block always stays clean and you save all that time scraping, and reducing the risk of nicking the block. I just burped the car by raising the front, filling it up, using a rad. cap w/ a hole in it, and a funnel that can fit into the hole and seal tightly, i fill the funnel up also, and start the car w/ the heater on the lowest fan speed for the vents. Then I run it till it keeps blowing consistant heat, the fans kick on, and the thermostat opens. Just remember to watch that funnel and don't let it empty. Then after all of that, I let it cool w/ the funnel still having some coolant in it. As the car cools, it will suck a little more coolant from the funnel. Then, cap it, start it, pop it in gear, and put the pedal to the floor
Old 02-04-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackDuk98
Well, a thing I was taught, and use on evey car I work on, I always use the gasket sealant and attach it to the water pump, so the block always stays clean and you save all that time scraping, and reducing the risk of nicking the block. I just burped the car by raising the front, filling it up, using a rad. cap w/ a hole in it, and a funnel that can fit into the hole and seal tightly, i fill the funnel up also, and start the car w/ the heater on the lowest fan speed for the vents. Then I run it till it keeps blowing consistant heat, the fans kick on, and the thermostat opens. Just remember to watch that funnel and don't let it empty. Then after all of that, I let it cool w/ the funnel still having some coolant in it. As the car cools, it will suck a little more coolant from the funnel. Then, cap it, start it, pop it in gear, and put the pedal to the floor
i hear ya... when i reinstalled the gasket i used the rubber type, and did the sealant method.

my issue with the air bubble was that the stat would not open because the block was near dry. by removing that sensor i was able to burp the block.

here's a question though... to those with the 180 stat... have you reprogrammed to make the fans come on at a colder temp?>
Old 02-04-2008, 01:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BadGTho
i hear ya... when i reinstalled the gasket i used the rubber type, and did the sealant method.

my issue with the air bubble was that the stat would not open because the block was near dry. by removing that sensor i was able to burp the block.

here's a question though... to those with the 180 stat... have you reprogrammed to make the fans come on at a colder temp?>
I have the stock stat and my fans are tuned to pop on at 160
Old 02-04-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gaunt
I have the stock stat and my fans are tuned to pop on at 160
ok, so that's the exact opposite of my issue