General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Modding decision

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modding decision

alright, so i have a 00 SS with 30k on it and its absolutely perfect, its completely stock. i've been tossing around the idea of modding it but i'm also thinking of down the road, in my eyes this is a low mile car, and i don't want to decrease its value, but i don't know if my thinking is correct. i mean is it worth trying to keep a nice stock low mile car. or is there a ton out there with these miles and its not really worth any more money in stock form? i feel the need for more power so its kindof a toss-up for me, so i'm wondering what you guys think on the subject.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mod it .. your low mileage is great but if you want extra power, go for it. it won't depreciate your car much as these cars haven't been in production for 6 years now so go for it!
Old 02-10-2008, 12:21 AM
TECH Regular

You can do things like lid, LS6 intake, rocker arms or small cam, pulley, etc.. that will not change the appearance much and still drive like a stocker until you get on it.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mod that som a bitch!!!
Old 02-10-2008, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

I could never justify shelling out that monthly payment for a car I wasn't driving
Old 02-10-2008, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

make it how you want it, i just bought a 01 z28 M6 with 29k miles, it has lid and thats about it but i like it how it is, the only thing im doing is adding security with ravelco system and maybe headers, y pipe and catback, but it sounds good the way it is too so im not sure about that
Old 02-10-2008, 09:52 AM
12 Second Club

mod it, rather it be small or big mods. just do it. and please drive the damn thing, enjoy it!!!!!
Old 02-10-2008, 11:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fedman06
i don't want to decrease its value, but i don't know if my thinking is correct. i mean is it worth trying to keep a nice stock low mile car.
No. No point in really keeping it a nice stock car. There are PLENTY of other things to invest in if you're looking to make a profit. You're talking about decreasing it's value? What is your plan to do with the car? Sit on it for 25 years, do absolutely no mods to it, don't drive it and hope somebody is looking for a classic car "in a barn" type deal and pay out the nose for it? Let's just say you paid $15K for it. Are you trying to make it turn into $30K in 25 years or something? Invest in the stock market or put money into an IRA if you're looking for financial gain. Keeping a car bone stock as an "investment" is worthless IMO. Mod it up.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
No. No point in really keeping it a nice stock car. There are PLENTY of other things to invest in if you're looking to make a profit. You're talking about decreasing it's value? What is your plan to do with the car? Sit on it for 25 years, do absolutely no mods to it, don't drive it and hope somebody is looking for a classic car "in a barn" type deal and pay out the nose for it? Let's just say you paid $15K for it. Are you trying to make it turn into $30K in 25 years or something? Invest in the stock market or put money into an IRA if you're looking for financial gain. Keeping a car bone stock as an "investment" is worthless IMO. Mod it up.
THIS IS THE BEST ADVICE EVER GIVEN ON LS1TECH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2008, 04:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

^ I'm with him. Another choice is do some mods that can be reversed and keep it simple if you're worried about it. Your chance of selling it on Barrett Jackson in 20 years for that cool 600k-1,000,000 are probably pretty slim. Enjoy the car that's what it was built for.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely mod it, and keep the OEM parts if you're that concerned about getting your money back. If you decide to sell the car, return it to stock, and sell your mods.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
couldnt have said it better
Old 02-11-2008, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

good advice, why have it and not drive it? mod it up enjoy it. there awsome cars.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

If you just do bolt-on mods it will be very easy to put back to completely stock. I left mine stock for one year and it was boooorrriing. Put on some longtubes and GMMG exhaust and there's no way you will be able to just let the car sit there; it will be WAY too much fun to drive!
Old 02-11-2008, 12:30 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car had 10k miles on it when I bought it last fall. I have already done quite a few bolt ons and have a cam waiting to be installed. The car has 14k on it now and is sitting for the winter. I paid a nice chunk for this car and I'll be damned if it is just going to sit around just so I can keep the miles down. I drive my cars and drive them a lot. I bought an LT1 Z four years ago with 31k on it. It was perfect. I sold it last summer with 73k on it. I drove that bitch and plan on doing the same with this car. Mod it, drive it, enjoy it. Driving my car is one of the most enjoyable things for me to do.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cars are not an investment (At least not a good one). It is a toy, and should be enjoyed as such. Not to mention, i don't think F-bodys are gonna ever gonna be a sought after classic because GM just made to many of them. Drive it like ya stole it!
Old 02-11-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
Mod that som a bitch!!!
Once you start you can't stop
Old 02-11-2008, 03:46 PM
10 Second Sleeper Club

Mod the hell out of it and keep your stock parts if you change your mind (thaTS WHAT i DID). These cars are made to be RUN once they are freed from stock restrictions. Love my little 11 sec beast to death as my daily driver and weekend track car.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by landonew
Cars are not an investment (At least not a good one). It is a toy, and should be enjoyed as such. Not to mention, i don't think F-bodys are gonna ever gonna be a sought after classic because GM just made to many of them. Drive it like ya stole it!
What a dumb statement, you know like over 150,000 Camaros were made per year back in the day. Ours are low production compared to other generations.

F-bodys will be a sought after classic, in 25-40 years. So unless you plan on keeping it low miles for that much more time, just mod it. Even if you mod the **** out of it, the real value will be in the motor still having the original block.

Collectible cars are all about having number matching motors and cars. Nobody will care if you have headers on it in 30 years, the value difference will be null and void. The only way a perfectly stock car would be worth more is if it was 100% down to every detail stock and VERY low miles. Otherwise your car will still be collectible in 30 years.

Besides, when is the last time you saw a 1970 Chevelle for sale and somebody said "How many miles are on it?"

Edit: No matter what ANYBODY says, ANY sports car that was at one time desirable will be worth money when it is very old in very good condition.