General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

SLP lid

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4get gto
I can't understand why we pay $100 for somthing that does'nt fit and we take it with a smile on our faces........
Hairdryer this and that. Clips that don't stay fastened. Shave this and sand that. WTF.

Can't they make something that fits ???????????
Extra horsepower, and look...

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Hair dryer use is a result of impatience. Take your time, and the lid will fit without any modification.
After 2 hours of trying without a hairdryer, anyone would get impatient...
Old 02-20-2008, 04:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last three posts proves it........... It.don't ****** fit right.........
Oh well!!! Don't buy it if it doesn't fit! Use your stock lid! I just bought one and I will probably have to struggle to get it to fit nice and snug. But I will be happy with the extra 5 hp it gives me.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Eh after spending 2 hours completing all the installation for the SLP cold air flowpack, the actual SLP lip clipped right on... took all of a minute.

+1 for the look. I love the look of seeing that SLP as you open the hood.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just play with it and you'll get it..

I do hope that your lid doesn't rub your hood like mine..

I had the underside of my hood painted and cleared and then got the SLP lid and it rubs pretty good, leaving a spot in my clear and on the top of my lid..
Old 02-25-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

I can't understand why we pay $100 for somthing that does'nt fit and we take it with a smile on our faces........
Hairdryer this and that. Clips that don't stay fastened. Shave this and sand that. WTF.

Can't they make something that fits ???????????
the reason the lid is so hard to put own is because its an air tight seal, its not going to just slide right on. as for the clips not fastening and the lid rubbing on the hood, that i cant explain, you think by now they would have something better but whatever i guess it is after market.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:44 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,272 Posts

I have an SLP lid on my '02 car, and a Whisper lid on my '98 car.

Whisper is definitely the better fitting and better looking lid. There is NO WAY that anyone would have gotten that SLP lid on my stock MAF without a hairdryer. No way at all. Took quite a bit of heating to get it on. But once installed, the tabs have never popped off.

Whisper fits with no problems at all. The rubber seal works great and seals perfect. Also, the Whisper looks better (IMO), I like the glossy black finish....it gives the engine bay a little more flashy look. The SLP lid just looks dull to me, though the plastic would probably hold up under more stress than Whisper. But I've never used my lid to lean on or anything, so I don't really care much about that.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Resident

it says it right in the directions, ahahahah
Old 02-25-2008, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I have an SLP lid on my '02 car, and a Whisper lid on my '98 car.

Whisper is definitely the better fitting and better looking lid. There is NO WAY that anyone would have gotten that SLP lid on my stock MAF without a hairdryer. No way at all. Took quite a bit of heating to get it on. But once installed, the tabs have never popped off.

Whisper fits with no problems at all. The rubber seal works great and seals perfect. Also, the Whisper looks better (IMO), I like the glossy black finish....it gives the engine bay a little more flashy look. The SLP lid just looks dull to me, though the plastic would probably hold up under more stress than Whisper. But I've never used my lid to lean on or anything, so I don't really care much about that.
I agree with what you're saying about getting the SLP lid on the MAF without heat. It made it much easier to slide it on.