General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

My mother doesn't believe that trans ams/f-bodies aren't good in the snow. back me up

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 01:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 01FbTaWs6
its simple man, take your mom out and tell her to drive your car around in the next snow storm. Thats all it will take, they suck ***** in the snow.
..................I would imagine, since they are **** in rain even.....
Old 02-23-2008, 02:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
..................I would imagine, since they are **** in rain even.....
What kind of tire are you running? My GSD3s have no problem in the rain.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:38 AM
TECH Resident

Throw Nittos on all 4 corners and give it juuuust enough gas around a corner while the roads are wet and cold (won't take much) while she's in the car... she'll know you won't have a chance in the snow.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:34 AM
Launching!

I have bf goodrich kdws's on my lt1 and its a PITA to drive in even the rain...more than 1/4 throttle at 35mph and it wants to go sideways on me....I can't even imagine driving it in the snow.

Of course putting some weight in the back would help...but still...why risk it?

If you can afford to get a beater for bad weather go for it
Old 02-23-2008, 08:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by oneBADDz
Ouch, I didn't say I drive it in the snow anymore, nor that you suck, not that it isn't ok to have a beater. I simply stood up for the fbody and it's ability to make it around safely, and I cut down those who blame the car for their 360 degree spins into traffic going the other way.
Sorry dude. I guess I gotta little torqued up!
Old 02-24-2008, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A F-body and the snow just don't mix!

When I was in NJ, I had a Corvette and a beater for a second car. The Vette didn't come out in the winter because it was a complete waste. Same deal with the SS....I didn't even consider purchasing another rear wheel drive toy until I moved to Atlanta (where snow isn't an issue).
Old 02-25-2008, 12:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

If it snows, I dont even try to take the TA out of the driveway, cause i know its pretty much pointless. Id rather be safe than sorry.

A F-body and the snow just don't mix!

Aint that that the truth
Old 02-25-2008, 03:07 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not the car I would choose for the snow.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely not a car that I would drive in the snow. RWD with a high horsepower engine, & wide tires that are Z-rated does not make a very good combination. A few days ago I decided to take my camaro for a drive since it was sunny, the main & side roads were bare and but my driveway was covered with snow and ice - didn't get too far as the car wanted to spin sideways once I was on the driveway. I managed to get the car off the driveway, but it took abit of effort. I can imagine how bad it would have been to drive these cars in snow & ice.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:08 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Sorry, but I can't help you with your argument.

My 2001 Formula is my daily driver. I drive it in all weather including snow. In the winter I use Blizzak WS-50 tires on cheap steel wheels. I have better traction/control with that setup on that car than any front-wheel-drive car with all-season tires. I've driven in snow high enough that opening the door plowed it. You just need experience and steady control. I like driving it in the snow. I rather drive in snow than rain. Its more predictable and visibility is better. My parents saw how good my snow tires worked out for me that they bought equivalent snow tires for their cars and my brother's car.

BTW, if you are interested in snow tires, TireRack (a sponsor) has package deals that include tires & wheels mounted/balanced/delivered for a good price. That is how I got my first set. I'm on my second of tires now that I got from Sullivan Tire (local company). Also, I think the Blizzak WS-50 tires were discontinued and replaced with the WS-60. The WS-50 is rated to only 99MPH, but I think the WS-60 has a slightly higher speed rating. The tread pattern is also slightly different, but from what I've seen, they are otherwise the same (unless the article I read was wrong). There are other snow tires (from Blizzak and other companies) with higher speed ratings, but they trade some of their snow/ice grip for high speed rating. In the winter, I'd rather have higher snow/ice grip than a higher speed rating.

Last edited by VIP1; 02-26-2008 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:28 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,239 Posts

I would never drive my F-bodies in the snow. Not because it can't be done (it very well can be), but just because I'd rather not tear them up with the high speed salt bath I get in my DD every day on the highway for 4-5 months of the year.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

WOW is all I have to say. I only read the first page of posts, but all the people saying an F-body is "ok" or even "manageable" in the snow needs to not post that crap anymore. They must think ok = driving 10mph the whole trip, and preying there isnt a hill anywhere in sight.

I used to own a 00 Z28 before I got my 02. It was an M6 hardtop with no options ( means no trac control ). I had the stock wheels and tires on it. I was caught in a sudden snow squall and ended up driving over around half and inch of wet snow. Every time I would even go more than 10% throttle the back end would start to slide out. Every stoplight I came to was a pain in the rear, as I had to start out in 2nd gear and go painfully slow. The FWD people behind me went right up my *** the whole time and wondered why I wasn't going faster than 15mph. I got to a big hill before my house and had to apply more gas to make it up , the back end slid left and right the whole way up. Don't even get me started about the curve at the end of the road.

In short, DONT DRIVE A FING CAMARO OR FIREBIRD IN THE SNOW!!!!! Tell your mom to put a down-payment on the hospital bills if she thinks buying a FWD snow car is dumb. I mean, if your paying for it wtf is the problem?
Old 02-26-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool

Originally Posted by LMV
nobody drives a trans am in winter up in canada- those who do end up with rusted out, dinged out winter beater car

i purchase mine a couple weeks ago and waited probably a week or so til the roads were completely clear of ice and snow until i drove it home.
the next day we got 3" of snow. I wanted to wash it before putting it in storage but i couldn't get out of the driveway

anyway, winter is a terrible time to learn to drive a powerful rwd car

WAIT TIL SPRING!

just my 0.02cent- canadian cents at that
In Vancouver we do--no snow.[8 days this year/few inches]....
Old 02-26-2008, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ZeroFear
WOW is all I have to say. I only read the first page of posts, but all the people saying an F-body is "ok" or even "manageable" in the snow needs to not post that crap anymore. They must think ok = driving 10mph the whole trip, and preying there isnt a hill anywhere in sight.
boohoo, so you can't drive like a maniac in your camaro for part of the year. Driving cautiously in inclimate weather is not going to kill you...it'll do the opposite.

Are there better cars to drive in the snow with? Yes
Will your precious f-body do a triple somersault with a half twist into a ditch if you take it out in snowy weather? Not if you leave prepared (i.e good tires, sand the trunk, common sense, etc etc).
Old 02-26-2008, 04:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,239 Posts

I used to own a 00 Z28 before I got my 02. It was an M6 hardtop with no options ( means no trac control ). I had the stock wheels and tires on it. I was caught in a sudden snow squall and ended up driving over around half and inch of wet snow. Every time I would even go more than 10% throttle the back end would start to slide out. Every stoplight I came to was a pain in the rear, as I had to start out in 2nd gear and go painfully slow. The FWD people behind me went right up my *** the whole time and wondered why I wasn't going faster than 15mph. I got to a big hill before my house and had to apply more gas to make it up , the back end slid left and right the whole way up. Don't even get me started about the curve at the end of the road.

In short, DONT DRIVE A FING CAMARO OR FIREBIRD IN THE SNOW!!!!! Tell your mom to put a down-payment on the hospital bills if she thinks buying a FWD snow car is dumb. I mean, if your paying for it wtf is the problem?
The only thing people should take away from this post is that driving an F-body in snow with stock tires and no weight in the back is not good.

Get some Blizzaks in a 225/55/16 size, put 2-3 50lb bags of sand in the trunk, leave the TC on, don't go WOT. Do all that, and the car will do as well or better than most smaller FWD compact cars with all-season tires. Of course it's still going to suck if you need to drive through 12" of snow, but then again so would anything short of an AWD truck. Only one winter did I have to drive one of my F-bodies in the snow, and changing tires + adding weight took the car from being a death trap in the snow to being just as good as my FWD V6 daily driver was the following year.

End of story.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Disagree. Granted, my camaro is only a V6, but I have very little problems driving in the snow. No, not at 10mph, I've been up to almost 70 in lighter snow, 55 in more moderate snow. The trick is good tires and careful attention to throttle, steering, and braking. Don't go doing sudden movements for example. Shoot, I don't even have any weight in the back except my little basic toolbox and the spare tire. This past weekend I drove to my friend's house in some heavier snow, driving on either just tire tracks or making my own for a good portion of the trip. Almost no issues, just slid a little bit here and there.

When you slide, DON'T GAS IT. That makes it worse. It amazes me how many people gun it when they slip

Oh BTW, my car has no traction control, no limited slip, nothing. Just an open differential "single wheel wonder"
Old 02-26-2008, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

another kids is gonna trash a FBODY :O(
Old 02-27-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crzytown69
another idiot posts

People please- fbodies werent made for snow, however they are manageable in the snow. If you cant drive one in the snow, it is because you lack confidence/abilitly in your driving skills.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crzytown69
Ahhhhh, unless the guy weighs down the back, changes out the tires AND has above average driver skill(for his age).....I would tend to agree with this statement......I have never ditched an F-body, but i know they can get bent out of shape VERY easily.....be careful dude
Old 02-27-2008, 02:18 AM
On The Tree

since you're trying to convince your mother that these cars aren't good in snow i'm assuming you're under 18, but if you're driving a LS1 Trans Am at that age then i'm sure you/your parents could afford a beater for less then $1000. i'm sure you could find a beat up old 4x4 truck. i've gone through freezing rain/sleet on a cross country trip with an A4 and traction control so it can be done, just stay the hell out of the throttle as much as possible. just keep in mind though if you drive like an idiot in snow or ice it doesn't matter what your driving, you won't be on the road very long.

Quick Reply: My mother doesn't believe that trans ams/f-bodies aren't good in the snow. back me up