General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Options options options

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008 | 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaroz
If you didn't feel H/C/I was not fast enough you need more cubes or some bottle... But you've made it clear you don't want to be on the bottle for whatever reason. So I'm going to have to suggest more cubes and a more aggressive cam.
you're probably right. I just might sway toward that 408 iron short block, aggressive cam, and let the rest be until I have the money for the Fast 90 & a good set of heads.
Old 03-04-2008 | 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

or F/I
Old 03-04-2008 | 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Camaroz
If you didn't feel H/C/I was not fast enough you need more cubes or some bottle... But you've made it clear you don't want to be on the bottle for whatever reason. So I'm going to have to suggest more cubes and a more aggressive cam.
Thats about the only other option. My guess is the oposition is afraid of nitrous on a stock block which IMO I agree with. If you have a built motor and more importantly a built drivetrain than nitrous cannot be beat in terms bang for the buck.

My reccommendation on the following circumstance would be to find a 6.0 block and have it cleaned up/machined, etc. Pick away at buying the required forged internals, the stock crank has proven itself so you can save money there but I'd get a 4.0 stroke for a 408ci if going N/A. If you are in a hurry, you can get some half decent heads to slap on it or save up for some really nice ones. Most important thing IMO with N/A is the cam, yes its a combo of everything so keep that in mind with my next reccommendation. Call up a sponsor like TR or Comp and get a custom grind to get what 'YOU' want out of the car in terms of driveabilty, power, etc.

This is a very quick version but the just of it. Obciously you'd need the supporting mods like some nice kook headers and I'd do true dual with this setup. Put the LS6 intake on it in the mean time and save up for a Fast 90/90 setup. Its really never ending and you can cheap out here and there but to me there are only some parts that I'd do it. Internals obviously no, fuel system no, drivetrain no for examples.

The only way to decide on what you want is to research and talk to people with these setups to find how they are and if you'd like them. Nirous ain't for everyone, either is FI. My buddy has had a P-1, D-1, F-1, front mount turbo kit, 346, 408, 427, nitrous, A4, M6, etc, etc. The one he likes the most and currently has is the 427 N/A. Of course there is only top notch parts on it and makes near 550rwhp and torque monster with some 4.56 gears and M6. He told me though, nothing hot hard as that turbo 408 he had though but loves this the best. He's also got it setup for a 250 shot but hasn't tested it yet.

Each to there own, research, research, research and when you think you know what you want........................ do some more research before you decide! So far I've changed my mind on the setup more than I change my socks but I think I got it right this time Remember its the whole combo, not just parts thrown together and there is always something extra that needs to be upgraded once you upgrade something else. A vicious circle but what would be more fun than painting the streets with ease
Old 03-04-2008 | 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by candlelit
you're probably right. I just might sway toward that 408 iron short block, aggressive cam, and let the rest be until I have the money for the Fast 90 & a good set of heads.
LOL, you beat me to it while I was writing my short story.......... or was it a long story I guess I could have just said that
Old 03-05-2008 | 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

keep em coming! any more thoughts on the 408?? or how about making mine a 383?
Old 03-05-2008 | 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

rebuild the 100k mile block and supercharge it
Old 03-06-2008 | 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm really thinking about FI if I can get the money together. That means pistons, rods, bolts, machine work, FI system, and not sure whether a small cam or good heads/intake will be worth the extra? I would then need a rear end & clutch to support this kind of power. If it were a forged shortblock, stock cam, stock heads, stock intake, and procharger 6 or 8 PSI would it get me into the 11's?
Old 03-06-2008 | 10:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by candlelit
I'm really thinking about FI if I can get the money together. That means pistons, rods, bolts, machine work, FI system, and not sure whether a small cam or good heads/intake will be worth the extra? I would then need a rear end & clutch to support this kind of power. If it were a forged shortblock, stock cam, stock heads, stock intake, and procharger 6 or 8 PSI would it get me into the 11's?
You should be able to hit that on street tires lol
One of the guys on here runs 10.5 and less all day long N/A with 4Xcartek stuff with slicks.

If your gonna do heads your already half way done with a cam install(meaning valvetrain upgrade). You can have the cam tailored for your specific setup. And would only cost you another 400 or less
Old 03-06-2008 | 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02T/A-WS6
You should be able to hit that on street tires lol
One of the guys on here runs 10.5 and less all day long N/A with 4Xcartek stuff with slicks.

If your gonna do heads your already half way done with a cam install(meaning valvetrain upgrade). You can have the cam tailored for your specific setup. And would only cost you another 400 or less
I figured it'd cost around $800 or $900 for a cam upgrade (camshaft, springs, pushrods, timing chain, oil pump, etc). which if I'm trying to push out the money for a forged shortblock & FI that might have to wait. and the heads I'm sure I can sell mine & pay a little extra to get a used set of stock heads that helps bring compression down more... but with the dished pistons & a thicker head gasket that could probably wait too. I done some more research and it seems as though after having to pay for machine work, balancing, and assembly I would probably be better off buying one of those pre-assembled 347's from a place like TSP for around $3000... or buying a used one through the classifieds. with the extra few hundreds to get one from a sponsor I would at least know it's brand new and done right, and can turn to them if I have any problems.